The Colourful Island: Ancálimon’s Alchemical Supplies

For events on Brockman Isle (aka The Colourful Isle)

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Huw

Re: The Colourful Island: Ancálimon’s Alchemical Supplies

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:52 pm

They walk upstairs into a landing area, with 4 doors. 3 of them are closed, including one that says WILLOWS ROOM; Ancalimon walks to the open one. Inside, on the side, is a small paraffin heater, some flasks, tubes and bowls. These seem like the only things that are clean and tidy in this room. On the tables is a random collection of bottles, a couple of samples of the plant that was growing on Lenamo's Shrine in the Shrine To All Gods, some notes, some other plants that look to have been simply left alone and are quite dried out. Some of them seem to have been knocked off the table on the floor, a large part of the floor is covered in broken glass.
Mounted above the table on the wall is a sign that reads:

Label Clearly
Keep Notes
Measure Twice
Eat Somewhere Else

Ancalimon puts his cup on the table so that it obscures the word Eat and picks up a tiny bowl, hands it to Nathaniel.
"Here, it's the blood sample I took from the Serkenian - I had mixed it with something to stop it from drying out, but even that has been purged. I was right about the Lenamo plant."

[The bowl contains blood of the same race as Kira, as well as a common medical anti-coagulant. What is interesting is that they are currently separated like oil and water. The only thing that is mixed with the blood are some finely ground fibres. The whole bowl has a faint feeling of Life magic.]
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Hm. It has removed the impurity from the blood? Or was this the result of something else? I can smell what I presume to be life magic on this, is that a property of the plant, or has some magic been used as well?
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 pm

"Okay, I'll explain."
Ancalimon leans over the table. then realises that he's still holding Nathaniel's potion bottle. He puts is down and selects two of the many plant cuttings on the table which he holds up, one in either hand, as he turns to Nathaniel "Now, these two have similar properties to each other - this" He waves a spindly plant with a tiny white flower in his left hand "will bolster someone's natural defences against diseases. This one" he wiggles his right hand with a white stalk "will purge any poisons or unnatural substances from someone."
As he is talking, there's the sound of some small people coming up the stairs, making quiet dok sounds on the wooden floor.
"So! By combining the two, we have a potent curative. Possibly enough to deal with a Werewolf infection, but when I tried just those two, it was a failure. Why? I think bec-
"Mummy! We made you a healy potion!" Broccli, Quilla and Willow are standing by the entrance to the lab. Willow walks proudly into the room holding her small mortar and pestle, which she offers up to Ancalimon. He puts down the herbs and takes it off her.
"Oh, thanks...I - what's in this?" A brief look of horror flashes across his face as he sees the murky brown liquid in the mortar. A soil-encrusted root and a yellow flower are protruding from the mess and trailing over the side. "What's the er, fire flower, for?"
"That makes it more colourful,"she says "And taste better. Drink it!"
His mouth slightly open, Ancalimon stares at the mortar in his hands. "I..."

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 pm

I have already provided a restorative potion, but we thank you for the effort you have gone to, and should either of us become injured soon, we will remember your potion, if you do not mind leaving it for us. You have both of our thanks.
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:51 pm

"But mine's better!"says Willow unhappily. "It's got a flower in it! Drink mine!" She stamps her foot.
Ancalimon takes the pestle and begins to grind the flower into the potion. After a bit the mixture begins to bubble and a smell of dirt and seawater becomes prominent.
"You can't mix these together, Willow - this would do more harm than good, see, it's boiling..."
"I told you the flower was a bad idea!" Says one of the other children from the door. "Stupid-Tree-Face!"
Willow looks at the mortar, for a moment. Then, she runs out the lab wailing, opens the door to her room, goes in and slams it shut.
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I'm not a Stupid-Tree-Face! You're a Stupid-Tree-Face! You can't even make a, a - a nothing!"
Broccoli and Quilla go over to her door. Ancalimon, suddenly exclaims.
"Ouch! Ow ow ow," He puts the tiny mortar down on the table against the background of tree-children shouting at each other. "Oh dear."
"-fine! Stay in there and be a Stupid-Tree-Face all by yourself!" Shouts Quilla, clomping down the stairs. Broccoli looks at Willow's door briefly before following him. As he drops out of view, there is a crash and the door vibrates. Willow shrieks something inarticulate.
Ancalimon shuts the laboratory door and leans against it.
"I, er, right. Where were we? Curing Werewolves?"

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:00 am

Apparently, yes. Though it sounds like you've made more progress than I have already. Perhaps these new plants are indeed the key.

Huw

Postby Huw » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:57 am

"Ah, yes. Right." Ancalimon walks to the table and takes a couple of sips from Nathaniel's potion bottle. Then he corks the bottle and hands it back.
He picks up the two herbs he was holding before, "Pure White Flower. Lenamo..." he waves the white plant sample distractedly "Lenamo Stalk. Between them they should be able to purge anything. But they alone didn't work. Why not? It took a while, but then it hit me - a plant of Lenamo is, of course, magic! And since the sample was from a Serkenian..."
He looks expectantly at Nathaniel, but seems to excited to wait more than a second and cuts him off before the man can speak.
"Serkenians are resistant to magic!" he throws his hands in the air like he's conducting an orchestra "So, I had to try and make something that would get around this - and it turns out that I have something that was promising growing in the Garden - have you seen the garden, by the way? It'd probably interest you - but that can wait. What you hold here is the blood sample I took from the Serkenian woman mixed with a purgative formulated especially for Serkenians. And it works! And that's why I was attacked by the infection, it had nowhere to hide." He grins happily.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:21 am

Interesting. Perhaps seeing how the plant performs when mixed with Onlurins plant as well? Being the god of magic, and the protector of Serka Kemi, the nature of it may well also perform as required. Still, if we have a functioning sample, it remains only to test it on a living subject. I don't suppose you have one of those lying around? *He says with a grin*

Huw

Postby Huw » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 am

"Well, there's the woman who gave me the blood sample. Her name was Kira, and she was in Pathway last I checked: the Healing Centre. But that was last week, and heroes tend to move around a lot. It's probably a - can you teleport? I can get there right now, but I can't take anyone with me, sadly. Oh, and before that I need to make a dose big enough for a person... how many of these can you find?"
He waves the Lenamo cutting and starts to scan the detritus on the table.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:37 pm

I am good with foraging, I'll get what you need in a few minutes, no problem. As for teleportation? I've no talent with magic, but I have a talisman which I won in a game of chance.

*He fishes around in his bag for a few moments, a lot more of his arm disappearing than seems possible, given the small size of the bag*

Here we go. Not magical, I know, but I'm told it's recharging, and will be fine to use again soon. Once it's ready, I'll be able to head back as well.

Of course, if you can teleport, you could lend the knowledge of the spell to someone for one use of it, let them teleport, then you'd get the knowledge of the spell back, and be able to teleport again. Threan did that a lot, but I expect it was the Traveller who suggested it to him. Certainly his style of magic to do so.

Anyway. I'll go find you some more ingredients, and be right back. It's ok to pick what I find, yes? I recall you said that the plants were considered someone's property, or something like that? I take it formal law is established here, then?

Huw

Postby Huw » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:35 pm

Ancalimon shakes his head. "No, never mind. You can't find Lenamo plants in the wild, the only one I know of is in the Shrine. I'll get it. What you can do is - erm, follow me."
He opens the door and goes down the stairs, through the kitchen/dining room and to a door at the back. He dispels the warding on the door and opens it; it leads outside, to a secluded and slightly raised area with a view of the sea and the port. It's full of plants in pots and surrounded by a small wooden fence.
"This is the herb garden. Can you please get some more of this," he passes one of the plants in his hand over "I think about as much again, with flowers attached if possible. I'll be back after I've visited the Shrine."
He walks back into the house, leaving Nathaniel holding a small, spindly plant with a white flower, which looks like a largish shrub in the corner. There is the sound and sense of him casting something, then silence and a sense that he is gone.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:55 pm

*Nathaniel sets to work, examining all the plants carefully before picking anything, aware that it could be easy to mistake plants he is not familiar with, if he does not pay attention.*

Huw

Postby Huw » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm

There is a flash and burst of metamagic behind Nathaniel, inside the house.
"Found it? " asks Ancalimon as he pokes his head out the door "Ah, good. So - now we've got everything, let's get going."
He practically runs back up the stairs and into the lab, barely checking to see if Nathaniel is following. Once he's inside, he looks down at the messy table and pauses.
"Erm, right." he searches the table briefly. "Er, can you, get started on the purgative? There's all you'll need over - It's a basic suspension of the pure white flower" he gestures to the plant Nathaniel was harvesting "- and this -" he hands Nathaniel a couple of white stalks.
"It's very basic, just a standard suspension in water: the essence of the flowers and the stalks. It'll be easy - and all the stuff on the side here" he gestures to the equipment on the side "is clean, and there''s pure water in the bottle here. I'll get, er, this cleaned out and make the reagent to get past magic defenses."
He picks up Willow's small mortar and pestle and leaves, shutting the door behind him and leaving Nathaniel in the lab with the untidy table. Shortly afterwards, there is another burst of metamagic, and later still a smaller feeling of water magic being cast.

It's only a game.

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:30 pm

*Nathaniel clears a small place on the table, and gets a compact but well designed alchemy laboratory apparatus out of his bag, despite the impossibility of it coming from such a small bag.

He sets it up on the table, and begins work, sipping form his small flask every so often*

Huw

Postby Huw » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:15 pm

After a smal time, there are two more metamagic burst. Footsteps come from the other side of the building, getting closer, and then Ancalimon knocks on the door and opens it. He looks at the portable laboratory that Nathaniel is working on, to the equipment stacked at the side, then back to the set.
"Where - where did that come from?"
Staring curiously at the portable lab, he absent-mindedly puts a very small bottle of some red liquid down on the side and the small mortar & pestle, as well as a jug, in a bowl besides the door.

It's only a game.

Return to “Brockman Isle”