LARPs represent the obsessive, delusional side of fantasy

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

LARPs represent the obsessive, delusional side of fantasy

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:13 pm

"It sounds harmless enough, but to many geeks, LARPs represent the obsessive, delusional side of fantasy role-playing—the actual freaks who make the rest of us look like freaks."

http://www.salon.com/2013/08/18/the_obs ... e_playing/

If you are interested then read to the end.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: LARPs represent the obsessive, delusional side of fantas

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Very standard American view of LRP is that it's somehow the lowest echelon of fandoms, somewhere slightly above Furries.

http://brunching.com/images/geekchartbig.gif
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm

I’m no wizard—but once a week, I feel like I am. Role-playing games allow me to experience the fantastic, and even though it’s make-believe, the catharsis is real. My life isn’t wanting for magic, because I’ve got Dungeons & Dragons.

Great quote.

This article is actually positive, despite the title :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:41 pm

To my slightly critical eye it lacks a real conclusion:

I had a great weekend, but something was amiss. As the event concluded on Sunday, I heard other participants describe their adventure in terms like “life-changing” and “best thing I’ve ever done”—and I couldn’t reciprocate. Sure, it was fun . . . but not profound. I wondered why I didn’t share that experience.

It’s possible my initial fears and prejudices kept me from fully enjoying the event, but I doubt it. I’m sure everyone else started out nervous, but before long we were all fully engaged. Instead, I think the people affected most strongly by Otherworld lack my regular access to fantasy. Sure, they might watch “Game of Thrones” or play World of Warcraft, but that’s observation, not participation. Their personal day-to-day existence is mundane: expected, explainable. We all live in the muggle world, and only a few of us are lucky enough to get a peek into Hogwarts.

"I had a great weekend, but something was amiss" the insight he gives is that LARP is only "the best think I've ever done" if you don't play D&D. "It was fun but not profound" suggests he finds D&D profound.

Liked the article but I think I would have preferred the ending to have been a bit clearer.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:42 pm

@ will Yeah that's why I said read to the end. It's difficult because it starts as just a wall of prejudice and then slowly falls down to him quite enjoying it but painting out ''real'' larp as a kind of bad guy. Seems like there is this necessity to portray your hobby as ''IT'S NOT LIKE THOSE OTHER LOSERS, IT IS MORE ABOUT THE <INSERT ARBITRARY VALUE> AND THAT MAKES IT BETTER".

Interesting, I thought.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:13 pm

It was a very weird/interesting angle. I'm not sure how the system he's described differs from LARP... it's a different genre of the hobby to what we usually play (as in it's a one off rather than progressive development system) but it is still LARP....
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:25 pm

Exactly but even the friend who introduces it immediately distances himself from it. I guess its just a reaction to known popular prejudice. You assume the reader has seen role models and have to work from there by explaining how different your particular game is.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Thom

Postby Thom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:09 pm

Maybe it's because I started LRPing (we still calling it LRPing or is it LARPing? Or doesn't it mater cause it's a silly distinction in the first place?) first (and I still don't really enjoy DnD), but I've always thought that DnD was the stupider form of LRP.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:50 pm

(we still calling it LRPing or is it LARPing? Or doesn't it mater cause it's a silly distinction in the first place?)

LRP was the accepted term in the UK for years, LARP was originally an Americanism. I prefer the acronym LRP (pronounced El-Are-Pea) to the word LARP but it's a personal preference.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 pm

For me D&D is a game, I've never been part of a group where roleplay was involved much. The game would be very slow if people did spell vocals or roleplayed how badly injured they were because you have to take turns, LRP doesn't have that restriction. I don't have to say "I walk over and hit the Orc" (roll for initiative) I just walk over and hit the Orc. It might dodge. It might run. It might hit me first. Roleplaying the conversations with NPCs is about as far as I go but the DM has to be in to it.

Basically, LRP (for me) is very different to D&D: some elements are the same but they're almost impossible to compare beyond superficially. I'm not saying one is better than the other, different people will prefer different experiences.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Thom

Postby Thom » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:19 pm

Ben wrote:For me D&D is a game, I've never been part of a group where roleplay was involved much. The game would be very slow if people did spell vocals or roleplayed how badly injured they were because you have to take turns, LRP doesn't have that restriction. I don't have to say "I walk over and hit the Orc" (roll for initiative) I just walk over and hit the Orc. It might dodge. It might run. It might hit me first. Roleplaying the conversations with NPCs is about as far as I go but the DM has to be in to it.

Basically, LRP (for me) is very different to D&D: some elements are the same but they're almost impossible to compare beyond superficially. I'm not saying one is better than the other, different people will prefer different experiences.

Maybe it's cause I was like 10 when I started, but to me LRP came from coming out of the cinema having watched LotR and going "OMG I wanna go be Legolas/Aragorn/some random warrior of Minas Tirith and smash a load of orcs faces in just like in the films" not "OMG I wanna say I'm going to attack an orc and then roll some dice..."

I dunno... Just seems odd to me.

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:59 am

I use LARP and always stuck HoP as LARP as a distinguishing between Vampire the Masquerade type games that call themselves Live Role Play and us, who actually have the Action part

Return to “Discussion and Questions”