15 Rules for Better LARP-ing

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Dom

15 Rules for Better LARP-ing

Postby Dom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:11 pm

The 15 Rules of Better LRP-ing - I believe that these originated on the rule 7 boards but I cant be sure.

1.Don't play a mighty warrior; play a warrior and be mighty.
Don’t label your character. As soon as you say that you’re the best swordsman in the land someone will come along and kick your ass. Just get into the mindset of the person and roleplay it out.

2. No one cares about your character background.
Really. Don’t tell me about your character and how great he is. It gets boring after the first 50 people or so have told you the same thing. The character is important to you, let that be enough.

3. You are not the Highlander.
There’s an urban myth that after the first LoTR movie came out no less than 9 characters called Legolas turned up to the Gathering. You are not the only one. RW Note: That might be an urban legend, but the number of Jack Sparrow clones at the Gathering was a bit extreme and not an urban legend.

4. No one likes an elf.
Are you playing an elf because are you are genuinely interested in portraying an alien mindset, or so you can be a human with pointy ears? Are you going to be yet another namby-pamby, wishy-washy, lowest-common-denominator, bleeding heart liberal over-used hackneyed fantasy concept? Your race doesn’t make your character different from the real-life you, the way you act does.

5. You are not your uniques. You are not your skill list. You are not your items. You are not special. You are the all singing, all dancing boss of the system.
Your skills / special abilities / mingy items of ULTIMATE DOOM! do not define your character. Who he is, what he does and what he wants are the things you should concentrate on. Most importantly do not try and be unique; fitting with the world concept is better than breaking it.

6. Your character doesn't go clubbing.
There is nothing sadder than seeing people in clubs wearing their LRP kit. People walking around in-character like they’ve just stepped out of Slimelight is equally as bad. Kit or goth, don’t confuse the two.

RL Note: And yet, LARPers quite often end up having in-costume weddings... Rule 6 could only potentially apply to Cosplay meetings, and we don't need to go there...

7. Don't Take The Piss!
You heard the man.

8. I do not want to find your character in a book.
LRP is littered with plagiarism. It’s not big and it’s not clever. Be inspired by books, fine, but at least change the sodding names. Its not hard to mash two ideas together making them unrecognisable.

9. Drum-rolling is for marching bands.
Weapons, my friend, are pretty damn heavy. Act like it. I wanna see huge, heroic, Conan-like sword swings!

10. Being hit hurts, bitch.
When someone hits you it hurts. A lot. Even if it doesn’t kill your character you should be crying like a big girl.

11. I don't care what would really happen.
The "what would happen in real life" argument is the first resort of the loser. Repeat after me: "it’s fantasy, it’s just a game, this is not real life."

12. Yeah, but you didn't. Get over it.
I don't want to know that you would have kicked off if your group leader hadn't stopped you, that you would have beaten me if I'd fought fair, or that you would have survived that battle if you weren't hung over. You didn't.

13. What's an "Out-of-character"? Are you ill?
If you’re in an in-character area, and it’s during time in, then be in character. If you want to be out of character for whatever reason then go somewhere else. You are only spoiling the enjoyment of those around you.

14. They only killed your character. Get over it.
Yes you spent money on kit, yes you invested time and effort not only playing the character but also thinking about it and planning it. Share/sell your kit, learn from your experiences and start an new better character.

15. Your character is not you in fancy dress.
And in the same vein I am not my character and he/she isn't me.
If you need this rule explaining then you also need your head checked. Leave the event and go see a doctor.

Hope these are helpful, informative and also fun.
love you guys
Dom
"I genuinely have never enjoyed an event so much" Ben 08/09
"Never enough dead players" Will 2011
"Cutting off people's faces is Sick!" Malven aka Flash 2011
http://www.jitsu.me/Home.html

spsblue

Re: 15 Rules for Better LARP-ing

Postby spsblue » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 pm

:-D

Pity about 2 though. As we have a small system at HoP I'd like to take character backgrounds into account and have them affect the plot.
Andy Cooper or
Kestrel Updraft (Avian scholar)
Korthain DEAD (1)
Derwent Thurza DEAD (2)
Corporal Cynrick DEAD (3)
Fionan Druce (Life Elf Druid)
WOA: Jasper Methlar (Telefret High Mage)

Sonny

Postby Sonny » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:21 pm

:D a good giggle to read, thanks for the literature. Helped brighten up a cold windy nightshift
I'm not a big fat monster...... I'm THE Big Fat Monster
Sonny "McCuddles" Bigwood ((185))

Breccan

Postby Breccan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:41 pm

Good for newbies, but too full of holes for anyone else.

Rule 3) - incorrect. The Bears Faction scalped six legolases as I recall. I was playing an archer with long blonde hair at the time. About all that saved me was that I had been a member of the bears faction for some time and was a ranking member of the Archers Guild. There were about three darth mauls too in phantom menace year.

Rule 5 contradicts rule 2, which is good as it is rubbish - your background forms your character's biases, their decisions and their personality. It's also a good starting point for roleplaying with other characters from the same region as you. Sure, don't shove it in anyone's face, but if you can't come up with a character background then your character basicly consists of stats!
Teyaspa, a wild Everni hunter.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:53 pm

Breccan wrote:Good for newbies, but too full of holes for anyone else.

Rule 3) - incorrect. The Bears Faction scalped six legolases as I recall. I was playing an archer with long blonde hair at the time. About all that saved me was that I had been a member of the bears faction for some time and was a ranking member of the Archers Guild. There were about three darth mauls too in phantom menace year.

Rule 5 contradicts rule 2, which is good as it is rubbish - your background forms your character's biases, their decisions and their personality. It's also a good starting point for roleplaying with other characters from the same region as you. Sure, don't shove it in anyone's face, but if you can't come up with a character background then your character basicly consists of stats!

Lol someone missed the point
............................................................................Image

Breccan

Postby Breccan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:05 pm

no.
Teyaspa, a wild Everni hunter.

Dom

Postby Dom » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:19 pm

So its not an urban myth.... that makes is so much worse and relevent.

They dont contradict each other, the rule is "No one cares about your character background", perhaps it should read "No one else cares about your character background". Who your character is and was should dictate your roleplay, but let the role play tell others who your character is, don't do it in the pub.

I think they are funny, but also helpful for all of us from time to time. I am sure that everyone has broken them at some point, and if people think they havent, EVER they are deluded.

love you all
xxx
Dom

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:22 am

Rule 6 is just extremist nonsense...
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 am

**Stands up AA style**

My name is Ben and I have broken...

4, 6 (but it was Halloween), 7 (almost certainly), 8 (a couple of times), 9 (once...but it was at CP so shouldn't count), 10 (on occasion), 12 (I guess), 13 (I'm sure), 14 (a few times), 15 (yeah...)

BTW aren't 3 and 8 pretty similar? I propose 3 be changed to:

3. You are not the Highlander.
Your character is not immortal: it should be possible to kill them. See rule 7.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Dom

Postby Dom » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah i like the edit Ben, and well done for being so honest :D

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Still relevant :)
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:47 pm

spsblue wrote:As we have a small system at HoP I'd like to take character backgrounds into account and have them affect the plot.

i agree with this. if someone gives a background (or, more excitingly, a list of motives!), i'll make sure something relevant is there to play with. 'plot' should involve players making choices, and if we have a character who is in a better place to make said choices, they should! boom, background=plot. win.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:55 pm

Peter Levy wrote:i agree with this. if someone gives a background (or, more excitingly, a list of motives!), i'll make sure something relevant is there to play with. 'plot' should involve players making choices, and if we have a character who is in a better place to make said choices, they should! boom, background=plot. win.

Plot is irrelevant as Phil Priest just nicks it all, that plot whore
............................................................................Image

Phil.Priest

Postby Phil.Priest » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 pm

in the name of Quarven
Kalist, Hope-Bringer, The Emissary of Hope
Lazar, God of Darkness
D'arvan Weyoun of House Aerielys
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Next event I'm going to find out what Phil is playing, then I can make my background around him, that way when he gets plot, my background will also create plot and like a hopeful dog at the dinner table he may leaves me tiny scraps to savor.

But seriously Phil. Fuck you.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Discussion and Questions”