Alternative Methods

For In Character events within the human lands of Sinya Palurin

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

rachel

Re: Alternative Methods

Postby rachel » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm

"I'm brilliant at reading. I bet I'm better at reading than lots of people at the university, but they're scared I'll burn up the books so they try to keep me away from them."

Singe peers around Fernando's shoulder to see what he is writing.

"Does it matter HOW we get the things on the list?"
Characters:
Haze: A distrusting feline. With a mask.
Safina Kor: Human warrior from the Kor tribe (because everyone knows men can't fight... ;))
Singe: Child-like efreeti scout.

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:56 am

Surprised, he replies, "Oh, you go to the university often? That's... interesting. May I ask how you are allowed into the university? I thought it was only for academics and well, you are just an efreeti girl. Seems a little unusual but that's amazing."

He then ponders at her question. "No it doesn't really matter, as long as how you acquire them doesn't cause us trouble I'll turn a blind eye, if I have to."

He finishes writing up the note and hands it to Singe, listing several generic alchemical ingredients, with a few more unusual ones as well:

Shards of clear glass
A smooth pebbles
Fur of a beastkin resistant to disease
Pristine feathers
Tar / Charcoal
A drop of pure alcohol
Water of the Purist quality you can find (This will be the main item needed for your potion)
Boltab leaves (If possible)

"If you can only find some of the items on this list it would be a great help. Don't feel disheartened if you don't manage to obtain ALL of these things - they are quite specific. And in the meantime I'll think of a story for your return"
He smiles.
As long as I can't lose, I've already won.

rachel

Postby rachel » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Singe looks annoyed for a moment, and then grins.

"Lots of people live in the university now because the Glooms drove them out of their homes. Sometimes they play cards with me, or we play hide and seek. We're not allowed to disturb the lectures though. Or the research. That's why I like helping you."

She studies the list while holding her breath, before proudly folding it up and putting it in another pouch.

"Do you want the kind of feathers you can write with, or the kind you can fill pillows with? And do you have any more sweets? Or other food that tastes nice?"

She eyes up the food Fernando had prepared earlier to take outside.
Characters:
Safina Kor: Human warrior from the Kor tribe (because everyone knows men can't fight... ;))

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:13 pm

Fern smiles at her comment and responds to her, "Mainly the feathers you fill pillows with but I could use one to write with perhaps." He then splits his food in half and gives half to Singe and takes half for himself. He then looks around and manages to find another sweet in a jar in his cupboard. He offers that to Singe also. "This will be a real help, thankyou."

rachel

Postby rachel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:28 pm

Despite her fatigue, Singe's hands flicker a little in excitement. She methodically packs the food and sweet into her largest pouch, before half walking, half skipping to the doorway, obviously pleased.

"See you later!"
Characters:

rachel

Postby rachel » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:32 pm

It has been a long time since Fern sent Singe on her errand, almost a month in fact. There is a loud knock on the door, and a familiar flaming face presses itself against the window.
Characters:

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Whilst busy experimenting with collected samples, Fern catchs the orange glow out of the corner of his higher and looks out of the window in shocked amazement, as if he had just seen a ghost.
He staggers over to open the door, "Singe I.. I thought you had died? It's great to see you" and without thinking he charges in for a hug! [Possible ignite?]
"Please come in, come in!"

rachel

Postby rachel » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 pm

As Fern throws his arms around her, Singe beams and hugs him tightly back, her firey arms wrapped around his body. There is a split second when the heat is actually pleasant, before it rapidly becomes an intense pain ((OOC Ignite)). Feeling Fern instinctively push her away, Singe quickly lets go and steps back.

"Sorry."

She stares at him in concern for a moment, before taking off a large leather bag that had been slung over her shoulder.

"I brought all the things you asked for, except the boltab leaves because I died before I could get them. It was boring being dead, so I'm glad I'm back."
Characters:

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:01 pm

"Ow! That's alright," He laughs it off. "Wow, you managed to get all of the things? That's fantastic! I've really come along in creating my final products." He takes the leather bag and sets it on the table, taking out the items and placing them in specfic areas next to ingredients all laid out in an obsessive manner. "Boring to be dead huh? Well personally I wouldn't want to find out! Anyway, it's nice to see you again!"

He invites Singe to sit down and brings out a fair amount of food, much more than what he would have in a ration for himself.
"Here, are you hungry? How are things at the university, and Sylas?"
After a while of conversation and Fern noticing Singe getting restless and bored, he asks, "Would you like to help me with some of my potions? I think you could be quite useful in heating up ingredients."

rachel

Postby rachel » Tue May 01, 2012 6:24 pm

Singe watches as Fern neatly arranges the items on the table, commenting as he takes each one from the bag.

"The jar the water is in is made of glass, so when you pour the water into something else then you can smash the jar and it will be shards of clear glass. And people can drink the water; I've seen Sylas drink it, so it must be pure. The pebbles were really really hard to get. I had to swap all the food AND one of my prettiest bracelets for them. The small bottle has alcohol in it that gets people drunk very quickly, so that's probably pure isn't it. I bet the man in the tavern that I could sing the Rattlin song better than him, and I could, so I won it. Its only 3/4s full because he'd already drunken some, but you only needed a drop."

When Fern pulls out a bloodstained bundle, she smiles, obviously pleased with herself. "That's the beastkin fur. Well, its actually the fur of a dead rat, but it had been cured of disease just before I killed it, so its probably resistant to disease. One of my big brother's friends helped me do it. And the feathers are in the pillow so they don't get damaged. I stole it from Sylas, but you mustn't tell him because he'll get angry, and I think he's already annoyed at me for dying."

She briefly looks at her feet, then her face brightens. "I got loads of charcoal though. There was more, but I got hungry."

She is very excited by the food Fern lays out, and sits cross-legged to pick at it, chatting animatedly about the things she has been doing. After a while she gets up to explore again, still nibbling on a hunk of cheese. "Where do you get all your food from, Fern? I won't tell Sylas." She grins at the prospect of burning things. "I'll help! I'm good at helping."
Characters:

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Fri May 04, 2012 4:37 pm

"I'm impressed and pleased that you obtained all of this for me, it will speed things along quite nicely, meaning I should have almost finished with my procedures and experiments by early Julius."

He thinks for a moment about Singe's comment on the food, replying " Well some of it, ofcourse, is from the rations." He pauses for a moment. "I don't mind Sylas knowing of how I get the rest, infact it helps him in a way. I go to abandoned houses and parts of the cities, where people have been killed by those creatures from outside, 'Glooms' I believe they are called, and I take anything that seems of use. The people who use to live there don't need it, right? And it is not going to get picked up by the guard any time soon."

"As for you being fiery for me, if you will, please could you burn the pile of scrap wood outside, round the back, completely to ash and after that I have a large contained of water in the corner there which needs to be heated to boiling."
He directs Singe to the pile of wood commisioned for burning. Then he goes back inside and pours the majority of the pure water in the large container.
He then takes one of the small rocks and, in a mortar and pestle fashion, crushes up a dozen or so of the feathers out of the pillow. He places these on the table, and next to them he also places a pile of finely ground mixutre of dirt,dust and sand which was stoored in a piece of clothwrapped in a ball.
Whilst waiting for Singe to be done with the heating, he alines many glass containers on the counter, in a careful and precise manner.

rachel

Postby rachel » Thu May 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Singe watches him carefully for a moment.

"You mean you go out the dome to find the food? Don't the glooms hurt you?"

She jumps up and down in delight at having such an important task to complete. Skipping to the pile of wood, she arranges it around herself so that she is sitting in the middle, touching some of the drier pieces so that they start to glow with tiny, pale flames. As the fire slowly spreads, Fern can hear her singing, her body becoming brighter and hotter the louder she chants. Thick, grey smoke drifts past the window, until at last there comes a shout from outside.

"Finished!"

Singe races back inside, peering with curiousity at the objects on the table.
Characters:

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Thu May 10, 2012 4:14 pm

Fern replies, "No, no, I go to the houses just inside the dome, however the presence of the Glooms still seems to go through the dome, just the beings themselves can not pass. I have not been to the houses outside of the dome, yet."
He smiles pleasantly as he hears Singe singing, and as she rushes in and starts to look at some of his work, he reminds her about the heating of the water that needs to be done.
He goes outside with another jug of water, spreads some of the flaming wood into another pile and extinguishes the flame. He takes the ash and leftovers and puts them beside the other ingredients on the table, again, in a delicate and precise order.

rachel

Postby rachel » Fri May 11, 2012 10:48 pm

"Those houses are haunted I bet," declares Singe confidently. "I heard the woman with only one eye at the tavern say so. I'm going to go ghost hunting there later."

She is obviously nervous about heating the large bucket of water, staring at the liquid anxiously for a moment. Then she moves her flaming hands over the container's sides to evaporate any water running down them, keeping an inch of space between her hands and the bucket. Only once she is certain there is no liquid on its outside does she touch it. Frowning in concentration, she wraps her legs around it and places her hands flat on either side. Very slowly the water starts to simmer. Becoming bolder, Singe starts to chant again, though this song seems far angrier or more morbid than the songs Fern heard earlier. Her body becomes hotter, and the water begins to boil.
Characters:

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Sat May 12, 2012 1:16 pm

"Now that you mention, it did feel a bit creepy out there."

As he watches Singe do her work, he smiles and says comfortingly, "Excellent work! That's exactly what I need to capture the essence of! Show that water who's boss!"

Now complete, he readies another large container with a tap on the bottom, similar to a glass keg. He places in it the earthy mixture, the ash, the crushed feathers and pours in the boiling water. He then stirs it with a wooden utensil and watches as the solution begins to mix. Finally, he adds 2 drops of the strong alcohol.
"Excellent! I think that will do the trick. I'll just let it cool and ... hmm I might need to add just one more ingred-" He stops as he sees Singe fascinated by the swirling mixture and in appreciation says, "Thank you so much! You have been very helpful and this will benefit me greatly. Now, I said I was going to make a potion for you didn't I - let me think... "

As Fern marches around the room in deep thought, quitely mumbling to himself as he is doing so, he thinks he notices that Singe appears slightly excited about the prospect of her very own potion! He inquires to her, mid thought, "Do you think that- Oh! And then I could - Sorry, could you 'capture' a part of your -That's it! The rat fur can.. - yes, part of your essence, like an everlasting flame? - Aha! Then the alcohol again to..." As he continues to mumble on the question seemed mumbled but she could pick it up:

Can you capture part of your essence, such as a flame that would stay alight even though it is not with you?

Return to “Sinya Palurin - Ingolé”