An idle hunter

For events within the currently ruined Bastion of Hope

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

dainul

An idle hunter

Postby dainul » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:17 pm

The elf is sitting on a rock, one sword drawn and resting on its lap where it had been sharpening it to a fine edge, but now the elf is simply relaxing, waiting for something to happen to stir it into action again. Around its mouth a few flecks of what look like blood speak of the activity that has been engaging its attention recently. It watches in the direction of the Bastion and its hurtful, hateful light.
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Edd

Re: An idle hunter

Postby Edd » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 pm

From the Bastion he notices a figure walking toward him. He can make out the figure of Aquilla, blades at his sides, approaching. Once the Shinning One arrives, he looks at the elf, but says nothing, waiting for the other to speak.
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

dainul

Postby dainul » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 pm

The elf watches as the other approaches. It is a familiar figure, but why? It peers closer, watching the approaching figure's gait and posture, trying to place it... finally, the shards of its shattered mind slide into line and the elf draws its lips back into a grim smile, or perhaps it is a silent snarl. Slowly it feels around the fragments of half-recalled memories, assembling the shape of its past. Why does it feel this... contempt for the approaching figure? Why does it yet want to remain in its presence? The answers slowly fit together as it watches until, by the time the other arrives, the elf knows who it is addressing when it speaks.

"Young Prince," it says, in a quiet, sardonic tone.

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:43 pm

Aquilla shakes his head slightly.

"Aquilla will do Persequor. I am far from home and my title holds no sway any more..."

He sighs slightly and sits on the ground.

"But what of you? You've been in the 'wastes for so long now...is this what happens? You lose your memories? Or has something else happened to you?"

dainul

Postby dainul » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:10 pm

"Aquilla, then." The elder elf drops down from the rock, catching the sword as it drops and returning it to its sheath at the elf's hip. "My mind is in pieces. My memories are scattered. Without effort, I loose them. Am I supposed to know if this is normal?" He pauses and looks at Aquilla again, slightly confused. "Did you have a brother? Or do I have more than one set of memories in this head?"

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:15 pm

"I don't know what you're supposed to know, I can only imagine what you've been through. Yes, I do have a brother - Lophaetus. He is here too, in the 'wastes....your memories. They seem to be a mixture of yours and the Madari spirit inside you...I...I don't know what to do about it. The spirit is what stops you entering the Bastion..."

dainul

Postby dainul » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:22 pm

"Lophaetus.... he is vague." The elf looks over towards the source of the hateful light. "It is not the wolf in me that has broken my mind. I was wolf before I died, but I was intact. What makes that light?"

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:22 pm

"Hope."

Says the Shining One, simply.

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

"Hope..." The elder elf shakes is head dismissively. "And whay does this 'hope' hate me?"

Edd

Postby Edd » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 pm

"She doesn't. The darkness in your soul makes it impossible for you to be in Her presence. She wishes you could come to Her, but while you have the evil inside you, you cannot be near Her, whether She wants you to be or not."

Aquilla shakes his head sadly, knowing how unlikely his mentor was to give up the wolf...

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:25 pm

"So you can keep your pretty cout free of those who see what needs to be done. How... convenient. And maybe you can't feel it, but that light hates. Enough. Did you come here for a reason, or were you just feeling guilty about leaving your old mentor out in the Wastes?"

Edd

Postby Edd » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:53 am

"What needs to be done?! There is never a need for evil. I do what is needed, but I do not do evil. Maybe the mortals who follow the light hate, but She does not. I came here to talk, to see if there is anything I can do to help you get your memories back. However, if you don't want my help and wish to place prejudice over millennia of friendship, then I'll leave."

dainul

Postby dainul » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:13 am

"Evil is as people name it. Not some absolute immutable line." The elf replies quietly. "And I am curious. I am prejudiced because I object to an entity that acts to harm me? Or because I stand by my life's work? I would appreciate help in holding my memories. I do not appreciate your preaching."

Edd

Postby Edd » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:18 am

Before Aquilla can answer, he cries out in pain, green and white light flashing around him. He falls to his knees, his hands flying to his temples as he forces the pain to be gone. After a few moments he seems to calm himself. The gentle glow of white light has faded from him, and the green glow of his eyes has also dulled. The soft white glow from the Bastion dims to a muffled imitation of its former power.

He speaks softly to Persequor.

"Something has happened...I'm sorry, I have to check on the others. I will return though, I promise."

With that he stands, stumbles slightly before enchanting for a few seconds - he streaks across the plane to the bastion in a bolt of lightning. (Blink)

dainul

Postby dainul » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:24 am

Without thinking, the elf catches his falling former student and guides him gently to the ground. As the prince disappears, the elder elf, stands a while looking in the direction he has gone, trying to stave off the inevitable dispersion of his memories.

Return to “Bastion of Hope”