SYSTEM EFFECT: The Heartlands

Official in character announcements about background and plot - Only refs can start threads here!

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

SYSTEM EFFECT: The Heartlands

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:17 pm

This thread is still running as if it were 24th Januvet as time in the Heartlands is now running extremely slowly (this extends to just inside the veil where this is taking place but not as far as the forts).

Anyone leaving this thread will experience time moving extremely quickly as a month (or more) takes place until they 'catch up' with the present. Think of the scene in "The Time Machine" where the sun rises, travels across the sky then sets before becoming night in a matter of minutes.

Anyone entering this thread will do so from the day they first post (i.e. if someone posts today then they know it is the 16th Fevriat and those within the thread have been missing for 3 weeks).

Seen from a distance, the people within the thread seem to be standing totally still.

Teleporting into or out of the thread is probably a bad idea...
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Breccan

Re: SYSTEM EFFECT: The Heartlands

Postby Breccan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:59 pm

could someone please clarify what is going on in Pathway in relation? Surely if time is passing normally then the barrier has fallen and Sinya Palerin has been irradiated, Pathway has been evacuated, etc. ad nauseum.

Also, is there any point in posting until it's sorted? Because events *Now* in the wider world are likely to be changed dramaticly in retrospect by the actions of those in the time distort.

help?
Teyaspa, a wild Everni hunter.

Chee

Postby Chee » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 am

If I understand it correctly (note: Im not a ref/ben so this could be totally wrong) but...

The heartlands with all the mist itself is in a 'time freeze' of sorts while the far north of the heartlands (Pathway and fort drake etc) are running time as normal. Anyone who moves out the time freeze area will experiance a sudden leap in time up until the present. So pathway would have been evacuated by now and only fort drake will have people in it (Uthred and some of his forces). The defences of pathway will have gone down but the part of the heartlands still in the 'time freeze' will have a barrier active until that area catches up with normal time. So post as normal time line in pathway and fort darke and you only need to worry about it if you go south of pathway. The radation is still stuck behind a barrier that exsist while that area is under the influance of the 'time freeze' so the mist can not flood into Sinya Palerin for now so things are prity in the other areas to.

hope that helps.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:05 pm

Errr...possibly. I'll explain it myself as it makes my head hurt.

Basically the mist has yet to go any further than where it's been for the past few months. The reason for this is that although you were told you had 24 hours until the barrier fell, someone/something has slowed time in the Heartlands right down. This includes the protections that surround Pathway and Fort Drake but not those areas.

Therefore if you're in the Heartlands (and an irradiated monster) or mucking about with the ward then it's late Feb, anywhere else (including Fort Drake and Pathway) then it's whatever-today's-date-is.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:51 pm

For anyone who may need a further explanation on how and why this works, please see the below link:

Time Paradox

You should find this very insightful
............................................................................Image

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:32 am

An easier way to explain it is to draw upon years of physics lectures.

Time is relative. it is not as absolute as people perceive it. In certain circumstances, time will flow at a different rate for two people, even if they can observe the same thing.

Anyone inside the radiation area trying to get out will find time speeds up massively for them as they try to leave, until they are 'in synch' with the rest of the game world. Anyone outside trying to get in, they would probably feel like time is standing still, then if they keep going, would perceive time is flowing backwards, until they are back in synch with the area inside the heartlands.

So. Which time is correct? both are. From the frame of reference of outside the heartlands, the area outside the heartlands has the correct time. From the frame of reference of inside the heartlands, the area inside the heartlands has the correct time. They have been able to watch each other though, and you would see the other area appear to be wrong, for instance it might be night one side of the barrier, and day the other. However, this does not mean either side of the barrier is wrong, just different. There is no paradox involved, just silly complicated physics.

Don't worry. If you don't understand this, it just means you followed the explanation. To understand this would be to be able to think at a level a postgraduate can rarely manage. If you think you understand this, you probably don't. Someone once asked a great physicist "You have been referred to as one of the three people in the world who understands relativity". The physicist didn't reply for about thirty seconds, then said "I'm sorry, I can't think who the third person is."

Weird time effects make physicist heads hurt. :)
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:14 pm

I might just apply for a unique to make me travel at a speed approaching the speed of light... then ask a ref if my mass has changed...
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

dainul

Postby dainul » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I refer yo to the ambiguous puzuma.
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Firesky

Postby Firesky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:32 pm

At first, the idea that leaving the area causes you to see the world speed up till present time confused me, then I realised that light would also be affected by the time slow down thing. So now it makes a reasonable amount sense.

Unless of course, I've completely misunderstood everything.
Rev - One-eyed former-brigand - Mega-Perm
Glemara - Hopeslayer who wants to hug you
Rosanki - Rodera fugitive - Dead
Sanju - Cutting off faces before it was cool
Kayzen - Wandering shadow caster
Sacril - Crazy Knife Guy

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:29 pm

Time is back to normal.

Mist is free.