A new water feature

The new homeland of the Elven people. Formerly The Bastion of Hope, Brockman Isle, The Colourful Isle and (before that) The Sea

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: A new water feature

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Drake slowly waited as the bath filled. He'd already measured it, 6 feet long, 2 and a half feet wide and 2 feet deep. 30 cubic feet of water. When it was full he let it drain through the two inch plug hole, counting slowly as it did so. It took 482 seconds.

Good.

Drake had been excavating beneath the university for some time, searching for something he knew must exist but had been unable to find. It had taken several weeks of digging, tunneling, sensing power and divination but eventually he had located it: the other side of the well dug in Sanga that had formed the Colourful Isle. Or whatever it was called this month.

Clearing away the debris (mostly by teleportation as he hadn't been able to find a shovel) he eventually stood before a hole some three yards in dameter and looked down into the gloom. Down there...somewhere...was the jewel and beyond that Sanga. He picked up a rock and dropped it down the hole and waited, counting. 1357 seconds later the rock slowly exited the hole as if it had been gently thrown back, he caught it just as it began to fall back through the hole.

Presumably eleven and a half minutes ago the rock had been in Sanga before dropping back down the hole again. This was possible. Better get everyone out first.

He gathered together the staff, students and other inhabitants of the university and led them outside. Several large groups teleported away while the most personable spoke to the Elves and assured them they had been working on a solution and were about to attempt to remove the university from their lands. Drake gathered together a few willing volunteers, particularly those whose expertise lay in metamagic and air magic in order to contribute to a ritual.

"Metamagic hear my call, we seek to move this university back to Sinya Palurin where it belongs, a journey of some 3500 miles. It's a long way to walk but no distance for a metamage to teleport and the mere blink of an eye for an air mage. However, the university is neither and I fear it would not survive such an upheaval. If the university could simply be teleported then surely Sylas Sage would have done so rather than put it in a bottle?"

He walks around the circle, positioning people around the well joined by a single rope marked with a series of runes that glowed with power. An old trick he'd used to transport people from the domes to this land so long ago.

"We offer our essence to perform a simple act. We will not attempt a huge spell such as mass teleporting every bell, book and candle from this place. I fear we do not have the power. Instead we pool our power to extend the range and duration of a much simpler spell. Sylas Sage had the right idea with a bottle but we do not have the expertise to perform this again. Besides I believe attempting to perform the same ritual twice is bound for failure. So if not a bottle then what? Quite simply, the contents."

As he reaches the last person, the allows his and their essence to flow opening a ritual using 400 essence.

"Before the laws of magic were as they are today, spells acted differently. Their range, their duration, what they could affect were often very different from how they are today. Very few remember the old magic. Very few. But that's not the same as none. I remember. Once upon a time there was an Air spell and for just two slips of magical energy it could turn a box measuring three feet on each side from one material to another. Forever. Nowadays that same spell works on something perhaps as large as a shield and for only a few minutes. But some of us know the old magic."

He continues to circle the well, drawing power from it into the circle for the first time from the Coshwood Isle side.

"I need to extend this spell to encompass not just nine square feet but over nine THOUSAND square feet. To access the old magic costs me triple what it once did so would require 6,000 essence. We do not have that. However...we don't want the spell to last forever either...a mere fraction of forever would suit our purposes. Since the beginning of time nearly 60,000 days have passed...approximately 86 million minutes. We only need 56 and if we measure 'forever' as being 86 million minutes then we want less than 2 millionths of that time."

The bathtub in this case was 300 times the size of his but the plughole was only 54 times the size. That meant it would take 44 and a half minutes to drain. 56 in total with the time it would take to reach the other side.

"This ritual should therefore cost 4 thousanths of 1 essence to achieve but we feel this would be an insult so offer you 400 essence instead. Powers of Air and Metamagic hear my call. I call thee forth to bind this university as if it were one single item. Every brick, every door, every book, bed, table, chair, bottle, basket, board become one and may the power of this ritual and this well flow into you."

Magic circled the ritualists and flooded out into the university, infusing the entire building with power. Those outside backed away as they had been told to do "get to higher ground as soon as you see the light show" Drake had said.

"Powers of old magic. Powers of Air. Powers of Meta. Powers of Alchemy hear me. I call forth your power to bind this university and transform it to my will. I seek your power for an hour then may it be released, turn this university to water."

He grabbed hold of the rope held by the other ritualists and activated the contingency of Mass Teleport and they disappeared. A moment later, the water came crashing down in a tidal wave as the entire university was transformed in a rushing torrent that began to rush down the well. It travelled faster and faster until it reached maximum velocity then continued until it reached the centre at which point it began to slow. Eleven minutes after the ritual had been complete, a geyser erupted in Sanga. The members of the university who had teleported off some time before had already moved people away from the site of the Emperor's well, far enough away so that they would not be harmed by the arrival of water. There were few buildings anywhere near the well site, everyone had been told to keep away and so there was little damage from the water that erupted in a constant, powerful but relatively gentle flow. The crater around the Well began to fill until eventually it leaked over the sides and began to pour and then, some 45 minutes after it began, the water stopped and began to flow back down the well. Then suddenly, the water shot up into the air, reforming exactly as it had been on Coshwood Isle and before that in Ingolé: a massive ornate building: the University. Within the building every item returned to its original form, not a single drop of water remained as it became once more what it had been.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Callum

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm

A few moments after the university turned to water kazrazil appears with a high elf he turns to the elven troops the were going to attack the university

"Who gave you an order to attack"
Kazrazil Coshwood, Fire Elf Fire Master
Squits Carnage, King of the Goblins (DEAD)
Grom/Bubbles, Orc Merc

The Goblins are back :twisted:

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:23 pm

**The Fire Elf bows**

"The King My Lord, some weeks ago. He bade us give the Humans time to vacate and that if they did not, we were to use force to encourage them"

Callum

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:37 pm

"very well your new orders are to accompany me to find a cult hidden on this isle we move north east darvan should be meeting us there call your men we move immediately"

Kazrazil waits for the troops to get in line
Grom/Bubbles, Orc Merc

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:46 pm

**The Fire Elf salutes, barks some orders and the Elves fall in line. Either way, there was no University left to look at....**

Callum

Postby Callum » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:53 pm

kazrazil turns to the elf that came with him

"return to erathil and tell him the university is gone and that we are moving to find this false cult"

kazrazil signals for the elven troops to move out
Grom/Bubbles, Orc Merc

Return to “Coshwood Isle”