Fall from grace

A place to post stories from the 30th day of Julius 161: the day the Glooms enveloped Velmaneth decimating the population

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Sproglet

Fall from grace

Postby Sproglet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:55 pm

Mahtar, the home of the Larkants. A brutal place, with its rough stone architecture and thatched roofing. The people of Mahtar are a hardy bunch, even the lowliest labourer has the heart of a Larkant, that fire burning deep within him. Every able bodied man of Mahtar served in the militia and everyone one of those part-time soldiers was a warrior born. Mahtar was possibly the most formidable city to contemplate assaulting in the world, its high thick stone walls filled and defended by the entire male population of the city and surrounding farm lands. Thousands of spears ready within a few hours notice....

They never got a few hours.... The wave reached the city in minutes, great lords were slaughtered trying to organise their retainers, common labourers were overwhelmed wielding axes and crowbars before the militia could form, gentile ladies bolted their great manors in the hope of safety, but even the smallest crack allowed death to stalk within....

The garrison tried to fight as the wave reached the keep, they formed ranks, shield tight and locked, spears forward and ready... It did no good. They were washed over by an enemy they couldn't hurt. Watching the devastation their lord charged a scream of utter rage passing his lips, a glittering sword in his hand reaping through the wave wherever it made contact...

But the wave kept coming, this one blade couldn't stop it... The garrison commander seeing his lord begin to be surrounded roared orders and 20 of the elite guard rushed forward, grabbing their lord and dragging him back, as he kicked and screamed, spittle flying from his mouth as he hurled curses at the wave....

They dragged him to the great tower, sealing it and pulling him up flight after flight of stairs. The lord eventually calmed and went to a window...

Uthred stared at the devastation, the utter lifeless husk that had once been his home and the home of his people, he stared, and he wept....
"You have my mace" "And my hammer" "And my magic"...
"And my pillaging shovel, and my bear arms, and my fork of truth"......
"But not my kidney hat, it's made of real kidneys"

Return to “The Day of the Apocalypse”