Exodus / The End

Dead Characters Only!

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Stevie

Exodus / The End

Postby Stevie » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:32 pm

ENTRY 457 - EXODUS

Some refused to leave, they were too attached to what had become their source of hope, The Bastion. Of those that stayed, some had already abandoned all hope, they had heard the warning signs but being dead once already they did not value their lives enough to flee. Of the rest, they gathered what possessions that had, tokens of their past life, clinging to what separated the dead, from the undead. It helped them remain human I guess, kept them hoping. I managed to direct many of them to an area I knew not be be so overcrowded, and with little infighting, but compared to the Bastion, it will seem like a new hell to them.

We heard the news a couple of days ago, they'd been tearing through everything. At first I wouldn't believe the reports, they lacked any details, just an unknown force wiping everything into nothing. Then the last report came through, it mentioned their long grey robes, and it said that they spoke, I ignored most of the sentence, I saw one word and that was enough. Yeetas.

ENTRY 458 - THE END

It's been at least a day since I left the group of refugees from the Bastion, although on what authority I have to call it a day I don't know.

I can remember when I started this journal, Day One it said, Day One! The only issue with that, is you don't really know where one day ends and the other begins here, sure you can ask new arrivals what day it was, but it doesn't really matter. Days are a word for the living, time is something only they are concerned with. Yet, I'm still rushing, and I still feel late. I don't know, I don't think this is relevant.. but here I am, still scribbling away.

I'm not sure how close I am, or whether it's even begun yet, but the night approaches, the night where one who has died may seek to return. I intend to return. I don't think I did before now, I was happy, I had lived a long life, I had done many things I considered to be great, I helped those that needed it, but I always felt it was a good time to end, there will always be heroes, always people to protect the innocent from harm and I think I accepted that, for a while at least. Things started crashing down, I can't count how many people came into the hopewastes that day, but I think I felt it. I'm sure I did, destruction on such a scale, the loss of massive amounts of life, the beginning of the end.

Some might say I'm spoiling for it, looking for a reason to return, looking to fight, looking to be a "hero". Maybe I am, maybe I am just selfish, but I don't see it that way.

You'd call it fate, I'd call it by another name, it's just too many signs for me to ignore. The return of my brother Aquilla, the mass extinction of not just my people, but almost all people by Velnashar, and the only small hope, the 10 pockets of life remaining, the sentinels of today. Call it fate if you will, I don't care, I know what it is, it's the Path, it's my Path, it's the Path I've always walked and the Path I'll forever walk, as long as I'm needed, as long as I can do something... anything.

I'm coming.

Lophaetus

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Exodus / The End

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:02 pm

In the land of the living, in the living room of the house, Quayle stared into the mirror and began his preparations.

"I call upon the power of metamagic to unshroud the darkness around me, Danahil free my mind to allow me to know that which I have not seen. I call upon the purest magic to grant me Insight, mirror show me where in the Hope Wastes is Quilla?"

For Quayle the mirror shimmers, his own face disappearing and he sees a darkened land that he recognises immediately as The Hope Wastes' version of The Colourful Isle and there, lying alone in the ruins of a building known in the world as the Temple to All Gods is a small bundle.

As the vision ends, Quayle shivers at the sight of his child, all alone in darkness but he continues, a slight shake in his voice. "I call upon the power of metamagic once more to unshroud the darkness that surrounds me, Danahil free my mind and allow me to know that which I have not seen. I call upon the purest magic of the jewel to grant me Insight, mirror show me who is planning to escape the Hope Wastes on the Night of the Nearly Living Dead this year?"

Once more the mirror shimmers and he sees a group of seven people, a few who are recognisable to him including, and he smiles slightly at the sight of the man who named him the Guide in times long gone, Lophaetus.

"I call upon the power of metamagic one more time, unshroud the darkness of ignorance, Danahil grant me freedom of the mind to allow me to know that which I have not seen. I call upon the power of the jewel to grant me Insight, mirror show me where in the Hope Wastes is Lophaetus?"

The mirror changes again and he sees the blue skinned elf and nods grimly as he notes the location.

Stepping from the house, Quayle concentrates on The Colourful Isle but something blocks his path...something was happening to the house on The Colourful Isle. He didn't have time for this.
"Metamagic heed my call. Transport me from this place to the Temple to All Gods on The Colourful Isle. Take me forth directly, a straight path through the earth, Teleport" and with this he disappeared.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Several hundred miles away, Quayle appeared within the the building. It was as he had left it a month or so again, doors magically sealed and the shrines covered in dust. He sighed at the sight...this place should not be locked away, it should be free to worship but those living on the island cared little for any deity other than their own. He looked around the shrines before seeing his own place, dedicated to the lord of freedom and sat before it and offered a quiet prayer to his lord before continuing his grim task.

"I call upon the power of the jewel, Eremine hear me. I ask your blessing to allow a spell I cast to exist in potentia rather than take effect now, Contingency. May the spell I now cast take place 4 minutes 30 seconds after my death. I call upon the power of the book of Vitaea and that of the fountain of life to flow into the vessel of this contingency. May the power of life magic flow once more into this one, cure his wounds and bind his soul, recall his spirit from the Hope Wastes and let him live once more, Resuscitate."

Satisfied with his work, Quayle unbuttons the lower part of his shirt before taking his short-sword from his belt and holding in point first towards his stomach with both hands on the grip. He takes a deep breath and closes his eyes before hesitating. He stays in this position for a few seconds before, with a smile, he opens his eyes and places the sword down on the floor before him.

"On second thoughts...I call, upon the power of the fountain of life once more. Grant me your blessing, Ease Pain."

He picks the sword up again and without anywhere near the ceremony, plunges it point first into his stomach. He collapses and the sword falls from his hand and as blood spreads from his body, Quayle bleeds to death.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Waking in the Hope Wastes, Quayle picks the bundle from the floor and looks down at his son. Nearly two and a half years old but still a baby in arms, apparently this was normal for Brock's people who like many trees grew slowly to begin with from seed to sprout but then rapidly to sapling and beyond.

"I'm sorry Quilla, I shouldn't have left you. I thought the island was safe...we'd seen it...I'd seen you...ten years from now. I only have a few minutes. Metamagic heed my call. Transport us from this place to where I have seen Lophaetus to be. Take us forth through the Hope Wastes, grant us freedom so that our progress may not be haltedMass Teleport" and with this, father and son disappeared.

With a shimmer of metamagic and an outrushing of what counts for air in the Wastes, Quayle appears a small distance from the Air Elf.

"Lophaetus...I don't have much time. I need to ask you a favour so large that I will be in your debt forever."

**Quayle**
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:08 pm

**From pure instinct more than anything else, a sword was drawn. Feet locked into old familiar positions, digging in for purchase. The movements of the body faster than the movements of the mind, they were lagging behind. Catching up, old eyes recognised an old familiar face, a face not seen for a long time.**

"Qualye..."

**Questions formed in the mind, "How did you die?" "How did you know I was here?" "Do you have any news?" Normally, these would have come first, but the look on Qualyes face, and the mention of what little time he had took precendent.**

"There is no debt between friends. Ask Quayle, I will help in whatever way I can."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 pm

"I had to make a choice...what was good for the world or what was good for myself. I chose the world and brought Erathil's sister back from the Hope Wastes. I was blessed with the choice again and I chose your brother...he's alive once more." He sighs and looks down at the bundle in his arms, his voice cracks. "This is my son, he died on The Colourful Isle when the Glooms came...I wasn't there and those I thought would look after him did not. Take him from this place. Please." he finally looks up at Loph, and blinks the moisture from his eyes, a look of desperation on his face. "I have about two minutes left."

**Quayle**

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:02 pm

**Loph eyes the bundle, watching it twitch and squirm, still so young, so innocent.**

"Quayle, you know where I'm going, you know the danger that will be ahead. I will do everything and anything in my power to watch over and protect this one for you, but can't you come along? We can do so much good in the world if we were both alive."

**Loph eyes Qualye more closely, judging the expressions on his face.**

"You're not really here.. not properly, are you?"

**Loph pauses, thinking for a time**

"Pass me the child, I will care for him as if he was my own. No harm shall come to him as long as I still have breath. What is his name Quayle?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 pm

"I am here...but my visit is fleeting...I'm sorry. If I were braver I would have died properly and fought my way out with him...I wish I were. There are ways out of the Hope Wastes, back to Velmaneth or onward to somewhere better. He cannot make the choice to move on but if you cannot get him out then find him a way to move on. He is an innocent and it breaks my heart to think of him existing here forever."

He hesitates for a moment before bending his neck and kissing the boy on his forehead.

"I love you." he looks back at Lophaetus. "His name's Quilla. Thank you Loph, I know you'll do your best. Good luck."

He reaches out and hands the baby to Lophaetus and as the Air Elf takes the bundle, Quayle fades and disappears.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 pm

**As Quayle reaches out to Lophaetus, so a claw reaches out to Quayle. A broken, bleeding claw rests on his shoulder. But it is too late, Quayle is gone. Standing there before the elf and the child is a creature, not quite wolf, not quite man. Tattered fur, sodden with dark blood; scarred, faded grey skin, and two bright red eyes.**

**The creature's eyes meet those of Lophaetus, and it pauses.**

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 am

**Loph moves the child into his left arm, cradling it tight and facing the left side of his body away from the creature. Small pieces of gravel stir underneath his feet as he digs them in, a brief click of his knuckles as his right hand wraps itself around the sword hilt. He pauses, takes a look into the creatures eyes, before breaking contact briefly, making a quick study of his wounds, noting each with care and commiting them to memory. His eyes, gone for but a second, meet with the creatures again, staring back with intensity.**

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:56 pm

**The stand-off lasts but a second, yet seems to stretch on for an age. The creature briefly glances at Quilla, and something resembling a smile stretches across its deformed jaw. It begins to sparkle slightly, and fades away.**

**For a fraction of a moment, Lophaetus catches a glimpse of a figure. A figure printed on a card. It is the figure of death, inverted.**

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:49 am

**Lophaetus did not move for some time, an invisble standoff. It took him a while to move from the spot, and even longer to stop clasping the hilt with such ferocity. He cradled the bundle, whispering small words and smiling briefly.**

Return to “The Hope Wastes”