Inholé Arena

For important announcements and happenings from across the world

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Inholé Arena

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:49 am

Around the ruins of Ingolé, in the shadow of the mountain, a town had begun to rise from the ruins. It had started with adventurers, salvagers, looters and they’d been joined by scholars, wastrels and religious zealots. Although the population was mainly human, there were some other races peppering the crowds who went about their daily business. The centre of this settlement, built from the ruins of the old city was a large round building: the Coliseum.

In Ingolé’s heyday the Arena had been very popular, a home for gladiatorial combat taken to extremes by enhancing the challenges faced by the gladiators with magic. Now, years later, it had returned and as the sun baked down the denizens of Inholé (a name coined for the settlement surrounding the ruins) filtered through the streets towards the new attraction.

Within the stadium long benches formed a great circle around the arena floor and banked up twenty or so rows to give everyone a good view of whatever entertainment was planned for this new construct. As the seating filled there was an air of anticipation, tension building for the show they have been promised. At the north end of the public seating, a great ornate red box adorned with a giant V stands proud: the royal enclosure reserved for the ruler of Inholé. The arena floor is coated in fine black sand and to the East and West stand two heavy black metal doors allowing access into the arena from some unseen area beneath the stands.

At midday exactly the great black doors swung open without announcement or fanfare and there is a great gasp from the crowd as a dozen armoured men, a blue stripe painted across their chest, pour from one door. From the other a similar amount, this time with a red stripe enter. The fight is short and bloody but after a few minutes four red of the men in red striped armour stand victorious. There is cheering, the men accept the applause before returning to the darkness beneath the stands.

As the door closes, a disembodied voice echoes through the stadium.

“Welcome to The Velodrome, the whole of Velmaneth presented to you within these walls; here we will provide you with the opportunity to bear witness to the races of this world, to their prowess and savagery, their strength and skill. Are the Elves as superior as they think? Are humans more adaptable? Are the beastmen as savage as the beasts they resemble? We have made a generous offer to all the prisoners of Sinya Palurin: they may continue to serve their sentences or they may volunteer to fight. Lose and die. Stand victorious 13 times and walk free. No one is forced to be here, all are volunteers willing to risk their lives for freedom! And entertainment.”

A cheer of approval goes up from the crowd and the doors open again…

The Viscount of Inholé, founder of the Velodrome, stepped away from the large cone designed to amplify the announcer’s voice and retired to watch the show from his private box, red robes flowing behind him.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: Inholé Arena

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:04 am

"Strange." The Viscount bent over the headless body.
The men around him shuffled slightly 'strange' wasn't the reaction they'd had, there had bene gasps, screams and one lad had soiled himself.
The body struggled, flailing, and the men held it down.
"It's not undead?" the red-robed man stood up.
"No my lord. We...tried healing..." the man looked down at the floor, the memory burning in his mind.
"And it worked?"
The man looked pale "It...closed the wound where his he..." he trailed off again.
"Where his head was." the Viscount finished. "I see. What of the head."
"H-h-healing worked on it too. It screamed so we knocked it out then locked it away in one of the cells."
"What of the rest of the losers?"
"W-w-we checked...they're the same. They should be dead but...they just won't die!"
The Viscount drummed his fingers on the hilt of the sword in his belt, the blade hidden from view in its scabbard, "Healing ineffectual?"
"The wounds seal...but..." his mouth kept moving but no words came out.
"Show me."

The Viscount was led to the cells and shown the victims of that day's battles. He spent some time before returning to his office. Those who had died from damage to the chest were paralysed, he could see their eyes moving around but they were unable to move or speak. The ones who had falled to head injuries just shouted and screamed, throwing themselves at walls and the floor and one man who had died by having his soul torn to pieces just lay there, unable to be woken by anything they'd tried.

People weren't dying. Strange.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:06 pm

He believed he was one of the first to return to the ruins of ingolé after it had been destroyed. He had stayed there salvaging any useful items he could, had been there for a while and saw many others join him over the months he had been there. Fern almost couldn't believe how much people had recovered and 'settled' after such a catasrophe but he was glad that they did. He wasn't one much for the brutality of the arena but he was intrigued with the new goings on. Like many others he felt the burst of life magic flow through him but did not understand what had happened, being one with no essence.

He walked around and saw people investigating what was happening with the various 'dead'. Approaching someone who looked vaguely in charge he asked "Hello Sir, could I prehaps provide some of my potions to see if they have any different effects? I have here some healing potions and some that contain magics."
As long as I can't lose, I've already won.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:13 pm

The guards around the arena looked like mercenaries, their armour has been hastily painted black with a red V on the front. While most were helping ensure calm amongst those leaving the coliseum, one was issuing orders to a small group to get the 'bodies' back to the cells. He looked at Fern as if considering the options.

"Sure, feel free to do what you like. Just do it inside, the owner doesn't want people getting alarmed about this." he gestured Fern inside where a dozen bodies lay in various states of injury. Most looked as if they should be dead, a man with an arrow through his head, another with a large burnt crater where his chest should be, one who'd been cut from throat to abdomen and whose internal organs were literally hanging out and several others.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:39 pm

Fern made his way into the cells, carrying a small satchel that contained a few vials, some full with potions of many kinds, some empty. As he walked into the cells to examine the horrors of these 'living dead' he casually asked the guard who directed him, "May I asked, what's with the uniform? Why the big red V?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:44 pm

The man looked down at his armour then back at Fern.

"Guess it stands for Velodrome, that's the name of the Arena. Or Velmaneth that it's named after. Or Viscount, he's the local lord around here."

He shrugged.

"Worn a few uniforms in my life and never questioned it, the Larkant check, the Telerfret shield, don't think they have to mean much as long as they're the same."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Littleben

Postby Littleben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:46 pm

"That's very true and all possible, it's just I met a man a few months ago when I first came back after the destruction. I was wondering where he got to after all this time. Carry on, and thank you for your assistance."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:53 pm

The man nods and begins giving orders to other uniformed men. Something about piling up the wood unusable for building in the middle of the arena.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “Background and Plot”