Some clarifications on calls OLD

Here you can read about the latest news and announcements from Heart of Pargon. Only administrators and moderators can start threads here - so this news is official!

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Thom

Re: Some clarifications on calls

Postby Thom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:36 am

Stevie wrote:How do you know they have a pure-shard weapon, what if they sneak up on you?

"Pure Shard is a uniquely specific type of metal that makes loud noises/ is instantly recognizable on sight/ glows blue when orcs are near"

Put that in. You know its a pure shard weapon.

If someone sneaks up on you legitimately then they deserve reward for it. Since they're holding PS they can't do any fancy essence hand in the air tricks (except Silent Blades. No one plays silent blades).

Tbh, I've only seen PS a handful of times, only once in weapon form. I got hit, fell on the floor, and Dom went off and fought someone else.

EDIT: I get what you're saying Stevie. I just feel that there's not an effective alternative.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:13 am

I think some of the proposed suggestions are decent alternatives, I just feel that the current "Dispel everything, 30 Sec Essence lock-out" is too effective. Don't get me wrong, if I wanted to murder a mage, my first thought processes are, dispel their shields and silence the fuckers.

With the various ideas that have been bounded about, I would probably go for this at the moment;

If you have Pure Shard about your person you cannot use essence and you are immune to all essence used on you. If you are a magical creature (Fey, Elemental, Elf, Demon, most unique races) being in contact with Pure Shard hurts.
Discarding the Pure Shard makes you instantly vulnerable to negative and positive effects but you remain unable to use essence and immune to positive effects for 5 minutes.
If you are struck by Pure Shard then all active spells are dispelled. If at least one spell on a target has been dispelled, the damaging portion of the blow does not take effect.
If you take damage (after armour/dex is taken into account) then you cannot use essence for 30 seconds (this is not cumulative, it's 30 seconds after the last time you were hit). Casting Stamina negates this effect
Dodge takes place before you are hit so you can use essence to dodge the blow thus avoiding both of the above.
Wearing Pure Shard armour makes you immune to magic to that location, if more than 50% of the body is covered, you are completely immune to magic.

So what (in this hypothetical) does a Pure Shard weapon do now?

- Dispels all active spells on hit
- Locks a target out of using essence, unless they have Casting Stamina
- Whilst wielding Pure Shard any active spells on you are inactive (not dispelled, just inactive)
- After discarding the Pure Shard it takes 5 full minutes to be able to use Essence again, at this point, any active spells you had on that were since in-active, are now restored.

What does Pure Shard armour do?

- Immunity to all negative and positive spells to a location. (If more than 50% of the body is covered, the immunity is whole body.)
- Whilst wearing Pure Shard any active spells on you are inactive (not dispelled, just inactive)
- After discarding the Pure Shard it takes 5 full minutes to be able to use Essence again, at this point, any active spells you had on that were since in-active, are now restored.
- You are immediately able to be affected by both Positive/Negative magic.
- Even if the Pure Shard armour is completely destroyed to a location, the Pure Shard effects still linger.

Pure Shard Weapon, still powerful, not broken.

Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:51 am

re: immunity to magic whilst weilding PS:

Ten Tigers, pure shard weapon, can do everything could do before but with immunity to all magic, the ability to still use warrior abilities/chi, and hits like a truck.

Self indulgent but as there happens to be a huge spike of pureshard in the serkanian capital what stops someone just walking to a hill, piece in their back pocket, GG.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:44 am

Luke wrote:re: immunity to magic whilst weilding PS:

Ten Tigers, pure shard weapon, can do everything could do before but with immunity to all magic, the ability to still use warrior abilities/chi, and hits like a truck.

Self indulgent but as there happens to be a huge spike of pureshard in the serkanian capital what stops someone just walking to a hill, piece in their back pocket, GG.

You'd forsake your ancestral family weapon to use a pretty pure shard one? Shame on you for being a power player
............................................................................Image

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:48 am

Stevie wrote:I think some of the proposed suggestions are decent alternatives, I just feel that the current "Dispel everything, 30 Sec Essence lock-out" is too effective. Don't get me wrong, if I wanted to murder a mage, my first thought processes are, dispel their shields and silence the fuckers.

With the various ideas that have been bounded about, I would probably go for this at the moment;

If you have Pure Shard about your person you cannot use essence and you are immune to all essence used on you. If you are a magical creature (Fey, Elemental, Elf, Demon, most unique races) being in contact with Pure Shard hurts.
Discarding the Pure Shard makes you instantly vulnerable to negative and positive effects but you remain unable to use essence and immune to positive effects for 5 minutes.
If you are struck by Pure Shard then all active spells are dispelled. If at least one spell on a target has been dispelled, the damaging portion of the blow does not take effect.
If you take damage (after armour/dex is taken into account) then you cannot use essence for 30 seconds (this is not cumulative, it's 30 seconds after the last time you were hit). Casting Stamina negates this effect
Dodge takes place before you are hit so you can use essence to dodge the blow thus avoiding both of the above.
Wearing Pure Shard armour makes you immune to magic to that location, if more than 50% of the body is covered, you are completely immune to magic.

- Whilst wielding Pure Shard any active spells on you are inactive (not dispelled, just inactive)

- Immunity to all negative and positive spells to a location. (If more than 50% of the body is covered, the immunity is whole body.)
- Whilst wearing Pure Shard any active spells on you are inactive (not dispelled, just inactive)
- Even if the Pure Shard armour is completely destroyed to a location, the Pure Shard effects still linger.

Or we could leave it as it it...
............................................................................Image

Thom

Postby Thom » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:32 pm

Stevie wrote:I think some of the proposed suggestions are decent alternatives, I just feel that the current "Dispel everything, 30 Sec Essence lock-out" is too effective. Don't get me wrong, if I wanted to murder a mage, my first thought processes are, dispel their shields and silence the fuckers.

I'm happy with this, I'm also happy with leaving it as it is.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 pm

The idea of not being immune to positive effects for 5 minutes after discarding an item was to stop people putting down an item, getting an advantage and then picking it up again.

The rest...still considering. I see your point of view Stevie.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am

Dom and I had a chat about this on Sunday and a few things came up.

1 - Have the heads of the "states" outlaw Pure Shard, like what was done with Soul weapons. This would mean that any crafters would have to give any Pure Shard ore in to the authorities or face stiff punishment. Those people who really don't care about the law are the people that could kill mages anyway or would be taken in by the "goody goody" people.

2 - We can't see why a ref would set a random encounter that contains a Pure Shard weapon, thus giving Pure Shard to the players once the NPC dies, unless it was attached to a powerful NPC not intended to die.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:32 pm

2 - We can't see why a ref would set a random encounter that contains a Pure Shard weapon, thus giving Pure Shard to the players once the NPC dies, unless it was attached to a powerful NPC not intended to die.

I agree entirely. However, in the past Pure Heart have been set with Pure Shard amulets and even weapons (or ones with those effects) that have disappeared afterwards. This means the items don't get into player hands but still the call exists to be used against them. I don't particularly like this, it feels a bit cheap.

1 - Have the heads of the "states" outlaw Pure Shard, like what was done with Soul weapons. This would mean that any crafters would have to give any Pure Shard ore in to the authorities or face stiff punishment. Those people who really don't care about the law are the people that could kill mages anyway or would be taken in by the "goody goody" people.

No. It's never existed in a large enough quantity to be considered a threat (except when the Pure Heart were particularly powerful but we had other matters to deal with at the time). I wouldn't want to make an IC law based on OOC concerns (I don't believe players should blur IC and OOC knowledge and feel that refs should be extremely careful doing so). Should something high profile happen due to an increased quantity of Pure Shard that would come to the attention of Erathil, Harwood or whoever then a law would be appropriate.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 pm

Ben wrote:

No. It's never existed in a large enough quantity to be considered a threat (except when the Pure Heart were particularly powerful but we had other matters to deal with at the time). I wouldn't want to make an IC law based on OOC concerns (I don't believe players should blur IC and OOC knowledge and feel that refs should be extremely careful doing so). Should something high profile happen due to an increased quantity of Pure Shard that would come to the attention of Erathil, Harwood or whoever then a law would be appropriate.

Shall I go and kill someone important? (and, no, I don't mean someone who can't have children)

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:22 pm

It would be wrong for me to suggest you kill Sylas anyone for OOC reasons

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:07 am

Ben wrote:It would be wrong for me to suggest you kill Sylas anyone for OOC reasons

;)

Return to “News and Announcements”