The Incoming Storm

For In Character events on the small island where the plantmen known as Brocklings originate

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

The Incoming Storm

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:58 am

Shortly after midnight on the 25th of Septerimus, a large man in brown stepped out of the house designated as The Trading Post. His armour, face, hair and hands look as if they have been recently, and quickly, cleaned but his shirt, tousers and jerkin are caked in drying blood.

He turned round to look at the building he'd once considered home. "These houses are linked." he muttered to himself with a slight smile.

The place seemed deserted and there was a chill in the air...the taint of death...or at least despair. "Show us how to worship." he said under his breath with bearly disguised contempt. He looked around to get his bearings before heading towards the middle of the island, towards the building they had dedicated as a shrine to all gods.

Moving swiftly up the wooden steps cut into the hill, he quickly came to the circle where they had tried and failed to bring him back once before. It had been the last time he'd seen him. He could almost taste the grief of Kalist and Lophaetus, was it just a memory or was the power of Despair stonger here because of what had transpired?

He quickly moved on, across the bridge, up the steep paths towards the clearing where over two years ago and nearly eight years from now, a friend had fallen. Memories raced through his mind, of seeing the man on the floor close to death with the creature knelt beside him, of not wanting to provoke her but not being able to get there quickly enough to stop what had happened.

His eyes scanned the area looking for a telltale hint of blue...
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Re: The Incoming Storm

Postby Edd » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

A drop of water lands on Qualye's head. Then another, then ten more, and before long he is standing in a torrential downpour. Almost as if on que, a deep rumbling of thunder can be heard. The wind picks up, pulling at his hair, armour and clothes, whipping around him and lashing the rain on his face. There is a blinding flash of light from the wooded area near the temple to all gods. Quayle recognises it as the place where Aquilla last called on Danahil. And where Quayle told him he had no right to do so...

The storm around him becomes greater, the speed of the wind increasing, lightning striking all around and the thunder a constant rumble. Above Quayle, dark clouds cover the whole Island, bar just over that spot...the calm of the storm?
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Soaked to the skin, leaving a scarlet trail as the rain vainly attempts to wash the blood from his clothing, Quayle crosses the clearing. Past the doorway to the shrine, a doorway that looks like it has seen little use in the past few weeks, past the spot Aquilla fell towards the circle of trees where the broken mirror had sat.

He shivered, memories of a decade trapped within a creature assaulting his mind then, with a deep breath, he stepped into the eye of the storm.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Postby Edd » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 pm

The centre of the storm is warm - despite the chaos raging around outside. Calmness and serenity sweep over Quayle. Infront of him, still in the blue robes he died in, sits Aquilla. He is cross legged, hovering slightly from the ground; his singular blade across his knees, his hands infront of him, palms raised upwards and eyes closed.

As Quayle steps into the eye of the storm, he opens his eyes and smiles warmly, a burst of warm sunlight filling the area inside the storm. The sunlight disappears almost instantly as his face drops and he floats to the floor, only to stand straight up.

"Oh no. Not you. Please, in His name, tell me you didn't give your soul. Of all people, please, dear Danahil..."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:29 am

Quayle smiles, reaches out and embraces the elf for a few seconds before releasing him.

"My soul is fine, I wasn't here when the people of this island did what they did...though I don't know what I would have done had I been here."

He looks concerned for a second.

"Are you alright? This must be quite disorientating, do you know what happened to you? What's been happening since you...left?"

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Aquilla seems relived by the smile, the hug and his friend's words. The smile returns to his face and the sunlight to the area they sit in.

"I am not sure what happened, why I came back to life, how long I have been dead, or what has happened in my absence. However, I am aware of what has happened on this island. Trapped Souls. If all the dark gods came together, I don't think they could find one thing I detest more..."

He sighs, though there seems no emotion in his voice, he is simply speaking very matter of factly.

"I have used some of the previous Shinning One's meditations to place my feelings outside me, rather than inside." He gestures to the storm around them "This is the result. I reasoned that the residence here would put up with some rain and wind rather than have me act....what's the best way to put it....rashly?"

He smiles, somewhat sheepishly.

"I also hear a congratulations are in order, my lord." He bows low to his High Priest.

He then gestures to the floor, before sitting down himself.

"But please, tell me Quayle, what has happened while I've been gone. I would rather hear truth form you than guess on hearsay and my own perceptions."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:57 am

Quayle nods

"Thank you, I hope you can control that storm of yours."

**As he speaks, Quayle head is knocked back as if by an invisible force. He grunts in pain and as he turns back to Aquilla, blood is pouring from a wound that looks as if he has been slashed across the face. He takes a seconds to compose himself before continuing as if nothing has happened.**

"After you fell, we tried to bring you back but Kan Slaar wouldn't allow it so we continued with our task but on the final night Avienda and Cassadora raised Despair to godhood, I'm sorry but your brother fell that night. The next day we named Inigo, the merchant, as the ruler of this land...that was just over two years ago."

"About two months ago, a group of us were hired by a man named Roylstrom within the temple of Lenamo to assist in bringing back Lenanuki who had been slain when the gods briefly took on mortality. We succeeded...though it was hardly a challenge...and then everything went wrong. Our actions had somehow unbalanced the world and Eremine decided to end it all so released The End and, in turn, the Glooms to destroy everything."

"Between us we discovered that Roylstrom was actually Velnashar in disguise and he had orchestrated this whole situation and we were sent to The Never Holt in Fort Drake, a base for the sentinels I set up when I was one of their number to find Feerian, the anointed one in order to get the sentinels help to stop this. We didn't find him, but we did find a group of ritualists working under his orders who had linked this house with 10 others, one on each land enabling us to travel across the world. His plan? If we named a sentinel on each land and they remained there they would be the centre of a dome of protection from the glooms."

"We started here and we found that Inigo, Rosa and Brock had enacted a plan to save people from the glooms: they sacrificed the souls of everyone on the island to Despair. Apparently all but four people were willing to do so to save their lives...those four were forced. We had to name a sentinel but we couldn't give it to someone without a soul...and the sentinels have to live by rules...they have to protect...I don't know how to say this but...we named the champion of Despair. I'm sorry."

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Postby Edd » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Aquilla closes his eyes. The storm outside seems to rumble and lightning from outside strikes the elf, repeatedly. He takes a final deep breath, and the storm returns outside.

"What happened to you?" he says, indicating the wound on his face.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:13 pm

"This island is a holy place to Despair, where he came into being, where the Paladin of his enemy fell, where his...where your...friends felt despair and where he has had his greatest triumph, taking hundreds of souls for his own. Uttering the name of..."

He stops for a second, knowing what will happen.

"No, I refuse to bow to his will. Uttering the name of Hope..."

This time Quayle is prepared and barely flinches as the invisible blow strikes him, blood pours from another slash across his face.

"...hurts."

Quayle

Tome of Magic 6.0

The Chosen

Postby The Chosen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:48 pm

(((OOC - Do either Quayle or Aquilla have any currently active Enhanced Sense: Sight/Smell abilities?)))

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:26 pm

(OOC, nope. Only Sense Power I guess)

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Postby Edd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:58 pm

((Sorry for late reply/thread necromancy - RL is a bitch! Aquilla has enhance sense hearing active.))

Aquilla nods as he sees the pain Quayle endures.

"Uttering my lady's name should never be a cause for pain. That is something that shall change. We will bring HOPE back to this place."

As he says his goddess' name, he snaps his head to the side, as if avoiding an invisible blow.

"You cannot hurt me, for HOPE is with me."

The Chosen

Postby The Chosen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:23 pm

((Acute Hearing: someone is moving away through the grass, trying to sneak but isnt very good at it))

Edd

Postby Edd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:31 pm

Aquilla turns in the direction of the noise.

"You who enter this place, if you seek HOPE, then you are welcome. Woe betide you if you try to bring dispair to this place."

The Chosen

Postby The Chosen » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:09 am

The footsteps fade away.

Return to “The Colourful Isle”