New arrival

For In Character events within the jungles of Arnad Gaurhoth

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Peter Levy

New arrival

Postby Peter Levy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 pm

**An unnatural breeze blows. The air seems to rise from the earth. A small cloud of black mist swirls around the base of a small willow tree. Beside it, a similar cloud of blue mist forms. The two swirling smogs meld together, and rise up to form a pillar of unnatural power. The silhouette of a man can be seen through the haze as it begins to dissipate. The man, covered in tattered green fabric and fur, tentatively steps forward and observes the land he had once called home.**

Our Grove has changed.
**His voice seems tinged with a sorrow for something lost, and yet hopeful. His face immediately drops, as he speaks again:**

Of course our Grove has changed. We changed. There are strangers here.

**He stares over in the direction of the Underdwellers' caves, and his voice picks up a little**

I've always said we are not alone.
I would sooner be alone now. There are souls here who wish us harm. Why did we come?
The cup. We are here to find the cup.

**The man sighs, and heads towards the edge of the dome**

rachel

Re: New arrival

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Haze moves quietly through the shadows of the trees, keeping out of sight while watching the newcomer with her usual suspicion. She tastes the air ((Improved Sniff)) and then follows the trespasser at a distance, the fur raised along her back.
Characters:
Haze: A distrusting feline. With a mask.
Safina Kor: Human warrior from the Kor tribe (because everyone knows men can't fight... ;))
Singe: Child-like efreeti scout.

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:11 pm

(((There are two, distinct, Human scents)))

**The man ambles casually towards the mass of glooms at the border of the protection. He pauses for a second**

Did you hear something?
No we didn't. Concentrate.

**He reaches the edge of the dome, and makes eye contact with one of the creatures. They remain locked, staring each other down. The man begins to sway slightly.**

rachel

Postby rachel » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:04 pm

(Which tribe/s are the humans from?)

Haze stays frozen in the shadows, every muscle tensing. She wants to confront this intruder, demand to know what he is doing in her forests, but her hunting instinct tells her to wait. There are two scents and only one body, so either two humans share that body or one is invisible. Either way, she needs more information ((Sense Power)).
Characters:
Safina Kor: Human warrior from the Kor tribe (because everyone knows men can't fight... ;))

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:40 pm

((Neither scent is particularly similar to any of the main tribes))

**The man's legs begin to buckle as dark power claws at him from beyond this world.**

((sense power: a large amount of Ritual and Death magic is flowing into the man from the glooms))

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:36 pm

**Battling the flow of dark energy with all his strength, the man begins to sing. As the song progresses, his broken voice becomes fuller. By the final verse it becomes as though a small choir was joining him. The dark power that had surrounded him begins to wane, slowly replaced with a feeling of hope.**

Steel that sleeps with the morningstar
Would that I could sin once more

Blades will sing over stone and field
That their song might grace our fall

Pallid limbs in the raven's thrall
Fracture sulphur honey skin

Waves are screaming abraxan hymns
So that shoreline virgins cry

Reel in place
'til the bastards take me away
Sober taste of the eyes

((There is a concentration of Life magic emanating from something he is holding in front of him))

rachel

Postby rachel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:56 pm

Unimpressed by the singing, which to her sounds too disjointed and strange to be something an intelligent being would choose to do, Haze decides that this human is probably mad. But he doesn't seem to be a threat to the forest, which is more important. Nor a threat to her.
Quickly running her claws through her fur and hair to check they are presentable, the feline cautiously moves out of the shadows for a closer look at whatever this human is holding. She scans the area carefully for any sign of the 2nd human she can smell ((Acute vision)) but is becoming more certain that it is somehow connected to the one she can see.
Characters:

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 pm

**The man lowers his head, inspecting what appears to be a small, tarnished, rather grubby cup. He carefully begins to rub away some of the mud and rust from the lip of the cup, using one of his sleeves.**

It's filthy. Why did you leave it behind? You should have brought it.
We've been through this: I did not leave it, it chose to remain. At least we have it now, filthy or not filthy.
Just clean it and let's get on.

**oblivious to Haze's presence, the man -still focusing on the cup- meanders in vaguely her direction, the whole time scraping away at layer upon layer of muck and moss and mud.**

((There is no sign of any other human who smells like this one. Both scents are -if not emanating from him- are at least following him))

rachel

Postby rachel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Haze cannot decide whether the human is ignoring her on purpose to be rude, or if he is so caught up in his maddness that he is not aware of what is going on around him. She stands in his path, stares at him boldly for a moment, and then speaks.

"What is that and who are you?"
Characters:

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:41 pm

**Not looking up from the still-very-grubby vessel, the man halts, and speaks.**

We are Trout and Thorn and we are sage. This. this is none of your damned business.

**He looks up, angrily. After a second, his face relaxes back to a slightly unhinged smile.**

This cup, woodland friend, is special to us. To all of us. Very special indeed.So hands off!For now, at least.

rachel

Postby rachel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:32 pm

Haze grins. This human reminds her of Galatine and Sanctus- two completely different creatures in one body. Sanctus would happily rip her apart if she got in his way, while Galatine... Well even if her ally isn't exactly mad, he certainly likes to talk in riddles. It is probably best to presume these humans were tame rather than wild as she didn't recognise their scent, though that made talking to them rather more complicated. There is some strange gesture she is meant to make with her hand when greeting tame humans, but she remembers it involves touching, and every instinct warns her that's a dangerous idea. Instead she takes a step closer so the humans can smell her better.

"I don't want to take what you have, I want to know what it is. My name is Haze and I help protect these forests. It is good to meet you, but I don't recognise your scent. Are your kin named the Sage? Do you have an alpha?"
Characters:

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:10 pm

Are our kin called sage? No, strange person, they are people, not herbs.

It's been a couple of years since Thorn spoke to a living person, sorry about his manners. As far as an Alpha would go, I would have said Raim, or Luthir.

**The man looks somewhat conflicted, his eye twitching slightly.**

I would say me. I am our alpha. Who is yours, Haze, Protector of the Forests?

rachel

Postby rachel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:04 am

Pleased with her title, Haze relaxes slightly. These are wild humans. Good.

"I have no Alpha," she replies. "But I am loyal to the Spirit of the Forest, who has granted me many favours. What is special about the item you hold? Where have you come from to collect it?"

She hesitates, full of questions, but knowing better than to ask too many at one time.
Characters:

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:47 pm

This is life. We have come from where there is none.
It must be sent below.
But we're not sure how, just yet.

**The man's face suddenly lights up, as though struck with some epiphany**

We once were lechers, rakes and rogues...
Sister of mine. Perfect!
Mother. Idiot.

**He stops polishing the cup. It is a small goblet, with a twisted stem and a lot of rust, but there is a faint white light reaching out from inside it.**

Wheeling Suns?
Perhaps.
That is what they were calling themselves.
And the others?

**The man remembers that he is supposed to be talking to the feline, and focuses back on Haze's questions.**

We will probably need some help. Could you...?
Or find some others to help us?

rachel

Postby rachel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:08 pm

These humans are definately mad. Haze stares at the cup for a few seconds, making a mental note of its appearance for future reference, and then turns her attention to what they are saying. A place without life could mean the Hopewastes, though these creatures didn't smell undead. It could also mean underground, unless you counted those many-eyed beings that foolishly choose to live there. The rest of the conversation is a strange mix of names and riddles, but her ears prick up at the request for help.

"What do you need help to do? What do you want from me?"

She seems suddenly more alert, though her voice is calm, and a half smile flits across her face.
Characters:

Return to “Arnad Gaurhoth”