Meanwhile, back on the Colourful Isle...

For events on Brockman Isle (aka The Colourful Isle)

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

bedevere

Re: Meanwhile, back on the Colourful Isle...

Postby bedevere » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:49 pm

*He chuckles*

Ah, Pathway. It's the name of a place, a long way away. Where I've just come from, in fact. Ah well. I need to look around the island, too. Is there anyone that would be able to show me around? I'm interested in seeing the plants and animals, learning all I can of them, and if there are many more of your kind, I would be very interested in speaking with all of you.

Who is Quilla, by the way? Anything to do with Aquilla?
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:54 pm

"Quilla's my best friend! He's a plant like me an we've got the same daddy but different mummys except my mummy is a woman and Quilla's mummy is a man who doesn't live here anymore. My mummy says he's away fighting evil."
There's a very small pause. "What's an Aquilla? Is it like Quilla but bigger? I think Quilla will be as big as daddy some day, like me. Our daddy's a big tree, taller than all the humans! And he's got a big sword that I get to play with sometimes." He gives Nathaniel a conspiratorial look and leans closer. "It's really heavy." He whispers.

If Nathaniel has sense power, He might detect a metamagic spell go off in the room to the left, behind the door.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:52 pm

*Nathaniel is about to reply, when he sniffs*

What was that? Smelt... Kind of like a high elf, without the elf... magic? Damn... I can smell that now? Is there someone casting magic in there?
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:39 pm

***Isn't it amazing that:
a) Magic has a smell, which hasn't been mentioned anywhere else
b) Nathaniel can smell a spell cast on the other side of a magically sealed door the very instant it's cast
c) Despite apparently never having smelled magic before, he instantly knows what it is and thinks it worthy of comment. ***

Broccoli's head turns to face Nathaniel.
"Don't be silly! No one can get in the door when Mister Ancalimon seals it, Willow tried but she couldn't do it and she's the best with magic apart from her mummy. How did they get in, me and Quilla tried the window once but he caught us and kicked us out." He grabs one of the alchemist's trouser legs and tugs insistently towards the exit.
"Lets go and see Rosa! She'll show you all the plants in her book, she writes everything down and she's teaching me and Quilla and Willow to write and about someone called Yoshmaner."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 am

**Nathaniel has sense power 2. This is how I'm roleplaying it. This is enough to recognise the presence and sphere of magic. So no. Not amazing, really. Just having the legitimate in game ability to sense magic, and presenting it in a novel way. So...
a) Yes, he can smell magic, by having sense power 2.
b) No time delay is mentioned in sense power indicating effect
c) I would be surprised if someone sensed magic for the first time, and DIDNT comment.**

Well, there was magic went off in there, I'm sure of it. Nothing else I can think of would smell like that. A contingency, perhaps? A warding of some kind? Hmm. Maybe a teleport? *Nathaniel sniffs again, trying to see if he can detect any scent of a person recently arrived or left*

Ah well, Lets go see this Rosa you speak of. Sounds like she knows a lot that might be of interest.

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:50 pm

Broccoli is still for a moment? "Tellyport? Maybe he tellyported into his room..."
Suddenly he jumps very high in the air. "He's back, he's back!" There is a creeak from the room, as if from a floorboard, but that's all that can be heard before Broccoli runs up to the door and starts to jump up and down, banging on it.
"Mr Ancalimon Mr Ancalimon there's a man here to see you with an amazing nose who says he's an alcih-thingy and wants to look a the island I was going to go and get Miss Rosa but she's busy with Brock in the woods! Willow's downstairs playing Grace shall I go and get her she wants to know when you'll take her tellyporting and me and Quilla want to play Tingenglif can you make one please please please-"
There's a muffled voice from behind the door, and after a short while - Broccoli yelling all through it - the ward on the door goes down. The door opens inwards to reveal a youngish high elf in a floppy hat. His head goes up and down, up and down, watching the now silent Broccoli bounce, until the small tree stops.
"That's better." He says. "Now what-
Catching sight of Nathaniel, he looks up and glances at the newcomers appearance. "Who are you?"
Broccoli gets up and runs out of the door. "I'll get Willow!" He yells as he descends the outside stairs.
Ancalimon smells like a normal high elf, mixed with some herbs and alchemical mixtures Nathaniel has never smelled before.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:08 pm

Ah, Ancalimon, I presume. Good to meet you finally. My name is Nathaniel, and I came to this island initially to explore, and see if there were any interesting plants here. I believe I have already met a few, but when I saw your advertising sign, I sought you out immediately. A fellow alchemist would be able to offer much more detailed insights into the properties of the local flora, I would assume.

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:32 pm

Ancalimon smiles. "Oh, capital! I've heard of you. Actually, I have something that you might be able to help me with - but I have a feeling that's going to have to wait..."
As he finishes, there's a sound outside like a small wooden stampede and no less than three small, animate bushes burst through the entrance and all start yelling at once.
"I'm not going to do anything unless you speak quietly like civilised creatures!" Ancalimon shouts over the racket, arms in the air. This, after a while, achieves something like silence.
"Good. Now what do you want?"
"Wanna play Tingenglif! Make a Tingenglif!"
"Yeh! Tingenglif!"
All three creatures start to dance around Ancalimon in a circle, chanting "Tingenglif, tingenglif". He sags a bit, turning to Nathaniel with an apologetic smile.
"I'm sorry. This will only take a minute, then we might be able to get some peace." He goes into the room again and comes out holding a rolled-up rope and a bag.
"Right, you lot - outside. We're not doing it in here and having you break something again." Then he turns to Nathaniel as the three bushes run outside.
"You might want to come and see this, it's quite a sight."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:55 pm

*Nathaniel raises an eyebrow*

I'll watch, certainly. There are few enough new places left for me to go, I'd like to see all I can of this one.

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 pm

They walk outside, down the stairs and down into a nearby patch of woodland, the small tree-people giggling and pushing one another as they run ahead. Quite soon they reach a clearing in the forest with a grassy field. Ancalimon squats to touch the earth, then throws out the rope. One of the tree children grabs the other end and runs with it, so that it is more or less a straight line down the centre of the field.
He points to another one. "Now don't tell your mother." He admonishes with a stern finger.
"No Mr Ancalimon." Says Broccoli.
"Tingenglif! Tingenglif!" Calls the one on the end, voice identifying it at the one that was exercising earlier.
Ancalimon takes the end of the rope and begins to cast. Oddly enough, all three of the children stop moving and stand, patiently and quietly, in a line, raptly watching him cast. They seem fascinated by a display of magic.
"-Create a line that none may cross, all their efforts to be cast backwards and their journeys thwarted. May this rope represent a mighty wall of repulsion, to throw all comers back. From the magics within me I bid that this rope be more than it seems."
Before he's even finished, one of the children starts to run full pelt at the rope. Just as he does finish, it jumps into the air and is sent flying backwards with a flash.
"WHEEEEEEEEEE!"
The other two immediately do the same. In an explosion of magic and dislodged leaves, they are sent cackling and bouncing across the field only to get up and take an even longer run-up at the spell. Ancalimon grabs his hat and a leaf from where it drifted beside him and runs back to Nathaniel.
"Stand back - they're not always predictable in their trajectories." Behind him, one of the children just manages to dodge before another lands on it. Completely undeterred, they both laugh and start running again.
"Now, what did you want to see?" Ancalimon shouts over the noise.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:47 pm

Everything. I've travelled the world for as long as I can remember. I've been just about everywhere, so a new island, with new life, and apparently, new cultures, how could I resist?

I'm sure you've guessed already, I'm interested in learning of the local plant life, both animate and otherwise, and I'd be interested in learning what you've discovered already, if you are willing to share such information. I can either pay if you wish, or teach you some recipes from my own knowledge, or any other arrangement you care to suggest.

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:30 pm

Walking away from the ballistic tree children, Ancalimon smiles.
"That sounds great. I'm not sure how to start, really, there's so much to say...I'll gladly trade recipes with you, though I think most of the plants here won't grow outside of the island. It's fairly unique in that it's so temperate with a very high level of magic. Here."
He passes the leaf that fell off one of the tree children to Nathaniel. "This comes from one of the children. They were identical when they were born, but very quickly developed differently. This one is from Quilla, who doesn't spend too much time with the Grace worshippers and non-tree people. He's the shyest of the three - which isn't saying that much - but more often than not he's wrestling with Broccoli. So the leaf is quite tough, but grows into different shapes and flowers very easily - if he hides in the forest no-one except another of the tree-folk can find him."

They've been walking up a hill as Ancalimon speaks. In the distance a circle of stones is visible as is a sense of latent power.
"If it had been Willow," The high elf continues, "The leaf would have been very different. I know she can sense magic, and I wouldn't be surprised if she can cast it quite soon. She can't hide nearly as well as Quilla, because she spends so much time with me in the settled areas, but her speech and writing are much better. So the leaf would have been thinner, shone more, her bark less hard."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:18 pm

*Nathaniel examines the leaf carefully*

Interesting. Very interesting. Are you familiar with Boltab, by any chance? This has a few qualities that seem similar to me. *Nathaniel fishes around in his bag, and passes over a single leaf, wrapped carefully*

Perhaps this might help your research, and mine. Mind you, I have so many projects these days. Absolute invisibility potions, all sorts of things related to the Midari, and one little gem I think I'm almost ready to test. Contingent alchemy.

*He passes over two bottles.*

Two of my personal favourites from my research, and the recipes are... complicated. Regeneration, which will work with your natural healing systems, but hyperaccelerate them. If you are injured, no matter how far in the future from drinking it, you will be healed. It has a limited capacity, of course. About equal to the effects of a bolt spell, if you are not unusually resistant or vulnerable. The other, a modification of my Soulless potions. Does the same, but with your spiritual energy, not physical wounds. Both are a gift to you, though the recipes are too complicated to work out from just the potions, of course.

Oh, by the way. Are you aware that your name is the same as the Earth Elven royal family?

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Ancalimon looks a bit lost with all the things in his hands, and stops walking.
"Yes, I'm quite aware of my name's history. My parents had a lot of opinions and aspirations for me."
He puts the Boltab leaf in his pocket and looks a the two potions. "I don't mean to offend - I'm sure these are very interesting potions. But I'm not interested in just owning potions as much as I am knowledge of plants. I'll take a look at these but with such different flora to work from I think it will be a bit pointless for me."
He puts the two potions in his bag and takes out the Boltab leaf. "I haven't seen one of these since I started studying alchemy in Dvarni. Neutralising the poisons in it to make a healing draught was one of the first lessons..."
Suddenly a though occurs to him. "The Midari? what are you doing with them? I might be trying to do something similar."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:20 am

Those potions are a gift. Drink them or study them if you wish, but I doubt you'd work out the recipe for them. Some of the ingredients are almost impossible to find, and I know of no alternatives. Still, like I said, their effects will last years, until actually needed. Nothing like having the ability to recover from physical and spiritual injury to improve your survival chances.

As for the Midari? I've been studying them for years. Several of my potions are based on what I learned from them, but for now, I'm studying ways to combat them. Either a remedy for their condition, or a venom that works like the Star Tear weaponry that I still can't believe they destroyed...

Basically, I know how they work, just about, but I am yet to find a way to be able to do much about it. Their biology is exceedingly complicated, and in extreme cases, seems able to recover from even death. Disrupting this quality in their most powerful individuals would not be easy at all. Their more common examples are tough to fight, but can be defeated with enough application of traditional types of violence. I would not recommend trying it though.

Interesting thing, not known by most. The Midari were originally a tribe of humans. Banished before the great betrayal, they've returned only recently. Where the whole werewolf thing comes from, I do not know, but since so many of their numbers are werewolves, people have apparently begun to assume that one term means the other. It might as well, since I've yet to even hear of a Midari that does not at least aspire to become a werewolf one day...

Return to “Brockman Isle”