Serkanians (including proposed rules)

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

Serkanians (including proposed rules)

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

I have never played a serkanian, never been to serke kemi as any of my characters and my only experience of them is really from Edd. Edd is wonderful, his quasi-offensive asian-esque 'accent' isn't exactly to my taste.

I would like to play a Furious Blade, they are cool. Is it possible a Serkanian Furious Blade could be westernised?

What are the traditions, the customs, the fashion, the standards?
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Re: Serkanians

Postby Stevie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm

Probably closest match

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

The Furious Blades were the Samurai style warriors of Serke Kemi which made them the elite.

The first Furious Blade seen in the system (I believe) was during the first Saga where he was the last of the order and was being kept alive by a potion that allowed you to live on for until the sunrise after your death. He sought me out as Quayle and named me as the last of the Furious Blades and told me to train more.

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=4199&p=58234
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:27 pm

Okay, is that a ''Luke, you can't play one''? I really wouldn't mind.

It would be nice to have learned from Quayle, especially given his new position. Let me know your thoughts. My plan was a sort of templar/squire, so medium armour for movement and a two handed templar sword.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 pm

No, not at all, very happy for you (or anyone else) to play one. Was just posting what history there was for them and hope that people would go with the backstory.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Wrote this recently for a Serkanian reboot, it's still an early draft and we're discussing it on the senior ref board so take it with a pinch of salt:

Serke Kemi
The Serkanian Empire consists of the isle of Serke Kemi itself as well as several hundred lesser islands that surround it. The Serkanians are a noble people led by the Empress who resides in the Imperial City of Morsus which lies in the centre of Serke Kemi beneath the shadow of the Sting: a constant reminder of their origins and history.

Although the Empress rules the entirety of Serke Kemi, it is a feudal society and the lands are split into four territories (not including the lands of the Empress and her court). Each of these territories contains a major city and both city and state are ruled over by a feudal lord who is head of one of the four clans.

There are also four orders or castes with Serke Kemi: the Absent, Furious, Shaded and Silent Blades. There are members of these orders within each of the clans however each order has its main temple within the lands of just one and there are certain similarities between the order and the clan's lands in which they train their warriors.

Serkanians
Also known as Humans of the Blood, born of battle in the early years of the world, Serkanians eschew the use of essence instead drawing on an inner power known as chi. Rather than having a large pool of essence restored by sleep or mediation, Serkanians have a small amount of chi that increases as they gain in experience which is fully replenished after 5 minutes of rest.

Serkanians begin with 1 chi and gain another every 10 skill (the first at 20 skill, the next at 30 etc). Serkanians can have a maximum number of chi equal to their maximum soul.

All abilities that could be powered by essence can be powered by the same amount of chi.

Resist Magic (1 chi)
Negate any magical effect equal to one third of your maximum soul rounding up. Therefore a starting character with 8 soul points could negate up to a rank 3 spell. This only negates the effects on you not others affected by the same spell.

Superior Blades
All Serkanian bladed weapons are Master Crafted. However, if your weapon is lost, destroyed or stolen then your soul counts as 0 for the purpose of domination until it is recovered or replaced.

Forearm Parry (H)
8 Skill

Foreleg Parry (H)
12 Skill

The Clans (Races)
When starting a Serkanian character you must select a clan, this is effectively your race and grants certain benefits.

Dragon Clan (+1, -1, 0)
The Dragon Clan rule over the city and lands of Itten, to the east of Morsus. On a clear day you can see across the ocean to Draconis Tielvar. Despite their name, they are not a violent people, they are famed for their nobility and diplomacy and it is within their lands that the order of the Absent Blade have their greatest temple.

Stop Bleeding
May deliver a short sharp blow to a location to stop it from deteriorating.

Phoenix Clan (-1, +1, 0)
Nuru and the lands to the south are the home of the Phoenix Clan. Members of the clan believe in strength in battle above anything else though personal honour comes a close second. It is with these lands that the Furious Blades train their warriors.

Disarm (1 chi)

Tiger Clan (-1, 0, +1)
The Tiger Clan hold the land surrounding the Sting as well as everything west of Morsus including the city of Ika. Though all Serkanians are loyal to the Empress, the Tiger Clan’s proximity to the Imperial City has led to them being particularly favoured within the Empire. The Shaded Blade’s temple is within the lands of the Tiger Clan.

Leg Sweep (1 chi)

Scorpion Clan (0, -1, +1)
Far to the North of Serke Kemi, the Scorpion Clan have their lands. Although it is possible to venture here via the forest of Kengan, this is a dangerous route and most travel by boat from Ika to Kita (the Scorpion Clan’s city). The Scorpion Clan have an unforgiving attitude and it is believed that the Silent Blades train within their lands as well as garnering the most business here.

Backstab (as per goblin)

Lotus Clan (+1, 0, -1)
The ruling elite, this is the clan of the Empress herself. Private to the point of secretive, little is known about them but rumours abound that they consort with demons and wield powerful magic. However, rumours such as this are not tolerated and are quickly silenced.

Strength of Self
Members of the Lotus Clan begin with 1 additional Chi and gain one additional chi each threshold.

The Castes (Classes)

The Furious Blades – The Fire Caste (-2, +1, +1)
Symbol: Triangle
Season: Summer
Samurai style warriors who either use a single two handed sword (daikatana) or a daisho - paired long and short sword (katana and wakizashi).

Furious Blade
The Furious Blade may use his ranks in Two handed sword as if they were One handed sword (this does not stack with any ranks of 1 handed sword already possessed)

Two Handed Parry
While using a Two Handed Sword the Furious Blade gains a Parry Hit for each rank of Two Handed Sword possessed. Parry hits work in the same as Dexterity except they do not increase damage and are only effective against non-projectile weapon blows from the direction you are facing.

The Absent Blades – The Air Caste (+1, -1, 0)
Symbol: Crescent
Season: Spring

Monk style characters who eshew weaponry in their martial art techniques. Masters of the body and soul.

May chose the first rank of one of the following abilities as a starting character:

Healing (1 chi)
Base Cost: 6
The Absent Blade may use his chi to heal the wounds of others. This takes at least 30 seconds of appropriate roleplay (e.g. massage) and is only effective for one location. This skill can be taken multiple times, each time increasing the amount of healing provided (e.g. if this skill has been taken 3 times then 1 chi will heal 3 points of damage to the targeted location).

Reflection (1 chi)
The Absent Blade may restore 1 soul point to a target over the course of 30 seconds spent In joint meditation (must concentrate, must not move or speak loudly). This skill can be taken multiple times, each time increasing the amount of soul restored however each soul point takes 30 seconds of meditation to restore (e.g. if this skill has been taken 3 times then 1 chi will restore 3 points of soul over 90 seconds). 1 additional chi can be used for each additional person to join the meditation.

Cleanse (2 chi)
Immediately pauses all negative spells/effects on the target from progressing. If the Absent Blade is not interrupted for 2 minutes then the effect is removed, however if he is distracted or stops for any other reason the effect continues from the point Cleanse was interrupted.

The Shaded Blades – The Earth Caste (-1, 0, +1)
Symbol: Square
Season: Autumn

Bodoka style warriors, The Shaded Blades are expert fighters though tend to use unarmed combat keeping their sword peace-knotted at their side only drawing it for duels or in dire circumstances. They will only ever use their own blade or unarmed combat.

Shaded Blade
The Shaded Blade may use his ranks in Unarmed as if they were ranks in 1 or 2 handed sword (this does not stack with any ranks of 1 or 2 handed sword already possessed).

The Silent Blades – The Water Caste (+1, -2, +1)
Symbol: Circle
Season: Winter

Better than pirates. Face must be concealed at all times, should your identity be compromised you lose all class abilities until those who have seen your face are dead.

Camouflage (2 chi) (as per Everni)

Stealth (L) (as per Everni)
15 skill

Pass Without Trace (as per scout)

Improved Pass Without Trace (H) (see scout)
8 skill

Wu Jen/Shugenja (+1, 0, -1)
Symbol: Diamond

In Serke Kemi there are 5 elements rather than 9 and there are castes for four of these: Fire, Water, Air and Earth. The last element encompasses everything outside our daily experience: the void, the heavens, spirit, pure energy and could be seen as a catch-all for the absolute spheres of magic. For the Wu Jen or Shugenja this power is not outside their daily experiences for they are the Serkanian magic users.

“Serkanian magic user” seems like a contradiction in terms. Pure Shard running through your blood combined with a racial hatred and mistrust for magic has always made them extremely rare. It was assumed that their power was gained through consorting with demons and so anyone exhibiting signs of such power were slain or imprisoned.

However, some managed to keep their identities a secret while others (it is claimed) have been trained within the Empress’s court and answer directly to her.

Wu Jen can wield any of the 9 elements of Velmaneth though Life, Death and Meta are very rare. They use their own chi to cast these spells meaning that they cast a lot less than their Pargon counterparts.

Reflect Magic (2 chi)
May reflect any spell they could otherwise have resisted (see rules for Resist Magic)

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 pm

Well this is pretty much the most amazing thing I've seen in a while.

I really like the clan structure and I'm very interested to see the Chi/Spellcasting interactions.

Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:11 pm

OMIFUCKINGGOD.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 am

Glad to bring a little excitement :)

The seasons and symbols haven't got a use (yet?), I just included them as they turned up when I was researching the Japanese 5 element belief.

Currently we're mainly discussing chi: trying to balance people having too much every encounter and feeling they have too little.

The Wu'Jen/Shugenja names are taken from D&D Oriental equivalents for Mage/Celebrant. I'm hoping we come up with a new name rather than lifting one like this. They're going to be an interesting class: they'll probably never get to the point where they can cast the most powerful spells but I quite like this as it fits in with the Serkanian mistrust of magic.

I wanted to cap maximum chi to stop high level characters being able to just blow 20 chi every 5 minutes hence the suggested max chi = max soul. Because of this it might be ok to make the chi progression more rapid. My slight concern was abilities such as Frenzy and Dodge which may seem out of reach for a Serkanian due to their essence cost. I suppose Frenzy (does anyone take Blood Frenzy?) could be considered un-Serkanian due to their training but Dodge seems appropriate. It may be that Dodge skills cost half as much chi as they do in essence or something similar.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:05 am

As an immediate observation, furious blade with mend armour and regenerate. Not broken, but potentially infinite heals and repairs.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:06 pm

Luke wrote:As an immediate observation, furious blade with mend armour and regenerate. Not broken, but potentially infinite heals and repairs.

But quite limited in the amount that they could be done at any one time.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Stevie?
As long as I can't lose, I've already won.

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Go one step further: Serkenians just can't standardly do magic the way other races can. They have their own spell list open (only?) to the Lotus clan, similar to the Psychomancy rules. Everything else is a Unique.

I LOVE the idea of the Clan no-one speaks about and has hundreds of contradictory rumours circulating. It reminds me of my two favourite groups from CP - the Eored and the Bwaha-Nunda (that name sounds far more stupid than it should written down) for people who play CP. I was constantly finding out new things about the history they shared, the ways in which they did and didn't communicate, what they relied on each other for. All helped by the fact that everyone who played a Bwaha-Nunda was genuinely scary and very mysterious.
I think as it stands, I know a little bit less than half of the background written for the two groups. I found it all out IC and am probably wrong about some of it. But it's awesome.

So if we can have a group like that in HoP, that would be fantastic. Like the Order of Dakron, but less likely to instigate PvP and with the potential to drop revelations that re-write Serkenian history.
Like when Dark Flight's identity was revealed, and the fallout thereof.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Huw wrote: Like when Dark Flight's identity was revealed, and the fallout thereof.

As I remember the fall out went something like:

TIMESTOP LOL DEAD.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Postby Edd » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

Could I make an argument for forearm Parry being available straight away?

It's strong, but 8 skill is still a lot of skill to spend at that stage, however, it gives the Serkanian a defence. It's not as good as a shield: it's more expensive, shields are bigger, and easier to use. I've been put off of playing a shaded blade/absent blade at 10 skill because I can't parry...with anything until 30 skill (or the situation is dire enough - though I've probably lost an arm by then!) I just feel that forearm parry shouldn't be heroic. Foreleg, sure, but not forearm.

Then again, I think all characters should have fap...so...
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Return to “Discussion and Questions”