A History Student's Compendium

For IC events around The War of Ages Campaign. Do not post here with characters unless they are part of the Campaign

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Edd

A History Student's Compendium

Postby Edd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:26 am

A History Student’s Compendium: Book II, Volume IV – Years 98-132

Chapter III: Of Royals and Rivalry

Following the unexpected death of King Rahl II, in the spring of Year 98, the world was thrown into disarray as to which of his sons should be crowned King. It was never known which of his sons, Ashara and Chistato, was born first, as their births were only separated by minutes, and the fact that they were perfectly identical to each other at birth (Source 3 – Extract II). It was widely accepted, that when his Sons were of rightful age for succession, that King Rahl would name the son he deemed worthiest of the throne. The unusual circumstance of King Rahl’s death was the most troubling factor. King Rahl was at the peak of his health when he died, and it has always been suspected that foul play was involved (Sources 4, 5 and 7).

Ashara and Chistato, devastated by the loss of their father, exclaimed treason on each other’s part, in lieu of a power play for the throne. Nobles from around the world quickly formed allegiances and began backing the Prince that they believed would grant them the most favour as King. The general populace at this time also began siding with the prince that they believed was the true and rightful heir. The world was split into two separate factions, “The Noble House of Ashara” and “The Just Light of Chistato”. This division was the basis and cause for the Civil War that ensued (See Chapters 4 – 6).

Points for Consideration.

1. Analyse Sources 5 and 6 in relation to King Rahl II. To which extent do you believe his anointment was just?
2. To what extent do you believe that Ashara and Chistato were influenced by the respective nobles that sided with them in the War of Blood?
3. Source 8 details the forces that each noble made available to each prince during the War of Blood, what do you

[There is various tear marks which make the next text illegible.]

7. What links can you draw from the Prince’s actions in the war and the rumours that they had command of Essence? Relate your answer to Chapter VII and Sources 4b, 6c and 8 on page 57.
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Edd

Re: A History Student's Compendium

Postby Edd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:54 am

Chapter VI: The War at an End

On the 15th day of Autumn, Year 103, the War of Blood came to its climactic close. On the fields of Landor the two great Armies met, in numbers totalling over 23,500 (see source 13 for a full breakdown of the units involved on each side). The Asharian force, led by Prince Ashara came from the southwest whilst Chistatan force approached from the northeast. On the night of the 15th the armies camped on their respective sides of the field, preferring to rest after their long journeys.

At the break of dawn on the 16th the brothers ventured out into the open fields unarmed and talked at great length. The nature of their conversation is unknown but it has been widely established that before returning to their respective armies that the brothers shook hands.

On their return to their armies Prince Ashara and Chistato both spoke their rousing words to their troops, before the two armies clashed in the centre of Landor field. The battle was hard fought and bloody, with Asharian archers taking the high ground and firing mercilessly on their Chistatan counter-parts. This advantageous first strike was however short lived, as Prince Chistato led his Cavalry charge up a lesser hill, flanking and making short work of the Asharian archers.

The centre of Landor field was quickly occupied by Asharian and Chistatan standard infantry whilst Chistatan pikemen clashed with a regiment of Asharian shield bearers towards the northwest of the field (a detailed map can be found on page 192 which shows the battle plans and movements of both armies – I also recommend J. Parlsons “The Battle of Landor: The Price of Peace”).

Prince Ashara and his Personal Guard rushed towards Prince Chistato and his Royal Cavalrymen meeting on the east crest of Paths End Hill. It is here where the battle came to its climactic end. It is here when the Royal Advisor to King Rahl II, Agvar Kayman – the most famous Essence user known at the time (see page 143 for a full reading on Agvar Kayman) – made his presence known.

Agvar stood between the two Princes and their small regiments, calling them to halt. This is when he spoke his famous “Landor Fields Speech”. Agvar stated that “for too long has blood been spilt on account of your rivalry, your people deserve better than this. It is with your failings that it has become apparent to me that the people no longer need your selfish ways; you have failed your people and your father. For this I am partly to blame but it will go on no longer.” (This is a summarised version of Agvar’s speech on the battle of Landor a full reading can be found in “A History Student’s Compendium: Book III, Volume I”)

[A large rip in the book obscures the next 3 pages]

Source 17b – Witness account [S. Pharing]

“I was only 13 when I served in the Battle of Landor. I was second Squire to Lord Rythmore; a lesser noble on the Chistatan side of the war. I assisted Lord Rythmore in preparing for battle, making sure that his armour was secure, and that his horse was well fed and battle ready. I was back at camp when I saw the explosion on Paths End Hill; the bright purple light engulfed everything. I could just about make out the two armies, and someone in the centre of them, on whom the purple light was focused. I had to blink when the light exploded, it was the brightest thing I ever saw, and when I opened my eyes again the armies had disappeared, turned to ash by the engulfing purple light. It was then that the battle horns where sounded, when the remaining men on each side laid down their weapons and looked to the hill. I knew then, nothing would quite be the same again.”

Edd

Re: A History Student's Compendium

Postby Edd » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:50 pm

Chapter IX: Order after the War

Following the period directly after of the battle of Landor there was perhaps as much disarray as there was preceding it. The country was still very much split into two. The idea that after the battle of Landor neither Prince Ashara nor Prince Chistato would lead was a concept that no-one was prepared for. Since the worlds creation there had always been a monarchy, a singular sovereign body to which all power was entrusted. It is extremely different to the system which we have today, were the power is separated regionally and ruled over by the elected Law Lords.

It was during Steward Agvar’s 13 day reign that he appointed the first Law Lords; trusted men who he believed would hold the public interest in high esteem. Immediately after the creation of the Law Lords Agvar relinquished the power that he had, citing that “no one man should hold so much power”. The Law Lords were to answer directly to the people; they were to keep order and enforce the law in their respective regions. Public elections were to be held every five years to determine whether the current Law Lords would serve for another term or whether they were to be replaced.

Public reaction to the creation of the Law Lords at first was unwelcoming. In the region of Kyris large scale riots were staged by a local gang for control of the area. Law Lord Tyron, the appointed Law Lord of the area met the opposition head on, quelling the uprising before it could spiral out of control. In other areas the opposition was less severe, but it still took vast swathes of the public a long time to grow accustomed to the new way of rule.

Points for Consideration.

1. Speak to someone in your family, or a close friend who was alive before the war. What do they remember of the reign of the monarchy?
2. Do you believe that it was right of Agvar to relinquish the stewardship in favour of dissolved power?

Return to “The War of Ages”