Loophole to be closed?

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Loophole to be closed?

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:00 pm

According to the core rules:

Through damage is always considered to be piercing damage.

Can you then buy Cutting Blows to call through

with one type of weapon selected at time this ability is bought

And then be able to use Shield Pierce with a melee weapon?
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Re: Loophole to be closed?

Postby Luke » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 pm

Both expensive essence abilities. Seems fine. Shield pierce is crap anyway.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:26 pm

Shield pierce with a melee weapon means I can cut your arm off just by tapping your shield though.

Say I can do 6, I can instead call triple-through to your arm by hitting your shield with my sword. Costs 5 essence which is expensive I agree.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:30 pm

I'd argue that shields are more OP and a way of getting through them (all be it expensively) isn't a terrible thing? :)
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:37 am

Also at comparative skill your opponent will have DRs, globals, dex, get outs, healing, regeneration. I don't see it breaking the game.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 pm

Agreed. The arm isn't a critical location, so it in no way confers an instant death etc.

I would say maybe a gentlemen's agreement on the use of it. As the puncture would typically come from an arrow which is powerful built up tension you could argue that when using Shield Pierce with a melee weapon the blow has to be a significantly large one, and the weapon used be over 24". (The idea of a dagger punching through a shield doesn't seem right to me. Maybe a short axe.. but they're rarely used. Though that could be a good buff for Axe wielding? In fact.. new idea.)

Shield Pierce may be used in conjunction with a melee weapon provided it is an Axe/Spear and the user has the relevant proficiencies. (We don't see enough weapon variation. How come everyone has swords.)

Thom

Postby Thom » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:18 pm

I've had shield pierce called by monsters using a melee weapon before. It seemed fine- They were large 2H weapons and made the fight more interesting for me (and I'd imagine the monster). I agree with what's been said- it's not game breaking.

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:26 pm

I know I'm like the worst person in the universe to argue this. But are we of the opinion that shields are a bit too good?

I mean they are an ultimate defence and I can testify to how broken they can be. I think their strength largely comes in the fact that IRL you are hit with a two handed sword, and you raise a shield, that shield is going to be broken, it's gunna knock you flying and you're gunna die. A lot of it is roleplay, and I see players regularly throwing themselves back when they aren't ''told'' to by the rules - it makes it epic.

But just as devils advocate - how would the system change if shields had hit points? Just the same as armour?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 pm

The problem there would be keeping track. It's harder to know how much and what with a shield has been hit by.

Introducing more abilities and ways of getting through shields would be a much better method of diminishing their power.
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:46 pm

Is it any more difficult than keeping track of your chainmail hits or your dex? I don't really think so. Just thought it could be cool. Standard shield has 20 hit points. you can craft shields with more, or +1 means the shield has a DR etc.

But yeah abilities to deal with shields... make disarm and fumble standard abilities, make shield pierce much cheaper, make MC shields harder to find/buy (I think my guild is responsible for like all the MC shit flying around).
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Will
Over 9000!!!!

Postby Will » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Well, the blows aren't striking you, they're striking another object, so you lose some of the sense of being hit. I know it's on your arm, but it's not the same. Also, it's another pool of hits to keep track of...

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:31 pm

I like that shields are good, I don't want to make them less so.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:47 pm

Yeah, I don't think shields are an issue. Almost anyone can pick one up without much skill investment.

Return to “Discussion and Questions”