fap flap fap flap

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Edd

Re: fap flap fap flap

Postby Edd » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:34 pm

With weapon makes sense to me (as both Aquilla and Doki I have done this...) armour does not - its too heavy/intrusive.
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Change to rankable skill? No ranks you can't do it, rank 1 you can do it without weapons/armour, rank 2 you can do it with one or other, rank 3 with both.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:38 pm

Seems legit. Means people don't have to Unique it, as it's asked for commonly enough.

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 am

It makes far less sense to me being able to use it whilst wielding a weapon.

It does need clarifying.

Luke, how do you feel it would best be, putting aside that you want to be uber?
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:15 am

Well I've never really liked Fap and Flp because I never found it to be remotely believable, but I think it is established enough that it wont ever go away.

As to armour I would limit it like Dex - 3/4pts of armour and you can parry, more and you can't. That way if you want to unique it you can, absent, silent, spirit and shaded can use it AS WELL as furious assuming they take a hit to armour. I always found it strange that furious seemed like the odd one out to me.

Whilst wielding a weapon, I think not at all. For me it's about fluid movement and using your palms and arms to pass the blade round you, using a weapon would be too complicated as it requires a closed fist and also it encourages bad gimmicks where someone smacks you on the arm and you shake the arm supposedly ''parrying the blow''.
With two handed swords (let's face it this is going to come up) I think that if you are wielding the weapon with both hands then you can't parry, if however you have one arm/hand free, off the weapon completely, when the blow is ''parried'' then it is fine.

TLDR: Armour cap 4, no to fap with weapons unless obviously free hand.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:11 am

I sort of agree with Luke (except on the "believable" thing - hello world of magic :P)

I don't think it should be armour amount based but armour type. Something like leather or studded leather with a justification of "anything higher is to hard to move in".

As for using a weapon.

1 - I don't think it should effect FLP, it doesn't seem like having a weapon in 2H should effect you moving your legs.

2 - Agree on using a 2H in 2H should prevent the use of FAP. If used in 1H or with duel 1H weapons it is fine, as long as the person is obviously making the effort to parry and not just saying it hit their arms. Just be cool with it :)
............................................................................Image

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:11 am

There we go, traditional HoP rules based on player input. Should totally get the LARP award (don't forget to email nominations!)

Now Ben just needs to solidify where we go from here, but I think the above are a very reasonable set of ideas :-)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:53 am

History Question: Who first introduced FAP/FLP into Larp? (Kinda cause I want to hit them.)

I actually hate it, I think it looks bad 95% of the time and the rest of the time I feel it looks passable at best. I appreciate the believable/un-believable aspect as Andy states because we deal with magic, but there's a difference imagining something is there when it isn't (like imagining Fire Spells etc) and attempting to ignore something that looks bad. For me, it's easier to imagine a lightning storm than it is to ignore trainers. Or for those who were at empire a striped yellow and black hoody (seriously, fuck that guy.. it's still pissing me off).

Anyway, I guess it's kinda here to stay, I know a lot of people love it. Well, maybe two or three.

In my opinion, when used it has to look good, we've had strict-ish rules suggested but no one likes to call people on things in Pargon cause we're all buddies. (Doesn't always help because sometimes people are then unaware that the rules operate differently from how they imagine it)

My suggestion

FAP
Armour above 4pts/Anything not leather = Never
2H = Never
1H = In the other hand yes.
2x1H = Very closely monitored. I don't want to be in a situation where someone half heartedly brings up a forearm to block a blow just to whip a weapon around. I feel the blade has to "turned" each time otherwise you take the damage.

FLP
Yes in all situations except heavy armour. Again turning the blow, not just putting your leg in front of it.

Generally, I feel it's difficult to competently "turn" the blade (at least to the standard that I think doesn't look baD), and I think it should be, because FAP/FLP are strong skills. If you're having a 100% success rate when FAP/FLP, I would have my own doubts. But again, it's probably something that is hard to/won't be called on. It's just whether that aspect of it impacts the system in a negative way and whether we can do anything to better tailor the system to suit peoples preference for FAP/FLP.

Anyway, my personal view on it. I don't use FAP/FLP for that reason (had it as Loph, didn't really like/use it) but it is each to their own.

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Agreed that FLP isn;t affected by your arms. With armour I suggested an armour limit because it's in line with the system already but also it stops people stacking leathers/furs, being in 8pts of unmovable armour and still being able to parry. Maybe make it exactly like dex 1-3pts of armour (so no metal anyway as ring is 4), and at 4 it's unusable.

I don't like FAP with duel weilding, but I could be moved on this point.

Agree then with both Andy and Stevie. It's about looking cool.

On a personal level, I've always loved furious blades, I think they are fucking cool. Seems a shame that they can't really use the keystone serkanian parries without being kinda crippled (due to armour) but I don't know a way around this - I understand you could just wear less armour but then you aren't a samurai. Maybe it's compensated by the (now quite confusing terminology) 2H parry hits. Maybe it isn't.

I think armour limit 3 and only fap with a free hand (oh yeah) is the best ruling?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Armour limit 3
FAP cannot be used while wielding a 2H weapon in 2H

Furious Blades:

"Battle Training: May use FAP/FLP in conjunction with any armour. However, instead of ignoring the damage, gains 1 damage resistance per threshold (does not stack with any others from any source)"
............................................................................Image

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 pm

Maybe that's powerful but it's an idea to work with

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:27 pm

I don't like that you could wield 2 longswords/katanas and still parry. Maybe daggers only?

Also not quite sold on the DR thing, mostly because it seems a bit clunky, could you still count your two handed parries for example when weilding a 2H but parrying?

I've been statting up ten tigers, and I think it's okay not to have parries. You have access to cheap hits, free parry hits, armour, and a LOT of damage. Parries are a gimp but I think Furious Blades are stronger than any of the other serkanian classes to make up for that shortfall. It also sort of makes a distinction between shaded and furious.

I don't use FAP but do you REALLY need it when dual wielding daggers/short swords? Can't you just use the weapon reversed? Isn't that basically the same thing but without spending skill??
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:30 pm

I don't really care either way. Serkanians should only ever use katanas and each one that doesn't should be killed

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:36 pm

OMIGODAGREE
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:30 pm

I always liked the Batman/Ra's Al Ghul fore-arm stuff.

Not Hahgay

Maybe some kinda of Serkanian Only Bracer that takes (x) blows per combat. Refreshed as per Dex.

Return to “Discussion and Questions”