Monsters and Fighting

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Monsters and Fighting

Postby Ben » Wed May 28, 2014 7:30 am

Seems a bit harsh - If I've spent the XP to be able to call '10', but am only calling '5' for about half the blows I'm landing, doesn't that mean I've wasted a lot of my XP on something I'm not using? It's a bit different with abilities that cost Essence to use, they are clearly something that's big and special and unusual. But my grades of Strength or my Weapon Masteries are always "on".

not a rule but a piece of guidance

You are always strong, always skillful but you don't land a perfect blow every time.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Re: Monsters and Fighting

Postby Peter Levy » Wed May 28, 2014 12:25 pm

Sizel wrote:The XP system works to allow players who are not fit athletes to play stonking warrior types and simultaneously rewards someone role-playing a character who is not so good at fighting.

In my experience truly Low Hit systems can compound the "tippy tappy" problem - because first blow wins the fight there's even more motivation to resort to less cool fighting styles and get your blow in first.
Truly High Hit systems, with fights lasting ages, can be less fun as there's no feel of threat/danger other than through attrition.

these.
Señor Ref

Return to “Discussion and Questions”