The Future of Catering

Here you can read about the latest news and announcements from Heart of Pargon. Only administrators and moderators can start threads here - so this news is official!

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Which option would you prefer (please read expansion in post)

Catering and event price together
74%
Catering as a separate option
11%
Pay per item
No votes
No more catering, we'll sort ourselves out
5%
You decide team, you know better than us mortals!
No votes
Let Rebecca decide, she's great and we love her (added by Ben)
11%

Total votes: 19

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

The Future of Catering

Postby Will » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 pm

Would just appreciate some thoughts on this. Doesn't mean we'll listen ofc :)

To explain option one:
So, there's actually not much difference in how much it costs to feed 15 as it does to feed 25. The more people who have food, the cheaper it can be. By lumping the two together for everyone, we get a bigger number having food, and as a result, food is cheaper. It also makes the event logistically so much easier for me.

Second option is to carry on as is, able to opt out of food, but people who have food end up paying more and I end up getting pissed off at people who who don't show on the day having said they want food.

Pay per item is as it says. We have a much simpler menu, you decide what you buy. Generally a bit cheaper, and flexible, but ultimately risk running out of food, or having too much....

Other two are pretty obvious :)

Vote and comment away!
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: The Future of Catering

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 pm

I voted.
Now I get sex.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

RDB
I'm Special!

Postby RDB » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 pm

A lot easier to budget if it is just included and anyone with fads etc to let us know so we can do as before and cook them something they like.

Paying per item is hell for anyone cooking as you have no idea how many to do and will eat into the budget too much.

Another reason for including is we can do like with the butchers and the posh meat that time at Taw Bottom. Really high quality but as bought in bulk for the right number came within our budget and worked out as cheap as cash n carry. That event was catered under budget but as food was paid for seperately and a fair few didn't turn up or pay, it meant the food budget went out of pocket. Really annoying when i'd meticulously worked hard to keep it £80 under.

Makes catering a nice experince when you can have a precise budget. They can have puddings and snacks and fruit & veg, I never expected larpers to eat it but its all gone as fast as it gets cooked at events now. Again, to afford it and avoid waste is easier if included in the price.

I need to make roast dinner pies. A whole roast dinner in an individual pie. Complete with pig in blanket. This is my latest fad :)

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 pm

Dom and I chatted a little about this over the weekend.

"Pay per item" led to you wandering around with cooked food, enticing people and then saying "I'll add that to your tab"...it was somewhat evil. Also genius.

Catering as a separate option led to an unofficial us and them feel where those who paid for food ate inside and those who didn't ate outside. No one made this happen...it just did.

Catering and event price in one...I don't know...it makes it communal which is good...but some people may not be able to afford it if it almost doubles the event price. However, if it means everyone pays £10 instead of £20 then that's good. However, the problem is that it doesn't matter who cooks there will always be criticism and those people who don't like what is cooked. I enjoyed what we had over the weekend but I think my body would have appreciated less fat and some vegetables/a lighter option. Also, I'm probably a little bit of a snob but I don't like a lot of stuff from Cash and Carry, I refuse to eat battery eggs and their meat scares me (it seems to have too much water injected into it, has too much fat/filler/connective tissue and often tastes bland). None of this stopped me from eating: I just know I wouldn't have eaten the same ingredients at home.

I keep suggesting Rebecca to mother. This isn't anything against you, it's just nice to alternate.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:04 am

Just to add to this last comment: I like your cooking but know it would be even better with more quality ingredients. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear...or anything else that isn't silk.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 am

DW, Becky is more than welcome to Mother June :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Krishena

Postby Krishena » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:22 am

Love your cooking, Will, but more veggies, and perhaps some desserts wouldn't go amiss ;) some carrots/other veggies with that cottage pie would have been amazing
Un-Un-Posessed Hopestarved Human Bard- somehow back o_o
Pink Pussy of BOOM - likely deceased.
Blind Priestess of Balberith
Ex-Half-High elf, now full orc follower of the Golem
Got Dex?

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:27 am

Tome of Magic 6.0

RDB
I'm Special!

Postby RDB » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:50 am

Also important to consider monster and how they affect the budget. Everyone that says they are coming I have always factored into the cost so if they don't turn up, again we damage the budget so I think perhaps if they are going to pay for food then needs to be paid in advance like players maybe?

Would be nice if monsters eat the same as players but that does involve them actually paying the same amount I guess. Not sure how they'd feel about that as i'm aware some people monster as it is cheaper.

Sonny

Postby Sonny » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:58 am

i love foooooooooood... yes that seems like a helpful contribution to this questions.....

i am personally a fan of the price includes food, one nice big package deal, i can understand those who are more picky with their food or diets wanting to provide their own nibbles... hmm tough one, just gimme food please, and lots of it

when i monster im more than happy to pay to aquire myself delicious food, you still arent paying for the event after all, the other option would be making monster food come out of the player budget, but i wouldnt wanna bump the prices up.

so in short as a player would love it under one price, as a monster im happy to pay on the side in a lump for food, keeps my belly all happy after all
I'm not a big fat monster...... I'm THE Big Fat Monster
Sonny "McCuddles" Bigwood ((185))

Return to “News and Announcements”