The 'Shattered Sword' tavern

A board for any in-character discussions that want to take place anywhere in Sanga, Capital city and merchant central of Sinya Palurin.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue May 23, 2006 10:04 pm

Practise? heh. You will learn little simply sitting around and thinking about it. The only real way to learn trading skills is to be involved in the process.

What are you doing tomorrow?
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue May 23, 2006 10:06 pm

*Takes a sip of his drink.*

"Tomorrow? I was planning on working on my armour crafting skills. Why do you ask?"

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue May 23, 2006 10:09 pm

When next you can spare a day, I suggest you follow me around. I trade herbs, minor potions, maps, travel route information, and so on. You will learn more simply by joining me for one day, than you would in a year simply thinking about what to do when trading.

It's the standard Everni philosophy. Get out there and try it

*Nathaniel is smiling for most of the last half of this little speech*
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue May 23, 2006 10:18 pm

*Smiles with Nathaniel.*

"When I am confident about my wears then I will join you. I know I can create better and until I succeed I will not even think about trading."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue May 23, 2006 10:22 pm

As you wish, though trading is not an issue of selling your best. It is an issue of persuading the buyer that what you have is better than what they can get elsewhere. Either because your quality is better, your price is lower, or the journey to someone else would take too long.

These skills can be learned by selling anything, and you do not need to be overly familiar with what you are selling. Sometimes, getting bogged down in technicalities will simply confuse the buyer. This can be good at times, but not always.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue May 23, 2006 10:45 pm

"I think the perfectionist streak is the High Elves in me."

*Chuckles at his own joke.*

"Still you do have a valid point. Give me a month and I will be ready then, if I am not then I will make do with what I have mastered by that point, agreed?"

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue May 23, 2006 10:48 pm

Of course. I shall be coming and going as usual, but I shall make sure that in one month, I am in this tavern, with plenty of things to sell the good people of this city.

Of course, based on how quickly you have mastered the basics of your trade, a month should be more than enough to learn the skills you are looking for. I've done some asking around lately, and it seems that to make the dagger you showed me earlier, it should take a two year apprenticeship...

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue May 23, 2006 10:53 pm

*Only Nathaniel can see that his eyes widen with surprise underneath his hood.*

"That long? I suppose those people do not have the knowledge in their minds to start with though. When I create things it is like re-mastering old skills, which is why it takes me so sort a time to learn."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue May 23, 2006 10:57 pm

True. Also, an apprenticeship is not always the best way to learn.

Many treat an apprentice as a servant, not a student. I would not expect someone to learn alchemy from washing bottles out, for instance...

Anyway. Once more, time has dragged on without me noticing. I have to meet someone fairly soon, and must take my leave. As usual, it's been a pleasure speaking.

*Nathaniel stands, nods slightly, and leaves the tavern*

Return to “Sanga”