Gerren's Holding, a small town near the Gwerian border.

Official in character announcements about background and plot - Only refs can start threads here!

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

Gerren's Holding, a small town near the Gwerian border.

Postby Huw » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:20 am

Deale Piter, Paladin-Elect of Gerren's Holding, blinked slowly as he took in the scene before him. There was no mistaking the state of the people strewn around the room: death had its own, special, finality. There were no visible wounds on any of them - they could be asleep, provided you accepted that they were all having the same, horrible nightmare and you hadn't seen as much death as he had.

"It's the inkeeper, his family and most of the guests, according to the woman who raised the alarm." The guard seargent held open the door wider to reveal more: a table, onto which something dark and dripping was placed. "The Asternian priest from the temple says she's not lying: she was coming back from a walk and just opened the door when she heard screaming. There was some kind of - creature - inside; she didn't go in, she ran away."

Piter didn't say anything as he stepped into the cellar. No wounds on the people, no sign of any damage to the barrels or the food stores, nothing on the walls. The only thing out of the ordinary was the table, and of course the dead bodies. He stepped towards it and his food scuffed something.

"I don't blame her." Continued the seargent "It's what I would have done. That or - heh - called the guard. Called the guard, that's rich! I'm not sure why the Asternian bothered using magic; she was obviously scared sh- witless, I could tell just by looking at her. Been doing this a while."

He knelt on the floor. A dust circle, a sense of darkness, death. So a ritual, one that killed eight people, summoned something that left no marks on anything. Despite throwing a body into the walls. But how did no-one hear-

"I wouldn't touch the table if I was you. Every mage who's gone near it says that there's something really nasty about it, especially that - thing on it. That's where the Asternian's gone, to get some more celebrants. He wants to burn it, he wanted to burn the whole inn.I told them that was going too far - that much fire, in this season? Surely the lady Asternia knows about closely packed thatched roofs and the dangers, I told him-

How could no one hear this? No God appreciated a quiet ritual, and the seargent was right, the houses here were tightly packed. Surely once people were being killed someone would hear something. Unless...
He stood and crossed to the table. Someone had scratced symbols into it, but what drew the eye was a - steak? A...gibbet, or chunk of some kind of flesh in a bowl. At some point the bowl had cracked and dark, viscous fluid was running through some of the symbols to drip onto the floor. But somehow if felt, to his magic sense, normal - no magical resonance. Under the opressive residue from the circle however, it was hard to be sure.

"-FOOM! No more town, I said. A pretty light show, light the night, that'd please the Lady, but then what about all the people who have nowhere to live? And then you'd burn down the temple, too, and She woulnd't like that now would She? But he insisted-"

"Did anyone see anything? " Piter cut him off. "It's not here anymore, but that doesn't mean it's been banished. Any reports of other attacks or strange sights?" No, there was far too much power used for this to be a temporary summoning. But how did you control something that could kill eight people without leaving a mark? "Where is it now?"
That shut the seargent up. He looked at the walls in apprehension. "I - that's why we contacting you, Paladin-Elect. We don't have the resources to track down anything like this, you've got much more in the way of troops. We thought-"

Oh, yes. A mage - or more than one - powerful enough to summon...something...in the middle of a town, make his/their own ritual circle, and kill everyone in the building. All with no-one knowing until someone blunders in. Lets see, what would that need? Trackers, people with skilled power-sense, fighters, very powerful mages - and that was to find them. Once there you probably had an incorporeal monstrosity to deal with...and he still needed to find out what it was that drove the new offensive from Gweria.
So...that meant going to people famed for their efficency and cohesion. Despite the expense.

"I understand your reasoning. But I don't have the resources to deal with this - we'll need to hire Heroes."

He looked down at the table again. After fifteen years holding back Gweria, he knew most of the emblems and ritual symbols he faced. But nothing was famailiar, not a bit. So this didn't come from Gweria?

TO ALL HEROES

50r REWARD

For information leading to, or the capture of, individuals belived to be involved in the summoning of demons, and the murder of several people in the local area. Any who are willing to help, please report to Gerren's Holding.

Signed,

Deale Piter, Paladin-Elect of Gerrens Holding.

****OOC*****

This is the plot preamble for the weekend event taking place on the 20th August 2010. Pleaes direct any IC queries or comms etc to me rather than anyone else in the ref team.
Last edited by Huw on Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Hatsuo1980

Re: Gerren's Holding, a small town near the Gwerian border.

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:34 am

Is it still a max 120?

Heard a rumour it wasnt going to be
............................................................................Image

Huw

Re: Gerren's Holding, a small town near the Gwerian border.

Postby Huw » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:30 am

Am writing this and some other OOC info right now, in the Discussion & Questions forums.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Return to “Background and Plot”