Alchemy, Thaumaturgey, Sorcery

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Alchemy, Thaumaturgey, Sorcery

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:22 pm

Scavenge [*]
Base Cost: 2
Effects: May begin adventure with one
complexity one potion of players choice, as
ingredients are scavenged from surrounding areas.
Multiple buys of this skill means more potions are
scavenged. Skill does not increase in cost with each
purchase.

This represents finding ingredients, perhaps add to this that they can also find enough on adventure to make X stuff free?
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Yeah I love that ability, maybe just make it 'can scavenge 4 rava worth of ingredients before adventure' this rava must be used on alchemy.

That way you can make a complexity 2 if you like, or put it towards a complexity 3 etc.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Sounds good.

Maybe an essence ability for alchemists "Harvest" or something so that they can expend essence to find ingredients on adventure but make it cost something? Must still find appropriate phys reps.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:12 pm

They already spend essence on making potions and need phys reps and time and rava. All to achieve a stored version of a spell which may fail to be created!

Personally I think if you find the ingredients, then you can just make it! Hardly like anyone is ever going to be an imbalanced alchemist!
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 pm

They already spend essence on making potions and need phys reps and time and rava.

But this would be them using essence in replacement of rava: the potions would be free to attempt if the essence had been used to collect the ingredients.

Do they have to use essence to make potions? I forget.

Personally I think if you find the ingredients, then you can just make it!

It's just we don't have a list of ingredients, quantities etc so there's technically nothing to stop someone from picking some grass and saying they have enough to make 10 potions.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:27 pm

It's just we don't have a list of ingredients, quantities etc so there's technically nothing to stop someone from picking some grass and saying they have enough to make 10 potions.

A ref?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:21 pm

Luke wrote:

A ref?

Do on dungeon makes have to be overseen by a ref? If not, the above doesn't apply. If so, fair point.
............................................................................Image

Dom

Postby Dom » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:42 pm

When i have reffed alchamists before, they have either brought me plants saying they are known ingredients and asked how many doses they think they could make. Or brought me a range of plants and done rp and tests to find out what they all do.

Without exception they have all done sufficient (sometimes foolish amounts) of rp looking for plants on site, testing them and making potions and then ask how many of their attempted batch sucseed. I often have to argue that more have worked than they say, or give them a cool rp benefit otherwise they would end up with too little.

As long as its not silly, make on dungon does not need to be 'controled' as it will always add to the immersion of others and the game around them.
"I genuinely have never enjoyed an event so much" Ben 08/09
"Never enough dead players" Will 2011
"Cutting off people's faces is Sick!" Malven aka Flash 2011
http://www.jitsu.me/Home.html

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:35 am

A ref?

And Dom's point.

If we put an essence cost (or even just a time cost) on finding ingredients in order to eschew the use of money (and maybe even the chance factor of having to roll dice?) then everyone knows what the rules are/what is expected of them. A ref doesn't have to be found to do it, the player just knows what they are able to do. If they find something cool/unusual then come to see a ref and say what you want to do with it.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:20 am

Yeah seems fair. Definitely should need phys reps. Also I think keep it as a seperate skill to scavenge. I love scavenge as it is, spend 10 skill and get 5 potions every adventure? yes please!!
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Discussion and Questions”