fap flap fap flap

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

Re: fap flap fap flap

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:38 pm

Some solutions/assumptions

1) Let's face it, the only person that thinks Forearm Foreleg parry is cool is Edd.
2) 100% of the time Edd thinks something is cool when every other human being disagrees.
3) Whatever we do Edd is going to be/look/act lame regardless of current rules or peer pressures (or as I like to call them 'standards')
4) Catering to what Edd wrongly assumes is cool is what Heart of Pargon is largely built on, perhaps second only to my ego and Phil's plot-whoring.
5) It is easier to ignore Edd completely, than it is for everyone to look good using forearm foreleg parry.

SOLUTION:

WE LET EDD BUY THE PARRIES BUT OTHERWISE REMOVE THEM FROM THE SYSTEM.

Everyone wins.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Or conversely we give everyone FAP/FLP for free under any circumstances for the next two adventures just to highlight the issue.

AIDS wouldn't be an epidemic if only one guy had AIDS. For this to work we all need to have AIDS.

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Heart of Pargon: where Epileptics go to dance.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Jake

Postby Jake » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 pm

Heart of Pargon: where political correctness goes to die.
Doran Onatah - Orc celebrant of Gerethenax
Duvall - Sellsword and wanderer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Sizel

Postby Sizel » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:22 pm

How about making FA & FL Parries a Damage Reduction equal to the character's DAC, and only useable in situations when they can use said DAC?

It scales in effectiveness as characters gain XP
Deal with the problem of wearing armour + using it at the same time
_
Pete

Thom

Postby Thom » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Did we ever sort this out? Can I ask what the current official ruling is?

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:51 pm

Got removed from the system. Refs decided it looked bad and didn't really fit the theme. I'm pretty sure Edd cried, that was about it.

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:52 pm

If I were to decide, I would say you can't be wielding weapons and max armour of 4.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:11 am

Will wrote:If I were to decide, I would say you can't be wielding weapons and max armour of 4.

And thus no one buys it ever

How is a weapon more prohibitive than armour?
............................................................................Image

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:22 am

Hatsuo1980 wrote:And thus no one buys it ever

Less hyperbole please, this isn't an Empire Facebook page.

From a "reality" point of view, of course wielding a heavy object in your hands is going to affect how well you move your arms more than some leather armour. I'm not even sure how anyone could think otherwise?

From a "system balance" point of view, giving some but limited armour is fair in comparison with the old no armour whatsoever.

From a "flavour" point of view, people don't have to buy it but I'm sure many do because they enjoy that style of fighting. I include you and I in that statement for characters in days gone by.

But, this is my view, it's Ben's place to make a ruling.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:46 am

Will wrote:
Hatsuo1980 wrote:And thus no one buys it ever

Less hyperbole please, this isn't an Empire Facebook page.

I shall rephrase. "I cannot see a situation where people, other than those prohibited from using weapons via class, unique or self-imposed restrictions, would purchase a skill that is 1 - expensive and 2 - offers only situational benefits. If such a clarification was taken to the skills forearm and leg parry, you might as well remove it from the system or change it to how it used to be in terms of who could purchase it".

From a "reality" point of view, of course wielding a heavy object in your hands is going to affect how well you move your arms more than some leather armour. I'm not even sure how anyone could think otherwise?

Is a bo stick a heavy object? How about a dagger? Neither of these are heavy objects.

You are aware that ring mail, as in full metal armour, is AC4, which you proposed right? It seems you have looked at the 2 extremes of the scale (the lightest armour with the heaviest weapon) and not thought through all of the options in relation to your suggestion.

From a "system balance" point of view, giving some but limited armour is fair in comparison with the old no armour whatsoever.

And it's balanced that someone would pay 20 skill for something they would barely use? Let's be honest, it isn't as effective as a shield and if someone is benefitting from the "we can use armour" side of FAP/FLP aren't they also probably using a weapon anyway?

From a "flavour" point of view, people don't have to buy it but I'm sure many do because they enjoy that style of fighting. I include you and I in that statement for characters in days gone by.

I don't enjoy it from a perspective of not using a weapon with it and I would imagine most people are the same. I much preferred the fighting style while using a weapon.

A prohibitive change doesn't feel fair for a pair of skills that cost a total of 20 skill when shield prof is arguably as effective, if not more so, and does not have any restrictions.
............................................................................Image

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm

BTW

How does the weapon in your hands effect you moving your legs?

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Hatsuo1980 wrote:A prohibitive change doesn't feel fair for a pair of skills that cost a total of 20 skill when shield prof is arguably as effective, if not more so, and does not have any restrictions.

Ok so here's the crux of it. My suggestion is actually an improvement based on what Forearm parry used to be when it was set in stone, which was no weapons, no armour. That's where I'm coming from. Over the years that kind of got lost, hence we're talking about defining it now.

I would equally argue that ring mail is not nearly as restrictive to the balance of your arms as wielding a weapon, and yes, of course there are weapons that are lighter but do we really want a system where we have to start classifying weapons by weight? The majority are heavy.

But anyway, coming from a point where weapon wielding is accepted then yes, absolutely, keep it at that. Maybe make the cost different for weapon wielding classes (so cheaper for Absent Blades).

And you still need to learn to engage in these discussions Andy without putting down/gently mocking your opponent.

Example:

Is a bo stick a heavy object? How about a dagger? Neither of these are heavy objects.

You are aware that ring mail, as in full metal armour, is AC4, which you proposed right?

Mocking, suggesting ignorance and/or stupidity

Better way of making point:

I would argue that a bo stick is not a heavy object compared to a sword and wouldn't restrict movement.

I think that ring mail, as metal armour which falls into the AC4 bracket, would be quite restrictive.

It's hard to respond calmly in a discussion when the other side is trying to make you look bad. We're not in politics.

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Hatsuo1980 wrote:BTW

How does the weapon in your hands effect you moving your legs?

It doesn't but then you move into system balance and simplicity.

Return to “Discussion and Questions”