The Sign of the Spitted Pig

A board for any in-character discussions that want to take place anywhere in Sanga, Capital city and merchant central of Sinya Palurin.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:56 pm

**Drake smiles at her again** Just one thing? That's unfair when I'm such an inadequate.

**His face turns serious**

Almost all the bad things in my life stem from one incident about a year ago when I prayed for the soul of the sister of a friend who had been turned into a werewolf and then slain.

Unfortunately, what I didn't realise was that I was praying in a holy place of the Midari. The soul of one of their champions entered my body as did the soul of my friend's sister. The Midari fights for control over me and she stops it from taking control completely. Unfortunately sometimes it is stronger than others, usually at certain times of the month but sometimes when I am angry or tired it can fight her power and take control of me.

I can't believe I'm telling you all of this. Because of this I have committed some acts that bring me nightmares every day. It's not something I can change exactly, but if there was one thing that could be different...I would have stopped the Midari taking her in the first place. However you can'cahnge the past.

If there was one thing I could change that is actually in my power? It would be to be myself once more.

Oh and I haven't, you know...heard enough about you I mean.

**Drake**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Aurea

Postby Aurea » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:11 pm

“To have your actions controlled by another force… I know exactly what that feels like.”
She gives a bitter half smile and glances away, as if recollecting painful memories.
“I wish you luck in finding yourself…”

She sighs, then turns back to Drake with a small shrug
“I don’t know what else there really is to say about me. I’ve lived a life that I’m not particularly proud of… I’ve also done things I regret…
What would you like to know? I could talk about growing up in the grime and sleaze of the backstreets of Sanga… I could talk about being forced into a profession that everyone despises except when they are currently paying for the service…
Or I suppose I could talk about my hopes for the future… what I’d like to do next.”

She smiles again, a flicker of hope in her eyes
“I prefer that option…. I’ve had various offers of apprenticeships and guilds… but to be honest, I don’t think the skeletons in my cupboard will stay obediently out of sight. I don’t want to drag those people down into my mess as well…”

The flicker of hope dulls completely
“I can’t move forward because of the chains of my past… and I’m certainly not going back until he drags me. Hence the limbo… the padlocked crossroads…”

**Briar**
DRAGONS!!!

"Burundi? ...Isn't that some kind of drink?"
"Just remember two things while you're out there - don't get shot and avoid machetes... then you'll be fine"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:30 pm

I don't want to scare you off or try to convert you, but I'll let you know now that I'm a celebrant. I follow Yashmanar god of knowledge and know-how. He's a very accepting god: caring little for good, evil, law or chaos. He doesn't ask those who follow him to act in a particular way and doesn't judge people on their actions.

All he asks is that those who follow him have a passion for learning. Some of his followers are great craftsmen, concentrating on individual skills. Others, like myself, simply want to learn more about the world around them. If you're finding somewhere to belong is difficult, it might help you. Even if it only leads to a greater piece of mind and helping you find somewhere to belong.

Beside **he lowers his voice and leans in conspiratorily** you have a disarming way with people, I've noticed just from talking with you for a short time. It's good and I'm impressed, if you were interested you could use that to find out information that could be useful and indeed valuable.

**He raises his voice again and sits back** Anyway, something to think about. What were we talking about? Ah yes, the future. Your turn, what is the one thing you would like to change?

**Drake**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Aurea

Postby Aurea » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:54 pm

"I'm not really sure..."
She considers the options for a moment.
"Bearing in mind that you can't change the past... I guess the one thing I'd change... would be freedom."
She rests her chin back on her hands, an almost dreamy expression on her face.

"Freedom from pain, freedom from fear. Freedom from outside influence... freedom to choose what I want to do, and to do it... without fearing for the consequences."

She turns back to Drake.
"That's possibly why I'm not religious. I can't bear the thought of willingly tying my life down to some other power. There is so much that I have little choice over - I couldn't bear to submit to something else."

She pauses for a second and lowers her voice
"Even if what you just said was true... and I admit, the idea of developing a skill like that definitely appeals...
I just couldn't do it. I couldn't sacrifice what little freedom I have left."

She sits back in her seat, and shrugs
"Besides... why should I follow a god that has done nothing for me in my life. He's just sat back and watched everything fall apart - then expects me to worship him? I could only give my worship to something I trust and consider worthy."

She smiles
"And of yet... nothing has ever come close to either of those criteria!"
DRAGONS!!!

"Just remember two things while you're out there - don't get shot and avoid machetes... then you'll be fine"

dainul

Postby dainul » Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:02 pm

The door opens again, and a fairly tired-looking wolf-boy cautiously enters the bar. As he stands in the doorway, it's quite clear he's been in a fight of some sort, the fur on his right shoulder and up that side of his neck is matted and bloody. He sniffs the air a moment before looking over to Drake and Briar. He moves over to them, standing in his habitual stoop to one side of the table, sniffs them each again in greeting, and then finnally speaks. "Hello."
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:08 pm

Freedom is a state of mind, perhaps the only really freedom any of us have is in what we believe in. Even when I was... **he stops dead**

Actually, you don't want to hear about that. Let me paint a picture for you.

Imagine a world where the gods intervene directly in our day-to-day lives. Would there really be any point in us living if the gods simply controlled us? We would have no freedom at all then. Even if they didn't control us, if they intervened they would fight each other: they'd have to. Velnashar would fight Mektar, law against chaos. Lenamo, god of life, would fight the gods of death. Lenanuki god of peace against the god of war. The world would be destroyed.

Personally I believe the gods work more subtlely and instead of simply clicking their fingers and changing your life, sometimes they just make a suggestion and you do something you might not otherwise have done. Perhaps it's coincidence we met, perhaps just when one of us needed some help a little voice in our heads said "why not go to the tavern?".

**He smiles again**

A bit too deep perhaps. How about this. I don't believe Yashmanar expects me to worship him. I don't know whether I do truly "worship" him in the purest sense of the word. I believe in him, he's never directly asked me to do anything but he grants me power and knowledge when I need it and if he asked me to do anything I would do it.

As for your last point...perhaps I'm not worthy, but I hope you can trust me.

**As he finishes speaking, Drake notices the wolf. He twists in his seat to speak to him**

Hello, I forget your name but I think we met a few months ago. Are you okay, you look as if you've been in a fight?

**Drake**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Aurea

Postby Aurea » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:59 pm

Briar’s eyes flicked quickly to the wolf boy, rapidly scanning his face and mannerisms. She smiled in recognition, and inclined her head as a greeting. Without waiting for the wolf to respond to Drake’s question, she continued her side of the conversation.

“Like I said, there’s no god that I would personally consider worthy of worship.”
She pauses for a second.
“If I was to submit to a deity, I’d want a god who was all powerful, controlling everything. Not one who meekly waited in line with all the other gods… waiting for his turn to show off to mortals below.”
She laughed at the image of gods taking it in turns to show themselves.

“And yet I’d want him to know me, to care about me. I don’t want to be just another statistic… another number that follows the god. Can you imagine the conversation?
“Oh how many followers have you got now”
“hmmm, not sure, 1000?, 2000?”
“Ha, I beat you, I’ve reached the 2500 mark! I’m a better god than you are!””
She laughed again, leaning back in her chair and shaking hair out of her eyes, at the absurdity of the imaginary conversation.

“No… I’d want him to really know me… prove he’s a worthy god… even knowing me better than I know myself… For example…”
She tilts her head to one side, her eyes scanning the room as she searches for an example.
“…knowing the words I’m going to say before I say them… or knowing… knowing how many hairs there are on my head.”
She reaches up and pulls out one of her hairs, with a grin
“Ooops… one less now.”

She drops the hair onto the floor and resumes her favourite chin resting on hands position.
“Seriously though… I’d like my god to know what it’s like to be human. Not stuck up there distant and far removed. I’d want a god that knew about pain…”

She looks down, wrapping her arms around her body as if comforting herself
“Real pain… like having a sword slash through your flesh…”
She closes her eyes with a slight shudder, then pulls herself together and continues.
“…without the whole “oh-you-can’t-hurt-me” immortality confidence thing… Only someone who actually knew what it is like to suffer would be able to comfort me… Someone who knew the real meaning of sacrifice…”

Suddenly realising how rude she was being, she turns back to the wolf boy,
“I’m sorry…”

**Briar**
DRAGONS!!!

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:50 pm

You want an all-powerful God who can be hurt? An all controlling god who grants you freedom? Believe hard enough and you may create the god of contradiction.

**Drake**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Aurea

Postby Aurea » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:02 am

Briar laughs again,
"Maybe... who knows!"
She regains a serious expression, sits back and runs a hand through her hair.
"Until then, I think I'll remain blissfully irreligious. You're welcome to your beliefs... and I'll keep mine to myself."

She glances around the tavern again, before absent mindedly returning her tracing finger to the wood grains on the table top.
"I've been here too long."
She taps the table a couple of times, then sits up straight in her chair.

"I'm too jumpy to stay still... moving about at least makes me feel I'm keeping one step ahead."
She grins
"So I won't bore you with my company any longer. "

She rises to her feet, pushing the chair back with a scraping noise. She turns to the wolf-man.
"I'm sorry to disappear like this, it's nothing personal... I've just been sitting here for too long. It was nice to see you again... perhaps I'll catch you later."

She turns to Drake and places a slender hand on his shoulder. With a briefest of glances to check who is in earshot, she leans down towards him, her lips inches away from his ear. Her voice is lowered extremely discretely
"This is your last chance to change your mind. If you feel you are exploiting me, you are more than welcome to pay more than 5 rava, I certainly won't turn extra money aside!
As for adding to my pain, I doubt that would be the case. At least it would mean I don't spend the whole night sitting awake and paranoid, waiting for the door to be broken down."

"I'm leaving now, and I'll walk very slowly down the main street. You'll have about 10 minutes to catch me up before I disappear from sight. It's your decision."
She kisses him lightly on the cheek, then straightens up, her voice returning to normal
"It's been nice to get to know you Drake, I hope we meet again at somepoint."

With a final nod to the wolf-man, she heads for the exit, and slips quietly out of the door.

**Briar**
DRAGONS!!!

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:05 am

**Drake sits there for a few seconds then reaches up and touches his cheek before standing up and following her out into the night**

**Drake**

Tome of Magic 6.0

dainul

Postby dainul » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:51 pm

Kester watches the pair leave, and stands staring at the door for a moment. He flexes his arm gently, and winces at the new waves of pain before loping off into the city in search of a familiar-scented Water Elf.
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

bauldin

Postby bauldin » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:05 pm

Just after this all happens Yaholo is beginning to look slightly worse for wear, and begins to start shouting loudly, he then gets up and throws the table, causing a really ruckus, he is also looking quite drunk, but he seems to be speaking clearer with it

Whats the point there not coming back

He then starts towards the bar, the barman has ducked out of sight but two gentleman are standing in the way, in what seems like no time at all both of the men are lying on the floor unconsious, after that about 5 men march through the front door, and wrestle Yaholo out of the Tarvern.

Once outside he throws them all off walks back in picks up his axe and walks out on his way out he kicks one of the mens head

**Yaholo**
I am the oldest man in the system being over 7000 years
I am Sharon's Granddad
Edd's great granddad
I am also Alice's great great granddad

If you too want to look this good at my age call me

And this isn't even my character

quillkeeper

Postby quillkeeper » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:32 am

*A man walks into the tavern and straight up to the bar. Due to his down cast gaze his facial features are hidden beneath a wide brimmed leather hat. He has some hushed words with the barman a small piece of parchment is placed on the bar. The barman looks at the parchment and seems to struggle with recollection, but then another piece of paper, the red paper of a Twenty Rava note, appears on the bar and the barman's memory problems seem to disappear.*

*After some more hushed words the stranger leaves the tavern, taking the first piece of parchment with him. A brief lifting of his head shows his mouth beneath the brim of his hat, he is smiling.*

bauldin

Postby bauldin » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:16 pm

Kerrigan walks into the Tarvern goes up to the barman and asks

Have you seen a gentleman who goes by the name Uthred, Drake or Blake?

At not getting a positive response Kerrigan leaves

**Kerrigan**
I am the oldest man in the system being over 7000 years
I am Sharon's Granddad
Edd's great granddad
I am also Alice's great great granddad

If you too want to look this good at my age call me

And this isn't even my character

Sizel

Postby Sizel » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:29 am

**Blake wanders down stairs, then over to a table. He spreads a sheet of paper over the wooden table top and starts laying out some glass beads**

"Hmm...
Wonder if this works too..."

**Blake**

Return to “Sanga”