The 'Shattered Sword' tavern

A board for any in-character discussions that want to take place anywhere in Sanga, Capital city and merchant central of Sinya Palurin.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:31 pm

I ask for no aid in the task, and usually do not take such drastic measures, following and adventuring partry or armed patrol usually gives be a decent subsistance. If it is any consolation she will not feel a thing."

"Tell me what you think is in this tankard?"

*Aratain.*

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:34 pm

*Nathaniel sniffs carefully at the tankard, and looks slightly confused*

Seems like a slightly watered down 'Frozen Mage' to me. Were you about to go somewhere with this question?
Last edited by bedevere on Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:36 pm

*Reaches over to tankard and concentrates briefly, turning the liquid within to a deadly poison.*

"Now what it is?"

*Aratain.*

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:42 pm

*Sniffs the drink again*

Hmm. That's a new one... Exactly the same ingredients, yet they have taken on a strange new aspect...

*After a few moments, Nathaniel works out what has been done, and nearly drops the drink in surprise*

Impressive, if worrying. There are certain people who would pay a lot of money to be able to do what I now suspect you can...
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:49 pm

"As I said the esscense of a High Elf who died near me was absorbed, and becamea psrt of me. All High Elves can do as I do."

*Makes a display of 'accidently' knocking over his tankard.*

"Now if you'll excuse I must have some dinner before she causes the loss of another life."

*With this he stands and goes to the woman's table and asks if she would like a drink. Little does she realise what it is she will be drinking. After the drink is finished the woman seems to become sleepy and Aratain offers to 'take her home' leading her out into the night.*

*Aratain*

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:53 pm

*Nathaniel sighs to himself, and mutters something, before returning to his table in the corner. Within minutes, he is back as he started, mostly asleep.*

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Mon May 01, 2006 10:17 pm

*A new day dawns and the Tavern is open for business as usual.*

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sat May 13, 2006 9:05 pm

*Cloaked and hooded Aratain walks into the tavern looking for an old friend. Knowing that the said friend will notice him first he walks to the bar and orders two drinks.*

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat May 13, 2006 9:06 pm

*Nathaniel is sat at the usual table, occasionally writing something in his notebook. As usual, he doesn't even look up*

Good evening, Aratain. How have you been?

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sat May 13, 2006 9:11 pm

*Moves to the table and places a drink in front of Nathaniel and then sits opposite him.*

"Well enough. I have been working on techniques of forging, trying to draw on the knowledge that now resides in my head. It is not as easy I would have thought, and with out a proper forge I am struggling."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat May 13, 2006 9:15 pm

Hmm. I know how that feels. Getting the basics for alchemy took me long enough, and I found it better to adapt to what I could afford. Nature has infinite variety, which made things much easier for me in this.
Possibly, this wouldnt work for forging, though. I'd imagine that there are limited options for working metals.

So. How much does a forge cost, these days? I assume you've looked into making a deal with a local blacksmith?

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sat May 13, 2006 9:21 pm

*Sighs*

"Of course, however he does not want to see competition arise and has been very reluctant. I am instead having to make do with tools I can scavange from the markets in a shed out the back of the tavern where I now reside."

*Takes a sip of his drink.*

"The local Blacksmith has made it difficult for me to aquire materials and tools which meakes my learning non the easier."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat May 13, 2006 9:25 pm

*Nathaniel frowns*

Not that I know anything of smithing, but how hard can it be to acquire materials for an adventurer? Simply take a large bag with you, and collect the weapons of everyone that tries to kill you. By the end of a day, you'd have enough to equip a small army, surely?

As for tools, those might be harder to get, but you only need get them once. With help, you might be able to make your own set.

*Nathaniel has been folding a piece of paper as he speaks, until it resembles a very crude and small dagger.
He then gets a bottle from a hidden pocket, and pours a small amount of liquid over it, resulting in it transforming into a metal dagger*

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Sat May 13, 2006 9:33 pm

*Sips his drink again.*

"Whilst that will help, I need to learn from the raw materials. If I smelt done the weapons I will be working from already tempered materials. Still it is worth considering."

*Looks around the tavern.*

"How has business been going for you?"

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat May 13, 2006 9:40 pm

Business has been getting better for me. I've been getting a lot better trade lately. It seems that time was indeed the only thing needed to let word spread of my talents.

I may well have enough money soon to try a few new ideas I've had for recipes. Maybe even improve ones I already know. I'm hoping to improve efficiency in making a few that I anticipate being popular. Invisibility, endurance, maybe one or two others...

As for my litle trick with the paper, I did not think it would solve many of your difficulties, though it might allow you to make proper tools. Once you have those, you need only the raw materials. Fair enough, worked metals may not be as good, but they will get you some money still. That money can then be used to compete effectively with established businesses round here. I had similar troubles when I started, just not as bad. I've yet to meet anyone I'd call a proper alchemist, to be honest. Just a load of people who know the most basic of potions, and think this makes them special.

You, however, are trying to learn a well established trade from first principles. You have advantages I did not, and hindrances I did not. I wish you luck overcoming the latter.

Return to “Sanga”