Monsters and Fighting

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

willmhudson

Re: Monsters and Fighting

Postby willmhudson » Wed May 14, 2014 2:14 pm

You are baiting me into further defending your argument (which i'm fine with), but spoilers; it aint the mechanics.

The players are of a very high standard. One of my favourite events ever was the HoP excursion to Alone. With no restrictions you guys really shone. It was great to be a part of.
Last edited by willmhudson on Wed May 14, 2014 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed May 14, 2014 2:15 pm

willmhudson wrote:You are baiting me into further defending your argument (which i'm fine with), but spoilers; it aint the mechanics.

Yes, yes I was. Well sort of...
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:20 pm

YOU MEAN IT WOULDN'T BE EASY?! HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO SHORT SIGHTED????

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be sarcastic to make your point...
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed May 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Hatsuo1980 wrote:
YOU MEAN IT WOULDN'T BE EASY?! HOW COULD I HAVE BEEN SO SHORT SIGHTED????

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be sarcastic to make your point...

I was joking. (That isn't sarcasm).
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:27 pm

Also, the point wasn't for you (seeing as how we had discussed those exact points on fb before I posted this), it was for everyone who doesn't clearly see that it wouldn't just be damage grades that change.
............................................................................Image

Phil.Priest

Postby Phil.Priest » Wed May 14, 2014 2:28 pm

I'm stealing Stevies job...
Attachments
Sarc.jpg
Sarc.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 957 times
Kalist, Hope-Bringer, The Emissary of Hope
Lazar, God of Darkness
D'arvan Weyoun of House Aerielys
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed May 14, 2014 3:22 pm

I think fear of things being difficult is absolutely no excuse not to consider and explore ideas which could better the system.

It's like saying ''well I couldn't be bothered to look for good costume, too time consuming, so I'm going to wear wellington boots, they are big, out of place and break everyone's immersion, but boy are they comfy!"

Change wellington boots for 'damage calls' and you see where I'm going with this :P

Maybe I should put it on a campaign poster:

SEEK CHANGE

OR FOREVER BE GALATINE.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed May 14, 2014 3:47 pm

We've been discussing something like this on the Senior Ref board (where a lot of ideas are discussed and if they have merit are released).

It's a complete overhaul of the system which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I personally like the system and prefer to make less broad changes.

I think the 'problem' is that the rules were never designed to deal with such high level characters.

Here's my idea for change:

Get rid of the modifiers to Max Damage so your class's -2 to martial/stealth doesn't affect your max damage.

Change from "weapon prof sword", "weapon prof axe", "weapon prof dagger" etc to just 2 skills "weapon prof: dex based" and "weapon prof: strength based". A warrior can then call the same damage with an axe or a mace as he can with a sword leading to people being more willing to try other weapons rather than always sticking with the same one. However, as a counter-point increase the cost of the 2 "weapon prof" skills to 8 or something.

Warrior will now pay 5 skill for his first point of prof instead of 2. To get to quad in one hand he'll have to spend 18 skill on prof (and 9 on strength) instead of 18 to get both. Subsequent points of prof are going to cost 8 then 9 etc eventually pricing him out of the market.

The other possibility is to change the amount of skill gained.

1-6 was reasonable for day adventures but now we don't really have them there's no reason that an event should give up to 30 (or 90 for Saga). If Saga gave a maximum of 50 and a weekend gave a maximum of 15 then people would progress slower, people would have less essence and we wouldn't end up with huge gaps between the lowest skilled players and the highest.

After Saga we have a 10 year IC gap: perfect opportunity for overhaul.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 14, 2014 3:58 pm

I like the skill overhaul.

The could be a mandatory "retirement" point for characters, where they are only allowed to be played for specific events, with ref permission, maybe?

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed May 14, 2014 4:14 pm

I love the low skill game, so I am totally happy for this.

Erm, regarding the 10 year gap being a good time for overhaul, what do people think about a Heart of Pargon downtime system? (I guess broadly similar to what I've experienced with Labyrinthe)

I think given that there's less adventures, there's less capability to affect things on a small scale so I wouldn't object to HoP having a downtime system where characters could develop outside of adventures (not in a gaining skill kinda way, but in a depth to the game way - I know we have IC boards for stuff like that, but perhaps to have something that has a rules system behind it).

Hmm.. I have freetime at work. I'm going to draw up a brief outline of what I mean.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed May 14, 2014 4:16 pm

Play By Mail, sort of

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed May 14, 2014 4:20 pm

Yup! That was the word I was looking for, couldn't remember it for the life of me.

willmhudson

Postby willmhudson » Wed May 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Raid all of the ports, all of the time.

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Wed May 14, 2014 4:38 pm

Hatsuo1980 wrote:I like the skill overhaul.

The could be a mandatory "retirement" point for characters, where they are only allowed to be played for specific events, with ref permission, maybe?

I like this idea and consider(ed) doing it on Fern as he is reaching the top end of characters. I would be more than happy to 'let him go' as it were and just be a part of the plot / background of Pargon and maybe turn up on the odd EPIC adventure, such as the end of the world..

Secondly, regarding the lower stats and epic fighting, I found that the low skill saga worked really well where we possibly gained some abilities or skill over the week. This would be harder to impliment over a weekend but can still be done. This whole thread has given me the thought and possibly confidence to role play well and cheat slightly (if that is what we are saying is right for Sonny's position which i think is so) as it would look nicer whilst still having the stats. In my future playing or monstering i will definitely have this in mind.

If you are wanting to try this without an immediate overhaul to the system, you could host a trial event to play without the damage and see how it goes?
As long as I can't lose, I've already won.

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Wed May 14, 2014 5:14 pm

I like that Stevie.
As long as I can't lose, I've already won.

Return to “Discussion and Questions”