The Colourful Island: Shrine to All Gods

For events on Brockman Isle (aka The Colourful Isle)

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

Re: The Colourful Island: Shrine to All Gods

Postby Huw » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:25 pm

"Oh, erm, if it's samples you want, then I can't really help you. It's part of my contract that I only own, as it were, the research on the plants. You'll have to talk to Inigo - the man in charge of the Island - if you want to take any, well, physical samples back. Maybe if you assure him that it's for research purposes only, then maybe he'll let you take some - or more likely sell you some. You're free to copy any of the research I have, however."
He thinks. "I am busy, at the moment. While of course there's the matter of this demon werewolf and curing lycanthropy, there might be something to be gained by looking at Galantine's sample - do I still have that, or do you?" He checks his bag "Anyway, I'm also expecting to move soon; I think they've finished the shop. You could help me, at least, by aiding us moving my effects out of the bunkhouse. As well as giving your advice on the theory I have for this Serkenian lycanthrope."
Kneeling at the Shrine to Lenamo, he takes a sprig of the plant and tries to break it off. For some reason, though, it seems too tough to break.
"That's odd. Why is it so hard to do this?" He takes the sprig in both hands.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Boltab, at a guess. bark tougher than steel. I've only ever seen one thing kill a Boltab tree, and that... destroyed an area several miles across. If you want a sample of Boltab, I always carry a leaf and a little bark with me. Not easy to get samples, but I can teach you the techniques, if you wish.

In terms of curing lycanthropy, I've been researching it for years, but recently I've run out of decent materials to do any research on. I've asked several heroes to bring back samples of blood, offered a decent reward, but despite talk of several encounters with werewolves, I've had nothing brought back.

I can help you move your things as well, no problem. I'm well equipped to assist with that in particular. *He grins broadly* You'll see what I mean later on.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:25 pm

"That doesn't make sense. From what I've heard of Boltab, I thought they were enormous trees, and they didn't grow white berries...also, when Broccoli took one he didn't have this trouble." He frowns. "It practically fell into his hand, according to Willow. Mind you, they could be lying..."
He shuffles back. "If you think you can get a sample, feel free. I'd like some of the stalk more than the berries."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Well, I doubt it is traditional boltab, but it seems similar, from what you say. Probably a new form of plant life, based on what you have said about this island.

*Nathaniel fishes around in his bag for a moment, before passing over a vial of grey liquid*

Here. Apply a drop of this to a spot of it, and it will be as soft there as any normal plant would be, for a few minutes. Well, assuming it reacts in the same way, but I can be sure it will not do any harm, certainly.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:52 pm

((OOC: What does this substance do? Also, the plant on the shrine looks nothing like any Boltab tree that Nathaniel has ever seen. Even from a casual glance - shouldn't a plant have leaves? And be green?))

Ancalimon looks at the substance in the vial, takes off the lid and sniffs it. "I'll try, but..."
He tips a small amount of the plant, but it simply runs off, with no visible effect. He takes the sprig again and pulls.
"No, that's done nothing." He frowns.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 pm

((OOC. The substance does exactly what he says. Softens Boltab enough to harvest, albeit briefly. And Boltab are not green, nor do all plants have leaves. Your initial description made it sound very Boltab like, so I based my IC reaction on that.))

Ah well, worth trying. Boltab looks quite similar in some ways, and was created by Lenamo in the beginning. Clearly this plant here will need more study. Though... Hmm. The local plant lifeforms, they claimed they removed a part easily? Perhaps it reacts to life forms native to the island? Or, as you observed, maybe they were lying.

*He shrugs*

There is a lot on this island that I've not had a chance to study yet, and this is just one more little bit. You've been here presumably since the first ship arrived, or near enough, so I expect your insight on this one would be better than mine.

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:09 pm

"Well this is very...annoying. Without this how can I try my cure for-
The sprig falls off the plant and lands on the shrine. Ancalimon stops in mid-sentence.
"Eh." He picks up the plant and bows his head to the shrine before getting up. "Now why did that happen? Maybe - anyway, now I have a theory to test." He turns to Nathaniel.
"I'm going to go back to the bunkhouse - I'd like to get started on this before I get distracted again, probably by Willow and the others. Feel free to come back - that's where all my notes are at least, and your experience with werewolves might be useful. Or, feel free to explore the island as you want."
He starts to walk towards the shrine entrance, nodding to the spirit as he leaves.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:16 am

I think I will wander the island a little, before heading back, if that is alright. I'll not be all that long, and I will not disturb anything, I give you my word.

*Nathaniel bows slightly to the spirit, before heading back outside as well.*

Huw

Postby Huw » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:15 pm

***About a week and a half later***

"Alright, alright, calm down. Take a, a breath and some time to calm yourself. Then, tell me again, but more slowly."
The Shrine spirit wrings her hands in agitation. "A breath! It's the shrine of Gerethenax! It's been destroyed! One of you must have done it! It's just like, like the God of Earth is gone!"
Borric pinches the bridge of his nose. I'm a builder, he thinks. Why am I the first one to arrive here? I don't know about the gods. "Spirit, how - why ?- would anyone here do that to the Shrine of Gerethenax? There are no worshippers here, no Eremethal or Velneshar worshippers or anyone who would do that. Please don't just jump to conclusions."
"She's right," Says Ancalimon, crouched over the ruin where a circle of stones had once been. "It's like there is nothing here, no magic, no faith - just a hole in the ground." He holds up someting like a brown, small, shrivelled, mouldy potato. "And the tubers are dead - again. The flowers turn into tubers, but then the tubers die. It's o- AAARGH!"
He jumps up as the Eremethal plant settles on his hat, jetting blue sparks. As he jumps, it flies off his head and begins to circle the egdes of the room. Borric is certain he can sense something just beyond hearing.
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Ancalimon takes off his hat and scratches his head. Then, he produces a small pod, about the size of his thumbnail, from his hair. As it comes out, it pulls at the individual stands of hair, as if they are attracted to it.
"Ah. It appears to be seeding."
The spirit runs after the plant, waving her arms. "This thing's been insufferable ever since it happened! Can't you do something about it? You brought it here!"
"It also looks much bigger than before." Says Borric.
"Yes, yes, it does, doesn't it?" Ancalimon jumps in the air and tries to grab the plant as it passes. "I could try pruning it, I suppose. If I could catch it, that is..."
Eventually the plant is caught, though with minor burns all round. Ancalimon leaves with a handful of thankfully non-sparking cuttings and seeds and a thoughtful expression, and the shorn Eremethal plant skulks back to hover over its Shrine. As Borric takes his leave, the shrine spirit is still standing over the Shrine of Gerethenax, looking worried.

It's only a game.

Return to “Brockman Isle”