Desperate Hope

For In Character events within the human lands of Sinya Palurin

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

dainul

Desperate Hope

Postby dainul » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:42 am

Within the protections covering Ingolé, the streets were crowded with the desparate, the fearful, the hopeful, the disposessed. A single warrior walking through the crowds does not attract much attention, even his world-weary eyes don't stand out much from the rest of the throng, and with a glove covering his right hand he avoids too much attention. In fact, about the only thing outwardly remarkable about the man is the number of blades he carries. His right hand rests on the head of a rune-marked axe while his left lies across the hilts of no less than three swords.

As Reith moves through the crowded streets, he tries again and again to force the fear from his mind. Exhausted and shaken as he is, he has to know the truth. Finally, he arrives at the gates of the university, near the centre of the protections of Ingolé. Finding them unsurprisingly guarded, he waits patiently until he is able to speak with one of the guards.

"My name is Reith Tyraldson." His voice is tired, low and sombre. "Before he was named Traveller, I asked Yasmin to look into a personal matter as a favour for me. I am hoping he will have an answer by now. I would also speak with Sylas Sage about the forging of Rift blades." He moves his hand to indicate the hilt of one of the swords at his left hip. "And about the elves."
Circusite, Ref(!?) and general lunatic.

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Re: Desparate Hope

Postby Will » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:57 pm

**The guard raises his eyes in some amazement, nods his head and ushers Reith through into the main area of the University**
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:51 am

Reith steps through the gate, slightly curious as to what part of his introduction drew that response. Probably the rift-edge, he decides. Someone would have to either not know of the material or be a complete fool to fail to recognise its significance.

Inside, Reith wasn't quite as obviously out of place as he'd expected. Certainly there were a predominance of robed figures hurrying, walking, talking in groups, discussing matters the experienced warrior couldn't hope to understand. But there were a lot more than that. Refugees filled the space here as elsewhere. Presumably those the powers that be had decided were safe enough to trust within the walls. Still, he wasn't completley unremarkable, and a number of pairs of eyes turned to watch him as he passed, though none challenged him.

Without any other ideas, Reith looked up, towards the dome of power that shielded this seed of the new world. Taking his bearing from that pink, scintillating wall, he turned and walked toward what he judged to be the centre of the area, assuming the Traveller would be there, and the Haran not too far away. Soon he finds himself at a large building, much more heavily guarded than the university walls. Again he presents himself to one of the guards.

"My name is Reith Tyraldson. I am here to see if the Traveller Yasmin has been able to find an answer to a personal matter I asked of him before he was Named, and to talk to Sylas Sage about forging Rift and about the elves."

Dom

Postby Dom » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Reith is led into a chamber in the basement of the university, where a simple unadorned table and chairs are the only furnishings. Yasmin sits at the table scribbling over notes and looking in heavy tomes.
He notices Reith and stops, reaches into a pouch on his belt and offers a small folded note. It is obvious that it has been crumpled many times, but someone has tried to fold it neatly recently. Silently he waits for Reith to take it.
"I genuinely have never enjoyed an event so much" Ben 08/09
"Never enough dead players" Will 2011
"Cutting off people's faces is Sick!" Malven aka Flash 2011
http://www.jitsu.me/Home.html

dainul

Postby dainul » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Reith takes the note, opens it, looks at it, and (assuming it's a written note rather than a picture), turns it back to Yasmin. "Never did learn to read," he says with a forced smile.

Dom

Postby Dom » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Yasmin takes the note back looking slightly embrassed at the assumption. Still not smiling he says "it is quite beautiful, i shall read it to you.

Regret not me;
Beneath the sunny tree
I lie uncaring, slumbering peacefully.

Swift as the light
I flew my faery flight;
Ecstatically I moved, and feared no night.

I did not know
That heydays fade and go,
But deemed that what was would be always so.

I skipped at morn
Between the yellowing corn,
Thinking it good and glorious to be born.

I ran at eves
Among the piled-up sheaves,
Dreaming, "I grieve not, therefore nothing grieves."

Now soon will come
The apple, pear, and plum
And hinds will sing, and autumn insects hum.

Again you will fare
To cider-makings rare,
And junketings; but I shall not be there.

Yet gaily sing
Until the pewter ring
Those songs we sang when we went gipsying.

And lightly dance
Some triple-timed romance
In coupled figures, and forget mischance;

And mourn not me
Beneath the yellowing tree;
For I shall mind not, slumbering peacefully.

The caravan sent to near your village and the surrounding area, didnt return in time. It was still half a day from the city on stars day when the world fell. I do not know if this was penned by someone you knew but they seemed to know their fate before we did. I hope it brings some solace."

He folds the note again and places it on the table.
"I genuinely have never enjoyed an event so much" Ben 08/09
"Never enough dead players" Will 2011
"Cutting off people's faces is Sick!" Malven aka Flash 2011
http://www.jitsu.me/Home.html

dainul

Postby dainul » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:05 am

Even half expecting the news, Reith has trouble accepting what he hears. All his kin in a stroke, gone. He sags back against the wall with an audible clatter as swords and armour knock against the stonework. Head tipped back, he stares at the roof of the basement without speaking. His breathing suddenly laboured, his body trembling slightly, he stands still as the silence drags on, his eyes gazing at memories only he can see.

When he does finally stir and speak, his voice is different. Before, his words carried a sense of exhaustion and sobriety, now there is nothing. No emotion, no inflection. He doesn't look at Yasmin as he speaks, just says the words and turns to leave. "Tell the Haran I'm close to being able to work Rift. I'll need some space, tools and a little time."

And with that, he leaves, walking past the guards, out and out, away from Yasmin and the centre of the pitiful protections which stand between the world and oblivion.

Return to “Sinya Palurin - Ingolé”