Meanwhile, back on the Colourful Isle...

For events on Brockman Isle (aka The Colourful Isle)

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

Meanwhile, back on the Colourful Isle...

Postby Huw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 pm

A building is being constructed, a short walk from the docks. It's not enormous, but it's possible to see from the foundations that it's going to be a fairly big shop/house once it's completed. Beside it is a sign:

Ancálimon’s Alchemical Supplies
Potions, information and alchemical research

There is a picture of a floppy hat and a book.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

bedevere

Re: Meanwhile, back on the Colourful Isle...

Postby bedevere » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:36 pm

*From one of the arriving boats, a man dressed in simple furs alights. After thanking the crew of the ship, he walks up the docks, and very quickly notices the shop being constructed.

He approaches the people at work, and waits until one does not look occupied before speaking*

Good afternoon. I've just arrived, and this sign caught my interest. Is this Ancalimon around to speak to?
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:05 pm

By now the building is more or less complete. Three humans are lowering the sign, via ropes, from a scaffold onto hooks above the door. The human overseeing this turns to the new arrival.
"The elf? Nah, he's not here. Only turns up to check on us when he remembers. Which is almost never. He's living in the old manor for now, you might try there."
He points up the road slightly, towards a much older looking building. Outside the main entrance is a group of athletic-looking Larkants and something that looks like a small bush, all jogging in a circle.
He then turns back to the building site and shouts at the humans on the scaffold "Needs to go down on the left - it's wonky! Borric! Lower!"

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:09 pm

*He nods*

My thanks. I will seek him out immediately.

*He walks off in the indicated direction, paying some considerable attention to the animate bush as he does.*
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:34 pm

The Larkants are engaged in some kind of ritual exercise. One wearing a decorated headband occasionally yells out numbers as some kind of instruction, and they all engage in choreographed movements. The animate bush is, as far can be told, humanoid under it's covering of twigs and leaves: bipedal, with two arms, about the size of a small child. It's having to run quite fast to keep up with the adult-sized Larkants.
"Four!" Calls the leader.
"Yaaaaay Grace!" Chorus the group.
"-aay Grace!" Shouts the bush in a high-pitched voice, late.
As the exercise goes on, it becomes obvious that the bush is somewhat clumsy, stumbling a lot and getting the actions wrong. Nobody in the group seems to mind, however. Occasionally one of the group smiles at its efforts.

They are all very intent on what they're doing, paying little attention to what else is going on.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:42 pm

*He sighs, and keeps walking towards the house*

A new land, even new life, it seems, and already they are being taught to be soldiers. Pity.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:55 pm

Inside the house, a servant spirit directs the man upstairs, to where guests bunk. This floor has a main room with two doors, one to the right and one to the left, as well as the entrance to the stairs. In one corner is a neat pile of fairly old-looking weapons, and over several bunks are blankets and pillows. There is a small table on the right, with a very large pile of herbs and grass placed messily on it and a glass bottle. There are so many herbs on the table that they are spilling over the edges and onto a chair behind it.
The door to the room on the left is shut and has a lock on it. The door to the right is shut as well, and there is a faint, almost magical, glow to it.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:10 pm

*He calls out, even as the unusual herbs on the table get his attention*

Hello? I am looking for Ancalimon.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:09 pm

Most of the herbs at the desk abruptly sit up, sending loose flowers and leaves flying into the air.
"Hello-and-welcome-to-Ancalimons-Alchemical-Supplies-my-name-is-Brakken-but-my-friends-call-me-Broccoli-how-can-I-help-you!" They shout in a high voice very similar to the animate bush outside.
The creature giggles at the newcomer. "Did I get you? Did I get you?" It demands excitedly.
Last edited by Huw on Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:26 pm

*He chuckles*

You would have, but your scent gave you away. There was another very similar to you outside, with the Larkants. I've got a very good nose.

Nice to meet you, Broccoli. My name is Nathaniel.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:41 am

There is a small huff and a leaf detaches from the creatures face, to tumble towards Nathaniel and float to the ground just beyond the desk.
"Where did you get it? Did you steal it from a beastkin? Can I get one? Willow's mummy says I don't have a nose..."
He thinks about something for a minute. "But he can't grow flowers on his face, so NEUURR."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:56 am

My sense of smell... I've been an alchemist for a long time, and a tracker for even longer. Both of these trades tend to develop a good sense of smell, so mine is... well, I don't know of anyone with a more acute sense. And as for growing flowers on your face? That is a most unusual talent indeed.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:00 pm

As Nathaniel watches, a bud appears, swells, and then blooms open in the space of about 4 seconds. The area in which Broccoli would have a nose under the foliage now sports a small orange flower.
"I can't do it very big yet." Says Broccoli. "I'm better at thorns."It looks at the alchemist. "Me and Quilla put soil and seeds in Mr Drury's hair, so that he could grow flowers too. But he brushed it all out."
He thinks for a moment. "Mr Ancalimon is weird. He makes little plant soups and then cooks them, so they don't do what they did before. Daddy says he doesn't use plants right, but I think they're fun."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Ah, alchemy. Yes, by applying the right heat and other conditions to certain things from the natural world, it is possible to alter their properties. Some think it a kind of magic, and in a way it is. It follows the same natural laws that magic does, albeit by extremely different methods.

Still, I would be interested in speaking with Ancalimon. Is he around at the moment?

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:07 pm

It doesn't look like Broccoli's been paying attention, but at the mention of Ancalimon it turns back to Nathaniel:
"We-at-Inigo-Trading-are-sorry-to-inform-you-that-our-al - our ak - our, alch-er partner, is-away-and-with-much-busyness-at-the-monent." He says all in one breath. Then after breathing in: "Willow says he went to a path-way. But me and Quilla looked and he's not on any of the pathways."

The words "Yaaaaay Grace!" drift in from outside.

It's only a game.

Return to “Brockman Isle”