Noore I'Meles/Rodera

For important announcements and happenings from across the world

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Peter Levy

Noore I'Meles/Rodera

Postby Peter Levy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:50 pm

some little snippets of what Noore I'Meles is like in the new world. (more detail on the orcs to follow)

Noore I’Meles
Since Farrek’s Deliverance –the annihilation of Noore I’Meles- the land has had a while to reform. There are now two distinct regions: the Labyrinths of Noore and the Fields of I’Meles.

The Labyrinths of Noore are what remains of the deepest of the old Orc tunnels and catacombs. They are a vast, intricate, mesmerising network of canyons, caves and chasms. They run from the cliffs at the edge of the Erda Ridge in the north to the edge of the Field of I’Meles in the South West and as far as Gungrol’s Deliverance in the East. At the centre of the Labyrinths is what’s left of the old city of Gutlar. The old city has been preserved, and New Gutlar expanded around it.

The South of the land is the home of the Rodera. The Rodera are ruled over by their Kaliph. The Kaliph is a supreme leader, destined to rule, whose position is beyond question. The Kaliph was born as a reflection of the Rodera; an ideal. Some idolise or even worship the Kaliph as a walking god.
The present Kaliph is called ‘The Shining One’. He walked through the Gate of I’Meles and claimed the crown. He travelled from the Plane of Light. Rodera freely travel between the two planes and have intermarried, with one or two children already born.
In the centre of the Planes is the capital of the land: Ona Ondor. The city is built around the Zeppelin Stone, the piece of Coshwood Isle that Farrek transported the Rodera on. Around the Stone is the ‘Inner Sanctum’. The Inner Sanctum contains the three main institutions: The Academy of Metal, The Academy of Light and The Spire.
The Academy of Metal is concerned with making life easy. This is where Thaumaturgy is taught; the design, construction and control of golems and constructs. Their work aids construction, fortification and agriculture.
The Academy of Light is concerned with magic. While the name may suggest that they’re Light-focused, all types of magic are taught here. Mages and Celebrants of all flavours come together to create new spells and rituals, to scribe scrolls, create charms. It is the magical heart of Noore I’Meles.
The Spire is the centre of government. The Spire itself is a round tower, with an open doorway on each side. One entrance is simply an entrance to the Spire, the other is the Gate of I’Meles, an artefact that can transport the Rodera and their allies anywhere on Velmaneth or the Plane of Light. The Kaliph lives in the Spire, and his Council meet here every week to make decisions about the governance of the land.

There are seven seats on the council. One of these is the Kaliph. The other six are selected by a lottery each Autumn Equinox, from among any who have put their name forward. The council makes decisions by consensus, although final executive power lies with the Kaliph alone. An eighth seat is reserved for an Orc representative. The current council also maintains an honorary seat for a canine beastkin from the Plane of Light, called Vynrael.

The Academy of Metal trains Mages and Warlocks. Warlocks are those concerned with the interaction of the physical and magical. There are three main schools of Warlockry: Enchanting, Artificing and Thaumaturgy.
Enchanting is the art of binding magic to weapons. Artificing is the art of using magic to enhance the body. Thaumaturgy is the art of creating and empowering magical constructs. Some Warlocks are also trained in Ritual magic.

The Blades
There are two magical weapons that symbolise and empower a leader: one for the Orcs, one for the Rodera. Both are of similar design and of similar power.
The Blade of Noore is the Orc sword. When swung at an opponent it lashes out with a magical blast that spreads across the target’s whole body. If anyone but the destined holder of the sword touches it, they are struck by it in this manner for as long as they maintain contact.
The Blade of I’Meles is the Rodera glaive. Its power is the same as the Blade of Noore, save that the Shining One can occasionally channel Light magic through it. The Blade of I’Meles can be held by anyone, but will lash out at anyone swinging it with the same force it would strike with.

Peter Levy

Re: Noore I'Meles/Rodera

Postby Peter Levy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:13 pm

some more:

Noore I’Meles
The southwest corner of Pargon, bordered by the Erda Ridge to the north and divided from Arak Kar and the Dolen Talath deserts to the east by the great wall, Gungrol’s Deliverance. The land is divided into two regions: The Labyrinths of Noore to the north and the Planes of I’Meles to the south. The two regions are separated by enormous, impassable cliff. There is one safe route between Noore and I’Meles, which is protected by huge ritual enchantments at the ‘Bright City’ of Ona Ondor.

Labyrinths of Noore - The Orcs
The unmappable canyons, caverns and mountains of Noore are a mix of new land and the old tunnels and halls of the Orcs and Goblins. Roughly at its centre is the great city of Manawar, the centre of Orc civilisation. The Labyrinths are full of small settlements, mines, shrines and outposts.

-more here-

Planes of I’Meles - The Rodera
‘Planes’ is something of a misnomer. I’Meles is a mix of rolling hills and woods. It is almost fully bisected by a vast, wide body of water known as the Avaris. The Avaris is an incredibly fertile fishing ground, where seawater from the south mixes with pure water that emanates from the Zeppelin Spring. On the eastern shore of the Avaris is the naval port of Sherden, while the northernmost point is home to the great port of Denyen. Denyen is the 2nd city of I’Meles.

The largest settlement in I’Meles is a series of townships, farmsteads, markets and outposts collectively known as Tyrrhenia. Tyrrhenia makes up the southwest corner of I’Meles and is the real centre of agriculture and viticulture. Its hills are stepped to make best use of space, and its farms are toiled by countless Hyksos pattern magical constructs.

In the northwest corner of I’Meles, on the edge of the cliffs overlooking the Labyrinths of Noore is the mountain-city of Lycia. Lycia is a place of pilgrimage, carved into the hills and cliffs, and is home to many Rodera philosophers, astronomers and priests.

In the east, abutting Gungrol’s Deliverance is the fortress of Danoi. Danoi is where the Khopesh pattern magical constructs that make up the Roderan army are built, trained and maintained.

Ona Ondor
Ona Ondor, the Bright City, lies north of Denyen, on an escarpment stretching slightly further north over the Labyrinths; at the exact centre of the old land of Noore I’Meles. It sits on the Zeppelin Stone, what remains of a piece of Coshwood Isle transported there by Farrek Char to save the Rodera from first the Glooms and then the Soulless. The Zeppelin Stone sits on a shard of the Jewel itself, and is a tremendous source of magical power.
At the centre of Ona Ondor is a great ritual circle. Its power is slightly less than a Well, but significantly more predictable. At its centre is a great six-foot high pillar of diamond, called Doran’s Spire. Doran’s spire is encircled by a moat of pure, magical water, known as the Zeppelin Spring, which flows from here to the sea. The spring bubbles and glows with a magical heat. This The circle constantly blows with a magical breeze spiralling up into the air. The four elements are balanced in this place, and it can be used as a potent powersource.

Ona Ondor is home to the three principal institutions of the Rodera:
The Spire is the government, presided over by the Kaliph, and made up of elected representatives from the other two intitutions, and the other five cities.
The Academy of Light is the centre of magical and philosophical learning.
The Academy of Metal is the centre of practical magic. This academy is responsible for creating, developing and controlling the magical Constructs that are central to Rodera Life.

Constructs outnumber the Rodera by about 3 to 1, and many are intelligent, or even appear to show personalities, but they are not people, and certainly not citizens. Almost all Rodera see them as functional devices, and are very glad to have them around!

There are three broad types, or Patterns of magical construct: Hyksos, Khopesh and Nubian. Hyksos constructs are the most diverse, and are mostly used as tools for agriculture, construction and maintenance. Because they can serve a myriad functions, they can take on many forms. Khopesh pattern constructs are soldiers and guardians. They tend to be constructed from stone and metal, and take an essentially humanoid form. Nubian pattern constructs are those capable of casting magic. Nubians are generally small and never contain metal; it interferes with their casting.
A fourth pattern can be found in Ona Ondor: Stevian. These constructs are a hybrid of Khopesh and Nubian, and each contain a powerful artefact that greatly enhances the magic within them. Stevian pattern constructs are extremely rare; perhaps only a couple of dozen can be maintained by the Warlocks of the Academy of Metal.

Constructs are controlled and maintained through a Rod. The rod is the magical connection for the person controlling the constructs; while it is held, the construct will obey. Sometimes a Warlock will control several Khopesh pattern constructs from a single rod, but if that rod is lost or broken, the constructs will very quickly deteriorate and fail.

Roderan Religion
The Rodera have never been particularly devout. Most consider gods to be symbols and powers, but not entities with personalities. The fact that people describe gods as people is, to the Rodera simply a philosophical tool for picturing a power; to describe the constant flux of powers in Velmaneth as gods making decisions makes the unpredictability of the world slightly more undertsandable. When powers are concentrated in one place, they will appear to manifest as beings simply because that’s what people expect them to be. They do accept, however that people can become gods. When this happens, the person is considered to cease to exist, their very being consumed by the power others call a god.
There are two powers that some Rodera believe are as close to gods (as most would understand them): The Father of All, and The King of What Could Have Been. These are the Creator and the Manipulator, respectively.
The names of gods are generally believed to have power, and often the name of the god will be used in speech to describe a theme. For example, “Yashmanar” is a word often used to describe collective wisdom; “The Yashmanar of the ritual group ensured success”. “Velnashar” is often used to describe a destructive force, while ”Quayle” may be used to describe a campfire. “Asternia” and “Justice” are interchangeable.

An aside: The word “Bright” is consered the highest compliment. For someone to be described as Bright implies more than intelligence or wisdom, and more of a genuine understanding and desire to serve the greater good. Farrek Char is sometimes referred to as ‘Farrek the Bright’, and Vynrael is generally known as ‘The Bright Hound’.

The Rodera are inquisitive by nature, and wish to understand the world. Many of them look to the stars for answers. Astrology is very popular, and a constant source of debate for the Rodera. Many believe the stars represent shards of previous incarnations of Velmaneth. By observing, measuring and pondering the size, position and movements of the stars, clues to what may happen on Velmaneth can be found.
Señor Ref

Return to “Background and Plot”