The small port town of Lunte Bay West.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

spsblue

The small port town of Lunte Bay West.

Postby spsblue » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:10 pm

The port town on the West side of Lunte bay - known as Lunte Bay West or simply West-side to the locals was a bustle with activity.

The fishing boats were due back in later this evening and the inhabitants were busy preparing the market for their families. Several ships had been off at sea for the last week and the first few had returned this morning. The rest were due in later today or tomorrow.

Captain Malcom Gwentluck was one of those humans that often got mistaken for a dwarf - his thick beard, his sea-knarled hands and his fondness for sitting on the deck of his ship, puffing at his pipe and watching the view all contributed to this mis-apprehension. He'd been quite pleased with this last journey - the crew had performed well and having that larkant Healer Lass on board had really helped when Benar had sliced his hand gutting fish and arguing with Dren at the same time. Although the catch wasn't great. Perhaps he'd look at ferrying passengers or cargo - the Norwood had a fair amount of cargo space and reasonable living-quarters.

The ship drifted the last couple of metres to the dockside and the Captain made his decision. Soon a notice was erected by the gang-plank.
" Ship for Charter. 50 Rava a day. Any destination, any cargo. "
and then in smaller letters underneath
" Subject to Captain Gwentluck's final decision. Speak with the Captain here or at the Inn of the Diving Dolphin. "
Andy Cooper or
Kestrel Updraft (Avian scholar)
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)
Corporal Cynrick DEAD (3)
Fionan Druce (Life Elf Druid)
WOA: Jasper Methlar (Telefret High Mage)

rachel

Re: The small port town of Lunte Bay West.

Postby rachel » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:14 pm

Kezzia leans over the edge of the boat, watching the waves lap against the sides of other nearby fishing vessels. She knows she should probably grab a few hours kip while she can; her arms ache from unloading crates of fish and she has no idea how much money the crew will make from them. If its not enough the captain won't employ her for the next voyage and she'll be back on the road again. But the sea soothes her. It reminds her that one day she might feel ready to go home.
Characters:
Haze: A distrusting feline. With a mask.
Safina Kor: Human warrior from the Kor tribe (because everyone knows men can't fight... ;))
Singe: Child-like efreeti scout.

Litzana

Postby Litzana » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:11 pm

A very unusual person sat by the side of the dock, watching the boats come in. What first appears to be thick armour on her back is in fact a shell, attached to her back. A hood partially covers her face and a plain brown staff lies by her side.
The turtle-beastkin notices the captain and watches him, but doesn't say anything.
Less talking, more stabbing!
Litzana - Undead Shadow Elf
Eryssa - Light Elf celebrant of Lenamo
Ana'Tuin - Turtle High Mage
Willow - Brockling Alchemist
Beacon - Prismatic Sorceress
Arileth - Dragonkin buffbot

BlueTressym
Location: Exeter, but known to frequent Velmaneth, Haven, Evereska (FR), and Palmire City (Island Kingdoms)

Postby BlueTressym » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:43 pm

An assorted group of people appears at the docks and begins making its way along the wharf. Most of the ships there look too small to carry the whole group, until...

"What about that one?" Amavaine spots the notice and goes over to it. She reads it then looks around to see if there is anyone present who might be 'Captain Gwentluck'.
(WoA): 'Lia' Goldmoon; Light elf Celebrant of Lenamo
Kendra; Cat, Curious, - and ALIVE!
Mirya Sohail; High Mage and expatriate
'Rilla' Moonheart; "Bad-Ass Life Elf" - ?!?!?!
Amavaine Kalythaer; Elven/Avian Sorceress

spsblue

Postby spsblue » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:50 pm

The Captain is indeed present, and noticing the large group looking at his notice he slowly and carefully puts out his pipe and leans over the railing.

" Greetings and fair weather. What can I be a doing fer you. Be yar interested in chartering the Norwood? She's a fine ship. "
Andy Cooper or
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Vana cuts in, clearing his throat politely.
An expedition to the North, sir. We here were hoping to make a trip on behalf of the Arcane University to do some research upon certain magic and creatures of the North, as well as furthering our research on a more delicate level, mostly in the field of water magics and subsequent applications in the North. Regardless, we require a vessel to get there...if we could work out something, it would be perfect, sir, I do admire your ship, she looks quite capable, so I feel we can trust you with such a delicate matter.

Vana, privately, hated boats. He swam everywhere. He wasnt much of a fighter, but he knew he was fit, because he SWAM. Boats seemed like cheating...
As it turns out, our battle plan is NOT "Synchronized Panicking"

spsblue

Postby spsblue » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:05 am

" To the North eh? How far north? There's a few small islands up that way, then yer hit the ice-sheets and the tundra.
I've heard tales of odd things living on the tundra up there - still if yer chartering I ain't adverse to seeing fer meself. "

He frowns and strokes his beard in calculation and concideration.

" We'd be looking at a couple of days out and back - it is quite a way. Is a couple of hundred rava out of your league? "
Andy Cooper or
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:14 am

The fee will be covered by the University, I assure you. However, a few hundred seems a bit much...A hundred, hundred and a half seems fair, I imagine. I noticed your sign, we can take anything we discover into account as covered by the fee, in terms of transporting, I presume?

Vana had every intention of getting as low a price as he could without offending the man. But, the more generous the offer, the more discretion, so getting the price as low as he'd like was out of the question...
Still, discretion was the priority, and the man seemed competent enough...or so he hoped.

spsblue

Postby spsblue » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:19 am

"As yer all passengers on the outbound journey I don't need to factor in cargo space do I? 40 rava a day seems reasonable without cargo allowance. As long as personal cargo will fit in the cabins I'll include it. Fair? "
Andy Cooper or
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:23 am

Vana considers this, and nods, appreciatively (which coming from the cold elf, is but a normal nod with a slight gleam in the eyes, like sunlight reflected on the surface of ice cold water).
The best we could hope for, and certainly fairer than many others we had expected. A pleasure, sir, we accept and thank you for doing business with us.

That much, Vana did mean. Though he still felt like making rude comments at some point about boats, just to feel safe. It didnt do to cheat without complaining after all. (But preferably on his own, so he couldnt be kicked off...)

spsblue

Postby spsblue » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:27 am

"There is one more thing though. I don't suffer trouble-makers on me boat.

If there be any damages or trouble they'll need to be settled by the individual at fault.

Yer ain't none of yer were-critters or dead or two in one 'ead or something weird like that - If yer ar I'd insist on a deposit against any potential trouble. No trouble 'appens yer get yer money back in full. But I've been left in the lurch with odd travellers before and I don't fancy having trouble on this trip. "
Andy Cooper or
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)

rachel

Postby rachel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 am

Kezzia watches the exchange with growing interest. She's never been North before, and the odd assortment of creatures waiting to board the ship arouse her curiosity. She turns away from the sea view and sits up on the rails, swinging her legs casually while she listens to the conversation.
Characters:
Safina Kor: Human warrior from the Kor tribe (because everyone knows men can't fight... ;))

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 am

As far as I know, none of us are any of the creatures you so listed. I dont think any of us will turn into a wolf at any moment, I dont recall any undead, nor am I aware of any possessed (or insane) embarking with us. If they do, they are not with us, therefore, and will need to pay for themselves. Of course, if any of our party do turn out to be such afore mentioned beings, then you shall be compensated, naturally.

spsblue

Postby spsblue » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:39 am

" Then I say yer has yerself a deal. "

" First day's money due before the mooring ropes get released, then at close of day for the following day. Refunded for days be-calmed or spent fishing. "

" We have to wait for the tide to change, then we can be off. Say another hour and a half? "

He turns to the larkant girl listening in to the conversation.

" Kezzia lass could yer give em a tour of the Norwood and get them settled in cabins? "
he adds in a low voice as she passes him, "I'll settle yer new contract when these chaps pay. "
Andy Cooper or
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)

rachel

Postby rachel » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:55 am

"Sure Captain."
Kezzia grins at the prospect of a new contract. She'd secured her place on the ship by working for food and lodging instead of rava, but it seemed like her luck had changed. Pulling her woolen shift further over her arms to cover them, she saunters towards the assembled group.
"Follow me and I'll show you round. It ain't huge but its a nice ship."
Characters:

Return to “Mahtar”