The Colourful Island: Ancálimon’s Alchemical Supplies

For events on Brockman Isle (aka The Colourful Isle)

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

The Colourful Island: Ancálimon’s Alchemical Supplies

Postby Huw » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:37 pm

The shop is now complete, and a steady stream of people are carrying items of furniture, boxes of bottles, rugs, bedding and plants in pots across from the communal bunkhouse. Three humans with a very large rune-inscribed plant pot held between them carry it through the doorway, while Ancalimon watches and winces every time they bump it into something.
This goes on for most of the day, but as night draws in, Ancalimon runs across with one last plant in a cage and shuts the door behind him. Then, the door opens slightly and an arm emerges to flip a sign on the handle around so that it reads CLOSED, instead of OPEN. Then the door shuts again.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Huw

Re: The Colourful Island: Ancálimon’s Alchemical Supplies

Postby Huw » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:48 pm

Several days later, Ancalimon is working in his new laboratory. The door is sealed with magic, and another sign is hanging off the door. It reads:

Busy - Please Do Not Disturb

It is the middle of the day, and a door marked WILLOWS ROOM on the other side of the hall is ajar and swaying slightly in the wind.
From the lab comes nothing but silence, and the only sound is the words "Yaaaay Grace!" filtering in from outside. Then, there is a thump, a clatter and the sound of something shattering from inside the lab. Willow's door slams shut. Something growls like a dog, and Ancalimon can be heard giving a startled yelp which turns into a frantic spell verbal.
"-repulse you! By the powers of metamagic I drive you into your constituent elements and render you destroyed, I crush with an implosion!"
After a pause, one final verbal.
-unseal this door." The door swings open and Ancalimon is revealed, shaking. He has a lump on his head and some scratches on his arms and hands. There is no evidence that there was anyone else in the room, though a chair has been overturned and a couple of bottles have been shattered. The elf re-adjusts his clothes and goes somewhat hesitantly downstairs.
Last edited by Huw on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:29 pm

*Nathaniel, who has been wandering the island for days, almost completely unaware of how much time has passed, senses the sudden bursts of magic in a short time, and realises that something very bad might be happening. A few minutes after the last of the spells are cast, he arrives at the door, looking out of breath*
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:25 pm

The front door is open, to let the breeze through. Inside, there is a modest lobby area with mostly empty shelves to display wares. There are some small bottles on display, a few with potions in, and some rolls of parchment. There isn't anyone in sight; lying on the floor in front of the counter is a note that reads:

Be riTe Bak - BroClli

There is the sound of some pottery clinking behind a door on the right. On the right is an open door that opens up to a staircase. Nathaniel hears someone else running behind him.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:07 pm

*Nathaniel turns round to greet the person running up*

Any idea what happened? I noticed the magic going off, and knew it was too much to be something peaceful...

Huw

Postby Huw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 pm

The man, a sweaty Larkant builder who had been involved in the construction of the house, is carrying a tree-child on his shoulders: "No idea. Willow just said she could feel magic in the house and insisted I come here."
"It was like mummy making a tingenglif," Says Willow with an air of great knowledge. "But there was something else there. And he did it more."
"Beats me how she knows." Says the Larkant, "Must be the time she spends with that much magic." He shrugs.
"In! In! Giddyup!" Shouts Willow happily, waving her legs and pulling the man's hair in the direction of the door. The man walks forward, and as they enter the house Ancalimon opens the door on the right, holding a cup.
"Ah, Nathaniel, Borric." He says, "You heard the commotion? It was - unexpected. But I think I've made a breakthrough."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:35 pm

Good to hear. I trust nothing... overly violent took place? I noticed a lot of magic going off, and I didn't think that much would be for anything peaceful.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:36 pm

Ancalimon holds up part his damaged sleeve with his free hand. A cut is visible on both his arm and the sleeve, as well as a couple on his other arm. A smell like a scared High Elf comes from upstairs and leads to the room Ancalimon emerged from. The cup in his hand radiates a smell of brewing tea herbs.
"Yes, there was...I had expected something like this, but not so much. It's what someone I know would have termed "Danger Alchemy."
"Mummys hurt!" Says Willow, eyes wide. She pulls Borrics hair again "Down, down!"
"What In Grace's name were you doing, Ancalimon?" asks Borric "Wrestling that demon plant? Alright, alright, down!" He kneels down and Willow jumps off him to run upstairs.
The elf sighs. "It's not a demon plant, Borric. It's a plant infused with Quarin. And no, I've been researching Werewolves."
Last edited by Huw on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:54 pm

*Nathaniel looks at Ancalimon's injuries*

Nothing life threatening, but I'd expect they hurt a lot. Here, drink this.

*He passes over a vial of grey - white liquid. If identified, it contains a few doses of vitaea potion*

Were you injured by anything potentially infectious?

Huw

Postby Huw » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:30 pm

As Nathaniel holds out the potion, Willow comes back downstairs with a tiny mortar and pestle and runs out the house. "I'll make you a potion mummy!" She calls as she runs out the front door. Ancalimon takes Nathaniel's potion and beckons him and Borric into the other room, which looks like a kitchen/dining area. He sits down at a table.
"Thanks," He says, uncorking and sniffing the potion before gesturing to opposite seats on a small table. "I don't think I'm going to need all of this though. Is it going to denature if I drink only part?" He takes a sip of tea.
"Anyway. I have, I think succeeded in purging the Serkenian's blood, though I'd like you to have a look at it to be sure, Nathaniel... but I was attacked by the Werewolf aspect of the infection. They weren't very powerful" - he waves a lightly scratched arm - " but they were incorporeal. If I hadn't been able to use magic, they might have done some noticeable harm."
A voice comes in from outside the window "-roots as well, they'll make it taste better and more healy. Now we need water."
"I know!" Says another voice "Lots of water in the sea let's get water from the sea!"
Borric looks up. "Wait, wasn't Broccoli meant to be watching the shop?" He walks to the front door.
Last edited by Huw on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:54 am

My potions don't denature over time. It's a simple trick to secure a preparation against spoiling, one of the few things of use I was taught, way back. Anyway... Incorporeal werewolves and demons, that's something I'd be wary of going up against on my own, regardless of how powerful I expect them to be. Even the normal kind are very dangerous. I don't know of any demons that infect by their attacks, but werewolves are believed to do so. I can probably detect a lycanthropic infection in your blood, if you do not mind me checking a sample. Not that we'd be able to do much about it, but you'd at least know for sure.

Anyway. I take it you learned something? If the parts were easy to fight, then I take it you like the idea of splitting it back into it's separate entities and dealing with them that way?

Huw

Postby Huw » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:20 pm

Before Ancalimon speaks, Borric says from the door:
"Er - if you're not hurt, Ancalimon, and there's no danger, I think I'll let you get on with your conversation. Praise Grace and all that..."
He leaves. Ancalimon doesn't seem to notice as he talks to Nathaniel: "Hmm. I suppose it might be worth checking, I might be infected...in any case, let's get back to the lab. Hang on."
He gets up and pours more tea from a pot on the table before walking to the door to the entrance area.
"Oh, did you want some? I should have offered earlier. I wonder if Borric wanted some as well." He looks at the main entrance as if he's going to go outside.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:05 pm

No thank you, I'm fine. And if you prefer outside, I do not mind at all. I'm much more of an outdoors person, to say the least.

Huw

Postby Huw » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:39 pm

The elf looks at him distractedly "Wha? Oh, no. never mind. let's just go upstairs. It shouldn't take long." He glances at the floor, pushes his spectacles up his nose and then crosses the entrance area towards the stairs, sipping from his cup and spilling some tea slightly.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:08 am

*Nathaniel waits the briefest of moments, before nodding. As he stands, he takes out a hip flask, takes a sip, and follows him upstairs*

Return to “Brockman Isle”