Alchemy, Thaumaturgey, Sorcery

A general place for you to discuss Heart of Pargon and ask the team any questions that you have about anything. Upcoming events will be listed here.

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

Alchemy, Thaumaturgey, Sorcery

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:51 am

A few questions:

1) Does the alchemist class require a player to 'apply' for the multiclass, and does it cost skill?
2) Does the sorcerer magic item restriction (not liking magic to be bound in items) apply to potions/elixirs etc?
3) So could a sorcerer become an alchemist?
4) There has been precedent before that potions 'stack' with spells of the same name. Is this correct?
5) I'm interested in playing a desert thaumaturge, what do people feel is the best class for this? I was obviously thinking sorceror/alchemist.
6) if someone is a straight alchemist (in the players experience) how the hell do you stay alive? I can't really see any way of gaining any defence?

Thanks

Luke
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Re: Alchemy, Thaumaturgey, Sorcery

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:51 am

inb4: Andy will find some issue with this ;)
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:05 am

1) Does the alchemist class require a player to 'apply' for the multiclass, and does it cost skill?

Quoting the rules

Peoples of Velmaneth

Advanced Classes

The following section contains a number of classes that can only be accessed by Multi- classing (for full rules on Multi-classing see the Core Rulebook). However, the Crafter and Alchemist classes do not take up the characters multi class slot. The Threshold symbol after each class shows the earliest the class can be attained.

Core Rules

Multi classing is an option that may only be taken by characters of at least Heroic level. When you wish to multi class you must send the request to the uniques team via a „unique‟ form. A multi class takes up a „unique‟ skill slot, and all the rules applying to „uniques‟ apply.

This is so a cost for multi classing can be assigned and ensure that it is not too powerful. It will generally cost around 10 skill. Once multi classed, the character gains access to the skills/spells/abilities available to the class bought into, and may now buy skills with the modifiers as that class. They no longer buy skills with modifiers as their „old‟ class but may still buy abilities/spells etc available to their old class.

The rules are there to be read :)

2) Does the sorcerer magic item restriction (not liking magic to be bound in items) apply to potions/elixirs etc?

I would say no. While potions are now magical (can't remember why this changed, I think it was for magic only creatures or something) it isn't bound magic as such, in my opinion.

3) So could a sorcerer become an alchemist?

Yes.

4) There has been precedent before that potions 'stack' with spells of the same name. Is this correct?

Yes. In the past an Alchemist's potion mimics a spell but isn't the same and thus was able to stack with the actual spell.

5) I'm interested in playing a desert thaumaturge, what do people feel is the best class for this? I was obviously thinking sorceror/alchemist.

Maybe celebrant? Sorc/Alc seems fine

6) if someone is a straight alchemist (in the players experience) how the hell do you stay alive? I can't really see any way of gaining any defence?

Straight alchemist? Well you can't be a base class alchemist. Also, if you choose to spend your skill on no survival skills, that's your choice and you may well die but you decided for your spend to be that way.
............................................................................Image

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:06 am

1.) I think you still have to apply for it, but as it's an established class the process is usually quicker. (The application process is to ensure your character is suited to the role. For Example, a Mistborn would probably be a bad fit).
2.) Potions and Elixirs I have always classed as physically made items (using herbs etc) that replicate magical effects. To that end they are not magic, and can stack with the same magic effects.
3.) I believe so.
4.) Yup
5.) I think Pargon is good in the way that classes are fluid. There's nothing stopping you using the Mage class and buying and acting like a Warrior (albeit a bad one due to skill costs). I think Sorc/Alchemist certainly suits. I don't feel Sorc and any of the other crafting classes would gel quite so well as they imbue "actual" magic into items.
6.) As far as I'm aware most have come from Multiclasses, I feel there's nothing stopping you wearing a bunch of armour like a Warrior, buying up Dex like a scout or relying on spells. If it's a straight unique version, they would most likely use one of the 3 archetypes and build defensibly as standard.

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:09 am

Stevie wrote:2.) Potions and Elixirs I have always classed as physically made items (using herbs etc) that replicate magical effects. To that end they are not magic, and can stack with the same magic effects.

Peoples of Velmaneth

Potion Lists:
Unless stated otherwise, a potion mimics the effects of the spell it is named after (See The Tome of Magic).

All potion effects are considered magical.
............................................................................Image

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 am

Cheers, I don't have access to the core rules atm (on my phone) so I couldn't read the core rules Andy, but thanks for helping with that.

By straight alchemist I was more thinking, though badly phrased, 'Which classes would you see as the most useful for staying alive, considering the want to spend skill on alchemy'

Though reading People's of V, being an Alchemist sort of costs nothing, and the upgrades don't really help all that much with creation. That's kind of awesome.

Okay this concept is coming together so cheers guys :)
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 am

Luke wrote:By straight alchemist I was more thinking, though badly phrased, 'Which classes would you see as the most useful for staying alive, considering the want to spend skill on alchemy'

Warrior: high armour = higher survival odds
Celebrant: good armour, life magic, some protective magic
Sorc: As Celebrant but without the armour

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:24 am

Good, I was thinking similar. I think it has to be a reliance on that ole 'Shield of X'.

Celebrant doesn't fit the culture and neither does warrior. Will have a play around with Sorc and High Mage and see what comes up.

Do you guys remember a few saga's ago there was an npc Thaumaturge played by Andy B, anyone remember what class it was or what circles it had?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:29 am

Luke wrote:Do you guys remember a few saga's ago there was an npc Thaumaturge played by Andy B, anyone remember what class it was or what circles it had?

Had everything. Could do everything. Could even heal the soul of golems without souls or something.

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:39 am

Oh yeah I remember that! 4 of us at 5am after an all nighter walking around looking for a ritual circle to break the golems.

Don't think any of us have ever been that apathetic.

Goooood times :D
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:43 am

Back on track, creating a potion costs 2 rava, 1 essence and 10 minutes per complexity of the potion. Assuming you find the ingredients on adventure, do you still need to pay the rava? How do you pay it? Do you boil it in a beaker or something?

So sort of like in tabletop games, could an alchemist instead spend some rava at the start of the adventure to purchase 'ingredients' and then use those how they see fit during adventure?

This is more speculative, what do people think? Do we even like the rava restriction at all? To me I feel like creating potions on adventure should cost no rava but be spoiled once the adventure is finished.

Then use the rava thing for 'downtime' alchemy where you can sell to players.
Thoughts?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:58 am

Luke wrote:do you still need to pay the rava? [...]should cost no rava [...]Then use the rava thing for 'downtime' alchemy where you can sell to players.

Typical money hungry jew.

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:03 am

That... was the worst.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Erynion

Postby Erynion » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:12 pm

Im with Luke on that, I dont think it should cost rava to make potions on adventures. I think there is a lot more potential for roleplaying the searching and finding of ingredients.
Erynion - Possessed wood elf - Dead again
Quinn - The jester - Dead
Anthony Landon - How much you paying?
Chase - The hunter - only nice character I seem to have :)

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Also there is nothing stopping refs including a merchant who sells alchemical ingredients on event. have a mix of both!
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Discussion and Questions”