War of the Fey

For important announcements and happenings from across the world

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

War of the Fey

Postby Ben » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:10 pm

Pacts. Discussions. Arguments. Fights. Nothing had succeeded.

The ten courts of the Fey could not agree on how they should proceed in their dealings with Velmaneth. In the end it had all come down to one simple choice: seal the portal or leave it unsealed.

Those who believed it should be sealed, the courts of the Absolutes: Stealth, Mercy and Magic gathered under Oblivion's banner as did what remained of the courts of Blood and Desire: their lords lost.

Meanwhile the Elemental courts, those of Strength, Pride, Battle and Loki formed up around the portal, willing to defend it with their lives.

And so ten courts became two: the Sealie and the Unsealie.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: War of the Fey

Postby Ben » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:22 am

Around the portal, the camps had sprung forth. The glittering ostentatious tents of the Courts of Pride and Loki in stark contrast with the spartan camps of Strength and Battle. There was a commotion as through the camps, a woman was dragged by a pack of Midari, her shouts and screams could be heard even above the general hubbub of thousands of Fey preparing for war.

Strength lounged in his tent as the woman was brought in and thrown to the floor in front of him. He growled at the interruption but his displeasure was cut short as the woman pulled herself up.

"Lady Mercy. It has been some time."
"Strength..." she was bleeding and the bruising somewhat mired her beauty but still...
"My Lord" he corrected her, an animal glint his eye.
"Lord Strength...why...?" he preferred her like this, it was as if her spirit to resist was broken.
"I should ask you the same. Why did you betray us? Why join Oblivion?" he was angry but it was contained.
"He would see the gate closed. We would be safe." there was something attractive about her vulnerability...
"I can keep you safe my lady but you want us to hide." he moved to her side and ran his hands across her side.
"If the gate had not been opened, the Glooms...Death...the To'krien...none of this..." she shuddered at his touch but didn't pull away.
"But it was. That cannot be changed."
"It could be sealed." pleading...he liked it when she begged.
"And we could be sealed away, stifled, dying."
"We can't die in here Strength."
"We can't live either. Oblivion has spent too long with mortals, he is almost one of them."
"One of them? Bishop..."
His rage bubbled up and he struck her, knocking her to the floor once more, "I am not Bishop, you are not Talia. We gave up those lives and our connection to that world."
She drew herself up once more but her pain was evident, "For someone who claims to have given up their connection to that world, you seem desperate to keep a connection open..."
He grabbed her by her neck and dragged her, kicking and screaming to the centre of the camp, ripping her dress from her as he went. Beside the portal, in manacles of Pure Shard, she was chained as a warning.
There would be no Mercy.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:52 am

In the circle, where the worlds overlapped, lay Mercy on the central altar. A dozen stakes penetrated her flesh, driven into the rock beneath. Her blood flowed from the wounds, drenching the stone, staining the ground beneath crimson. Battle, Strength, Pride and Loki stood at the cardinal points of the circle and waited.

Time passed and an ethereal form appeared in the circle, a figure wearing a white mask with a star over one eye and a large hole where the mouth should be. The figure held out an arm and emitted a high-pitched screech, a shrieking, tortured whistle like a knife on glass and after a few moments a bird swooped down from the sky, an ethereal bird with body of stone and ghostly, shadowy wings. It perched on the Herald's outstretched arm and sat there, waiting.

Battle was first to speak "We have a proposition."
The herald turned but did not speak.
"A pact to make with Blood."
Loki stepped in seamlessly "A pact with Lord Death."
Still the herald remained silent and Strength let out a growl.
Loki shot him a glance before continuing "We offer the immortality of the courts of Loki, Strength, Pride and Battle. Should members of our courts die in the Fey realm it will be as if they had died in the mortal world, they will pass on to the Hope Wastes."
Mercy let out a groan, it could have been an objection but the interruption was ignored by the lords.
"And what would you ask in return?" came the voice from the Herald's orifice.
It was Pride "That you take the same from all other Fey."
"In particular," Loki cut in "the courts of Mercy, Oblivion, Deception, Magic, Blood and Desire."
There was silence. The Herald seemed to be looking at the bird, perhaps listening. Eventually he nodded.
"It is agreed." the bird faded followed by the Herald until the Lords were left gathered around the bleeding Mercy.
"Let us see if it has succeeded." Battle nodded towards Loki who raised his sword, swinging it down towards Mercy's neck. Just as it should have made fatal contact he faltered, dropping his sword. The Fey Lord of Airlooked down in surprise, blood blossoming from around a shining point, the tip of Strength's sword. Battle slumped to the floor, his blood mixing with Mercy's. The Fey Lord was dead. Strength sheathed his sword.
"Find someone to replace him" he turned from the other lords and spoke to ones of his Midari "and have Mercy taken to my sanctum."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:23 pm

"My spies report they Unsealie have Lady Mercy."
Within the Sealie camp, Deception addressed his fellow Fey lords.
"Ridiculous!" replied Magic.
"It is, ironically, true."
"Ironically?"
"Ironic that I require you to believe I speak the truth." sighed Deception.
"The fact is not ridiculous. The tactic, however, is. Strength is blinded by lust but I would have expected more from Battle."
Deception cocked an eyebrow "Explain."
"When one of people dies they return to the side of their lord or, in this case, lady. It is pointless to kidnap another lord for a rescue attempt it simple."
"Kill members of her court and they will return to her side."
"Precisely."
"I will order my assassins to slay a hundred of her court."
"Make it a thousand. No, wait, let us send a message. Have her entire court slain. The Court of Mercy are not warriors, they should be easy to defeat but once they appear beside their Lady they will fight for her and in the chaos we will launch our attack."
Deception nodded his assent. "My court will have as many of the Court of Mercy rounded up and at dawn they will be put to death, you take those of Desire and Blood along with your own and time your assault on the portal to coincide."
Magic smiled "Agreed."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:38 am

Strength and Battle stood either side of a map of the Fey realm, the portal in the centre surrounded by the forces of the Unsealie Court. They occasionally moved intricate carved statues, reminiscent of the Birdstone, each representing Fey forces.
"They will see the capture of Mercy as a great insult," Battle stated calmly "they will probably strike sooner rather than later."
"Without you old friend, they will use the standard 'tactic' of our people. The attacker throws men at the objective in the certain knowledge that though his troops will die, he can just send them back in." Strength smiled, his elongated canines reflecting the candlelight.
"But this time that will not be the case."
"No. This time death will mean...Death."
"For both sides. Our tactics must change."
"As soon as Magic and Deception realise their troops are not returning to them upon death they will call a retreat."
"So we must let them get as close to the portal as we can allow before killing any of them. Their army must be slain in one decisive sweep."
"But how?"
There were raised voices outside and Pride entered, a smile playing across his features, "I have news." he let this hang in the air for several seconds waiting for the others to ask.
"Out with it then?" Strength broke first, barking impatiently at the newcomer.
"Please."
He growled "Please."
"They intend to rescue Lady Mercy."
"And?" Strength growled again.
"They have rounded up much of her court and intend...to put them to death."
"They think she has sided with us?"
"No. They think that by killing them they will appear by her side..."
Strength burst into howls of laughter "Excellent!"
Battle looked up thoughtfully "Then they should not be disappointed." the other pair turned to him questioningly. "Have half of our forces change their appearance so that they seem to be part of Mercy's court. When their army arrives, make it seem as if Mercy's forces have used the element of surprise to get the better of us. The Sealie will believe they are successful and push us back to the portal at which point their allies, the apparent peace-loving Court of Mercy will turn on them. They will be surrounded and they will be destroyed."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:21 am

"Please," she almost whispered "you have to help them."
Strength looked down at the chained, naked woman before him "I have to do nothing."
"Please, I beg you, save them."
"There is nothing I can do Mercy."
"Nothing? That doesn't sound like the Lord of Strength I know." there was a purr to her voice now, she was trying to manipulate him.
"Nothing I wish to do."
"I would be very grateful." the wolf within him was awake, it wanted to chase.
"Mercy, your court is to die at dawn. Their weakness is at an end."
"You could save them."
"Yes."
"Then please, save them." she looked at him pleadingly.
"And if I do?"
She looked down "I will pledge my Court to you."
Strength stayed silent for a moment, "I have no need of your court."
"I am part of my court." she said meekly, looking into his eyes again.
Silence. "Then it is a pact. I will save what I can of your court and they, and you, will become part of my court."
She nodded in silence.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:12 pm

"That woman will be your downfall Strength." hissed Pride
"It's worth it." Strength replied carefully.
"She's that good?"
"Forget her," Battle interrupted "the bigger picture is that her court will join us."
"A court of pacifists." Pride spat.
"Healers. Remember we are mortal now."
Silence. Pride nodded.

It was nearly dawn. The Court of Strength were massed, armed, ready. Thousands of them stood atop an intricate spiral formed of blue and white sand and in the centre stood Strength. Power flowed through the blue spiral, empowering it as a Contingent Glyph of Share Power. As it activated, essence flowed from the Court of Strength into their lord. Strength growled as he felt a pool of essence belonging to thousands under his control and empowered the white spiral as a Contingent Glyph of Mass Teleport. In a swirl of Metamagic they disappeared.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:53 pm

The Court of Mercy: trapped like animals in a pit.
The Court of Deception: surrounding them, prepared to kill them.
The Courts of Magic, Blood and Desire: ready to storm the portal.
The Court of Pride: disguised, invisible as the Court of Mercy.
The Courts of Battle and Loki: defending the portal, ready to break.
The Court of Strength: en route

At dawn the Court of Strength appeared around the court of Deception, the battle was brief and bloody before the Fey Lord of Deception lie dead at Strength's feet and his court broke, fleeing into the Realm. The courts of Strength and Mercy made their way back to the portal.

The Court of Pride, disguised, released their invisibility appearing around Lady Mercy. The courts of Magic, Blood and Desire saw this as their sign to attack and charged the portal defenders. Battle and Loki pulled back towards the portal, the court of Pride still disguised joined with the attackers and pushed the defenders back.

With a swirl of magic, the Court of Strength and the true Court of Mercy arrived. The Court of Pride turned on the Sealie attackers. Confusion.

As the dust settled, the broken forces of the courts of Blood, Magic and Desire retreated into the realm and the Unsealie Courts: Strength, Battle, Pride, Loki and Mercy stood victorious before the portal into Velmaneth. The war was not over but this battle had been a decisive victory for the Unsealie.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Huw

Postby Huw » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:42 pm

"You're an imbecile."
"And you're a moron."

As debates went, it wasn't the most intellectual. But that wasn't what was interesting - it was the people taking part that was worrying. Never before had a Court been so divided.
Two figures faced each other's image, contained in a ritual circle: one in Velmaneth, one in Fae. Both were of the Court of Desire, and for the fifth time the circled they same issue.

"You'd lock us away in Fae, to squabble away as we have done for centuries. Fighting over scraps, whatever we can trick from mortals who blunder in." Said the one in Velmaneth.
"In Fae we are immortal! Do you want to die? Go to this...Hope Wastes?" His counterpart said.
"Not at all. But the risk is worth the reward. To live amongst mortals, be changed by them - have you even been here?"
"No! Don't forget that the old Desire is dead - actually dead - because of his interest in Velmaneth."
"And? He took the risk. He sent us out. He knew the potential of this place."
"You're mad. There's just no way - gah, this is a waste of time." He took a step towards the edge of his circle, to break the contact.
"And you're an imbecile, ruled by fear. Fine. Goodbye."

The Fae in Velmaneth left the circle shaking his head. Well, that was new. He guessed he wasn't a Desire Fey now. Not sure what would happen to the Court with a split down the middle...but maybe change was good.
Ancálimon y Festaer y Helyanwe, Alchemist
Azael Bannon, Telefret High Mage
Fox, Shaman of the Tsimshian

It's only a game.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:55 pm

"We were once of the court of Desire"
"And now?" Pride spoke softly, almost bored.
"We are...without."
"And now?" he repeated, sounding almost bored.
"We wish to leave the realm, to live out there."
"You are welcome...but...we stand here, willing to die to keep this portal open. There are many of you, if you side with us then you could assist others to be free." this time it was Battle.
"We just want to leave. Their world...their desires...they call to us."
"Do you lead these people?" the third Fey Lord, Strength barked.
The Fey nods.
Strength, Battle and Pride briefly turn to each other and exchange nods.
"We name you Lord Loki. Loki will be the court outside the Realm, you will carry our will into the world." Pride spoke again as the power of the court of Loki flowed into the Fey who seemed to shine with the influx.
"I am loyal to the cause of keeping the portal open and I will lead the court of Loki to that end."
"Then we have a pact."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:38 pm

Elsewhere in the realm the Fey lord of Magic stood before the Sealie courts.

"Oblivion chooses to live amongst them. Mercy has joined those who would see the portal remain open. Deception is dead. Desire's court is fractured. Blood...Death...has left our number."

There was murmuring.

"We may not be able to close the portal, not yet, the pact that opened it is still in existence as long as Strength and Mercy live. However, we can seal every other route."

The murmuring grew, approving this time. There was a voice from the crowd. "How?"

"The old fashioned way, a pact."

"I mean no disrespect Lord Magic but who would we make a pact like that with?"

Magic smiled. "It must be with someone from the other side of course. It must be between someone from the Fey realm and someone from there as it affects both realms."

Disapproving mumbling this time:
"We don't want them here!"
"That's the whole point of sealing the portal!"
"They've done enough damage!"

Magic waves for calm.

"Do not worry my friends. I already have a candidate." Magic waves a pattern in the air and a figure appears...

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:44 pm

More muttering, murmuring and mumbling and magic continued about the hubbub.

"This is Reuben. He was stranded here as a child and lived most of his life here. He sacrificed his soul but unfortunately it could not be contained and it began to corrupt our world...that is until Oblivion defeated it. However, the pact remains in place and therefore the soul is mine to do with as I wish."

He turns towards the figure.

"Reuben. I am the Fey lord of Magic and you are dead. However, I wish to offer you a pact...I know you dislike them but I think you dislike this place and us more. The pact is this...you agree to us sealing all routes out of this realm other than the portal at Piddling and I will rejoin your soul to your body."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Postby Edd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:34 pm

The figure stares back at Magic, with no emotion showing in his eyes.

"Pacts are bad."

He tilts his head to the side and has a think.

"Powers of meta, reveal to me where you may be found." ((Reveal Magic - sense power 3))

"Powers of light, I call on thee to flow from me and light my thoughts" - As he fires the bolt of light magic straight up into the sky, his expression changes.

"I say, and interesting proposition, despite the derogatory nature of pacts in general. Lets see.... powers of light that are mine to command, open my eyes to what tries to be hidden from me." ((Detect Lie))

"Would this include, perchance, teleporting out of the Fey Realm? Also, where would you be giving me my soul? In the Hopewastes? Or am I coming back to this jolly world of Valmeneth? One thing I do remember about pacts is that the details are important. And no, that doesn't mean they can't have children."

He smiles at Magic with probably too much enthusiasm for his current situation.
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Lord Magic, and the majority of the Fey, glow slightly purple. Sense power reveals that Magic is closer to full essence than half, that he has access to all magic other than life and death but his speciality is meta. He has some active spells but nothing shadow based (assuming he is looking for some way he might be concealing his thoughts).

"Cats and dogs are the same thing. I would intend for the pact to include teleporting into or out of the realm. The only way in or out will be the portal at Piddling and we will attempt to close that soon. There has been no benefit to most of our people since we created permanent links to your world and we" he gestures to the scores of Fey around him "are willing to fight and, apparently, die in order that our realm is once more protected from yours."

He smiles, Reuben is aware that other than the cats and dogs comment, none of what he said appeared to be a lie.

"As for your soul?" he removes a small crystal from his robes. "Here it is, Oblivion broke its power in the realm but did not lift the pact we made. Therefore it is mine. It appears that you have been split into 3, your soul that I have, your mind" he waves his hand towards Reuben "is within what your people call the Hope Wastes. Your body lies decaying within your world. I will rejoin your mind and body and give you the crystal with your soul in it but it will be your responsibility to look after it and work out a way to absorb it once more."

Still no lies but the link with Lord Magic, the Fey realm, the living were getting fainter and fainter and Reuben could barely make him out as if looking through a long tunnel.

"Reuben. Our link with you is getting weaker. Feel free to ask your questions, make your proposals but don't wait too long as I am not sure how long I can maintain this link."

All true. From their side of the link, the Fey watched as the man's figure became less clear.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Edd

Postby Edd » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:08 pm

Reuben shrugs. "Pacts are bad....but friends are good. Hmm. I agree. However, the pact ends once I die again, unless I pass on that crystal (which may or may not contain my soul) to the next keeper of this pact. Which I will endeavour to do, unless your binding of this realm and/or closing of the portal endangers my realm or world."
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Return to “Background and Plot”