Serkanian Rules

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

Serkanian Rules

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:58 pm

I've playtested Furious Blade from Tiger Clan at Heroic. These are my findings.

Basic Serkanian Race
- FaP FlP should be at the least encumbered abilities, but also not have a threshold.
- Resist magic is balanced.
- weapons being MC is fairly standard and didn't affect me all weekend.

Tribes
- Leg sweep is good fun and the chi cost is not crippling, perhaps strong that it's free?
- the other tribe buffs will need examining but I cannot see them being particularly OP.

Furious Blades
- allowing you to use your THW proficiencies in one handed swords is a nice little buff and has little impact on the game play.
- giving a free parry hit with every THW proficiency is strong. Of the 30 skill I had I spent 21 on damage grades. Gave me Six in two hands and three parry hits. As they don't work from anything other than a melee weapon in front of you I think these are balanced and they made for a nice sustaining warrior-class.
- I would suggest some sort of honour code similar to knights but I would like it to be changed. I think (thought this was just my opinion and roleplay) that you should have to seek to destroy demons wherever possible, honour your blade etc.
- dropping to 0 soul for the purpose of domination when your blade is gone is not nearly harsh enough, especially because it is SO easy to get a replacement. Reintegrate is a common enough spell and domination magic isn't all that common nowadays - when it is it's usually more soul than you can have anyway. In my case my sword was broken and the quick fix was there but I decided not to. I didn't feel like it made sense that you'd click your fingers and because some mage cast a spell your honour is restored. Mine was an extreme example, using two gods and killing a demon to reforge honour but I think a harsher penalty or a higher requirement to fix the blade is needed.

Chi
- LOVE IT. I thought it would be overpowered. It wasn't. I had two abilities I could use with chi and most fights I didn't get to use either.
- For me I hate using permanent resources, but I don't want to be a peasant. It was a perfect roleplay hook of not being an essence user and is a really lovely back story for Serke Kemi.
- I worry about it being limited by soul, it sort of caps Serkanians power at around 140 skill. After that you are gaining skill but either wasting it on high cost soul or not gaining chi. It's a complicated issue. 14 essence a fight is strong for sure. Especially as a furious blade who is unlikely to have many abilities past knockdown and regenerate. For Wu Jen it means they are really limited to the first 2 circles of magic. Not something I disagree with. It does SEVERLY limit your ability to use the dodge skills.
- certainly at lower levels I think it's a balanced mechanic.

I only played one character as I mentioned, and the thing I think should be seen as a huge balancing factor is the costume requirements. As far as I remember having to wear asiatic style clothing and NEVER being able to use a shield are pretty serious drawbacks.

Oh and please get rid of having to draw the lame symbol on their forehead. It always looks pap and serves only as fallout from wanting everything to have make up restrictions.

Anyways please give feedback and suggestions as I'm sure everyone wants to hear. Let's stay on topic.

Perhaps the biggest thing to do is compare Wu Jen to a mage, and Furious Blade to a Warrior. I have already sort of done this on my own but I'd be interested to see what others think.

Luke
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Re: Serkanian Rules

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:57 pm

Got a link to the rules? So many threads I can't find it lol

Basic Serkanian Race
- FaP FlP should be at the least encumbered abilities, but also not have a threshold.

Doesn't encumbered just affect the essence cost associated with an ability? That would make them not really applicable to FAP and FLP. Need to check the wording but maybe it could be "Only usable with no armour/leather armour. Is not usable with bows/2 handed weapons." or something like that. Lack of threshold I agree with, as it is similar to a shield for "westerners".

- Resist magic is balanced.

Agreed, always has seemed fine.

- weapons being MC is fairly standard and didn't affect me all weekend.

I think monsters prefer to use fire, shadow and death :P

Tribes
- Leg sweep is good fun and the chi cost is not crippling, perhaps strong that it's free?
- the other tribe buffs will need examining but I cannot see them being particularly OP.

These need to be balanced but don't seem terrible. Will have a look :)

Furious Blades
- I would suggest some sort of honour code similar to knights but I would like it to be changed. I think (thought this was just my opinion and roleplay) that you should have to seek to destroy demons wherever possible, honour your blade etc.

I've never liked that either.

- dropping to 0 soul for the purpose of domination when your blade is gone is not nearly harsh enough, especially because it is SO easy to get a replacement. Reintegrate is a common enough spell and domination magic isn't all that common nowadays - when it is it's usually more soul than you can have anyway. In my case my sword was broken and the quick fix was there but I decided not to. I didn't feel like it made sense that you'd click your fingers and because some mage cast a spell your honour is restored. Mine was an extreme example, using two gods and killing a demon to reforge honour but I think a harsher penalty or a higher requirement to fix the blade is needed.

How about something like "A Furious/Shaded Blade is bonded to their weapon. They cannot use another weapon (unless roleplay related and approved by the appropriate ref at the time). Their ancestral weapon can only be reforge by themselves or a Serkanian Wu Jen"

This may then be a little harsh

Chi
- LOVE IT. I thought it would be overpowered. It wasn't. I had two abilities I could use with chi and most fights I didn't get to use either.
- For me I hate using permanent resources, but I don't want to be a peasant. It was a perfect roleplay hook of not being an essence user and is a really lovely back story for Serke Kemi.

It seemed fine

- I worry about it being limited by soul, it sort of caps Serkanians power at around 140 skill. After that you are gaining skill but either wasting it on high cost soul or not gaining chi. It's a complicated issue. 1 For Wu Jen it means they are really limited to the first 2 circles of magic. Not something I disagree with. It does SEVERLY limit your ability to use the dodge skills.

I dunno. A high mage (wu jen) of the appropriate clan gets -3 to academic, thus gains cheap(ish) soul. 2-3-4-5-6-7 = 27 skill for 14 soul total isn't bad at all. Don't forget its essence per encounter, essentially, and how often does a mage spend more than, say, 20 power per encounter? Rarely I would imagine. Sure, some circle 4-5 spells are out of reach but that's the price of roleplay.

I only played one character as I mentioned, and the thing I think should be seen as a huge balancing factor is the costume requirements. As far as I remember having to wear asiatic style clothing and NEVER being able to use a shield are pretty serious drawbacks.

Gaining FAP and FLP are pretty serious benefits. Also, it's a roleplay choice.

Oh and please get rid of having to draw the lame symbol on their forehead. It always looks pap and serves only as fallout from wanting everything to have make up restrictions.

+1
............................................................................Image

Phil.Priest

Postby Phil.Priest » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Soul to 0 for the rest of the day (for purposes of domination & resist magic)
Kalist, Hope-Bringer, The Emissary of Hope
Lazar, God of Darkness
D'arvan Weyoun of House Aerielys
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:17 pm

Yeah that's good
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:59 pm

I worry about it being limited by soul, it sort of caps Serkanians power at around 140 skill. After that you are gaining skill but either wasting it on high cost soul or not gaining chi.

High soul is good, can resist higher level spells so certainly not a waste. I think there needs to be some sort of mechanic in place to stop them gaining too much.

Perhaps allow Serkanians to use their soul to power abilities if they run out of chi? With a rule that soul cannot be used to cast Life/Death as per sorcerers.

I would suggest some sort of honour code similar to knights but I would like it to be changed.

Very happy for this to be changed...very happy for knight's code to be changed too...

Leg sweep is good fun and the chi cost is not crippling, perhaps strong that it's free?

I feel that racial benefits should be 'worth' about 5-10 skill. Larkant get Persistence and an extra soul for example. Telerfret get a free circle. Knockdown is the closest thing and costs 4 skill.

Am thinking of giving Dragon Clan "Subdue" as well as "Stop Bleeding".

dropping to 0 soul for the purpose of domination when your blade is gone is not nearly harsh enough

Yeah, I put something up on the Proposed Changes Forum for Serkanians and knights as well. My suggestion was to drop to half maximum soul, probably until the sunrise after it has been repaired/replaced.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:12 pm

+1

Could make the weapon thing even harsher and put soul to zero for ALL Serkanian effects and domination. No Chi, no resist, etc. I loved reforging the blade by the fire but that isn't possible on all events and I would refrain from a sort of labourious gimmick where people just sit at a table with their sword and fiddle for a moment and then claim it's fixed.

Edit: Just read your post Ben, and I agree with reduced soul until it is fixed. That way it effects all elements of the character without ruining them completely and maintains the essential 'feel' that Serkanians love swords and that.

It's a difficult one, does it even need a rule? Couldn't it be entirely left to roleplay and if you are real bad then it will affect your mark up? - just musing.

As for high skill level Chi, I'm not as worried about balance, because I think having 30 Chi at 300 skill would be far too much. I'm more concerned that your characters development after that point becomes quite limited. You are only gaining one half of what another character would. It's a pretty small issue but can you imagine playing a character and when you get to Epic you gain half essence every adventure... and then a third... and then a quarter...
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:19 pm

aP FlP should be at the least encumbered abilities, but also not have a threshold.

No threshold but cannot be used if you are wearing metal armour to the location in question due to the weight?

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

As for high skill level Chi, I'm not as worried about balance, because I think having 30 Chi at 300 skill would be far too much. I'm more concerned that your characters development after that point becomes quite limited. You are only gaining one half of what another character would. It's a pretty small issue but can you imagine playing a character and when you get to Epic you gain half essence every adventure... and then a third... and then a quarter...

Like peasants gain none or dragonkin used to gain 1/3rd to 1/6th skill?

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Let's see how it goes and when we get some higher level new style Serkanians we can revisit this.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:23 pm

(Edited my post made at 3:59 as I got mixed up between classes and races)

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Ben wrote:
aP FlP should be at the least encumbered abilities, but also not have a threshold.

No threshold but cannot be used if you are wearing metal armour to the location in question due to the weight?

Maybe just a straight up armour limit. 2 Points? 4? Dexterity is limited at 4 so we could make it all consistent?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Sonny

Postby Sonny » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:31 am

How will chi react to abilities/spells/effects that normally target essence and magic?
Do we treat It like essence or are chi users like peasants counted as essencesless?

Thinking things like essence burn, leech essence, share power, null weapons, and all things pure heart orientated
I'm not a big fat monster...... I'm THE Big Fat Monster
Sonny "McCuddles" Bigwood ((185))

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Sonny wrote:How will chi react to abilities/spells/effects that normally target essence and magic?
Do we treat It like essence or are chi users like peasants counted as essencesless?

Thinking things like essence burn, leech essence, share power, null weapons, and all things pure heart orientated

My assumption would be it isn't essence and not effect by essence related abilities, such as those listed above

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

Yep

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Forgot to add. I didn't do this. The rules are a little hazy but this should be so explicit.

YOU CANNOT USE CHI AND SHARE POWER TO GIVE AWAY YOUR POWER.
Last edited by Luke on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Discussion and Questions”