Damage Focus/Essence Strike

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

Damage Focus/Essence Strike

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:14 pm

So considering taking one or both of these on my serkanian. How do people feel about them? The ability to do typed magic damage is definitely cool, and on serkanians with chi it's potentially useful.

Damage focus is good I suppose, it breaks amd but is inefficient past +2 damage and takes too much time to activate only to potentially miss.

have you used them? When have they been good/useful?

Is it worth taking just to call 8 on a 59 skill event?
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Damage Focus/Essence Strike

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:17 pm

I proposed this some time ago, I think it was generally agreed to:

Ben wrote:Essence Strike now costs 1 essence per blow and you can choose the element if you wish (the reason behind this is that a caster can enchant a weapon to be elemental for 5 minutes for 4 essence, 2 essence per blow was very inefficient - 1 per blow is still inefficient but less so)

As for Damage Focus, I had it as Quayle and used it a handful of times to show off but generally I don't rate it as a good use of essence (or even Chi). I think you can get more benefit from a Shatter Blow or a Knockdown than just an extra 2 damage (although admittedly Shatter/Knockdown can be resisted).
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Yeah I had similar thoughts, I was going to apply for a kind of backlash unique, where you gain bonus damage but take damage yourself. Kind of like combining both essence strike and damage focus. so +1 damage, take a dart, +2 damage take a bolt. But still seems really weak.

Struggling to build an offense based character :/

I like shatter blow, and cutting blows (though not with chi?), LOVE stunning blow.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 pm

"Through" is generally only useful against players (and maybe big NPCs, though probably not).

The problem with Cutting Blows is that it's Legendary. By the time you can get it, 3 essence (or chi) to take your 6 to a "Triple Through" probably isn't going to be game changing.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:11 pm

To be honest, I don't think any damage is really game changing. 6 does same as quad to most monsters I'd wager.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Discussion and Questions”