A Cavern

The new homeland of the Elven people. Formerly The Bastion of Hope, Brockman Isle, The Colourful Isle and (before that) The Sea

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

A Cavern

Postby Luke » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Warryn stomped his way from the university which had displaced Erathil's palace, eager to be back in his grove. The boltab trees were waiting for him, as they always were, standing sentinel. It seemed to Warryn that they were welcoming him home, and when the wind blew right - which to his mind, it rarely did - the saplings seemed to bow. The diamond elf would bow back politely and tip his wide rimmed gardeners hat in their direction. Each tree had been packed with rich and new soil, so much so that were one to study closely they would see that the entire groves base level of dirt had risen by quite a way.

He walked down his garden path, picking up his shield which stood guard over the land. When he reached his modest hut, furnished with a simple bed, desk, chair and chest he carefully opened the door. Pulling out the wooded carved chest he opened it to reveal variety of fine magical leathers and suits of chain and plate. It took him almost twenty minutes to fully adorn himself and when he did he realised he had missed it's familiar weight. Even his contricted movements seemed be just right for him.

With little effort he moved his bed a full 6ft to the side until it was pushed against the wall with the other two pieces of furniture and he began to lower himself into a large hole underneath. It had not been easy digging. The stone here was tough and dry, and more than once he had doubted his resolve, only to remember his purpose and continue.

Climbing down the rock tunnel he clambered through the opening into a semi-spacious underground cavern. He had to send his servant to fetch some candelabras a week past and smuggle them in. As requested the candles were lit which gave the 'room' an eerie luminescence. It was circular, of diameter about 40ft, and a high ceiling decorated with some of the ambitious roots of the boltab trees above. One the ground the symbol of Gerethenax, which matched the one around Warryn's eye was carved into the floor. It was brutish, and far from neat, but practical. Inside the circle were two plinths, only a foot high and large enough for a man to stand. One was empty, the other was populated by a grant stone statue. It was 8ft tall, with wide shoulders and working man's arms. The face was crude like the circle which surrounded it but Warryn thought he had captured the eyes and knowing smile just right. He was not a sculptor, but no living creature could say they know what the God of Earth looks like more than Masonil Warryn Coshwood.

With reverent steps the Diamond Elf walked to the empty plinth and climbed atop, staring opposite towards the effigy of his God. There were 8 paces between them, to match the eight mountains of the holy symbol.

Warryn took a breath - an irritating necessity.

There are no witnesses to this act. No stories shall be told. No songs will be sung. No friends nor enemies will be made.

My brothers, and the grand ritualists of this isle have always had a need of the dramatic. Their rituals have been colourful, bold and ridiculous. I will only say what needs to be said.

The candles cast shadows across the walls and for a moment Warryn truly believed his god was there with him. Smiling out at him from a stone carved mouth.

My Lord Gerethenax, with the knowledge you have gifted to me. The magics of Earth and Stone I would create a ritual. Few would ask your guidance in such matters, but they forget. You MADE magic. You created him and imbued him with the ambition he now displays. You are the father to the arcane. By the rights I claim as your paladin, and by the lordship you bestowed upon Great and Noble Onlurin I open this ritual circle.

He opened a link to the carved stone symbol around him. He poured out his strength, and then he called upon the latent magics of his shield, the armour of Gerethenax aided also casting its magics into the ritual circle to strengthen it and bind it. The whole process took only a few minutes and when it was done the circle hummed one tone. Over 400 ranks of power seeped into the ground, binding themselves to one another in a mesh which stood stock and still. He had found that most ritual circles rushed with movement and power but this one had no need to exert itself. It was simple and most importantly, stubborn.

Thank you My Lord, and thanks must be made to your son as well for his acceptance of my earthen power.

Warryn got to the point.

I don't need to be a seer to guess the future. Larvelas was smote and was replaced. Eremethal was smote and has been replaced. Velnashar, partly by my own hand, was smote and has been replaced. It is a dangerous time to be a son of Eremine.

While you are mighty, the mightiest, your brothers also had considerable strength. Nothing could stop them from being slain. Even the destroyer was destroyed. But I realised that while the Lords of the Moons were powerful, they did not have the power of their supporters. Not once do I remember a true being of worth and belief make sacrifice to protect their Gods.

The Earth is different, we protect our own. We defend our Lord as he defends the Jewel.

His words echoed off the walls and seemed to be amplified when they hit the ordered magical walls of the ritual circle.

Just as you have faith in me, your most leal servant, I have faith in your people and your followers. With the power bound in this circle I ask for more.

I ask that every creature that has ever been aligned to Earth, the elves, the beastkin, the swamp dwelling Shirakans, the Dragonkin of Earth, the elementals, the field tilling peasants to offer their aid and strength. I ask for power, not as an end to itself but as a means of doing something great. Something Godly.

He stopped talking and waited. And waited. And waited. It was for almost an hour until he finally noticed it. A trickle of power, moving slowly towards the circle. His trained Earth elves had answered his call. The Ritual circle swelled, each tiny piece of power, be it essence, spirit, or the sheer strength of arm and body, attached itself to the latticed network. What started as a slow process was joined by more and more streams of magic. The priests and warriors of Gerethenax, from all over velmaneth were answering his call.

Another hour passed and the beastkin had joined, the willing shirakan too. It was not politics, nor common cause which united them in that moment. But sheer devotion and thanks for a world that could only be maintained by the creature represented with that wry stone smile, and simple eyes.

Another hour. It was ready - a simple thing, just a wall really, but in it held all of Warryn's hopes.

The power of Velmaneth and your faithful stands here aligned, an army of belief. With it I ask you only one thing.

Should you fall, should be slain or smote. I would die in your place.

May stone be your shield, and earth your armour.

He began to shape the magic, from his favourite shape of the eight pointed star, to his next favourite. It matched the one on his arm. It matched that of every fine warrior in velmaneth. A shape meant to save lives, to turn swords and snap spears.

Warryn made a diamond shield. And put it on the statue.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Plot Bot

Re: A Cavern

Postby Plot Bot » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:42 pm

111 days had passed.

From the cavern beneath Warryn's chambers came movement and the statue of the lord of earth moved, stepping from his platform.

As two tonnes of stone moved, a vibration passed through the earth and Gerethenax knew that his most loyal warrior would be aware of his presence.

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:14 pm

A much smaller stomping followed as the Diamond Elf walked slowly down to his cavern. The boltab trees were doing well but autumn was not a season for growing.

He stopped at the entrance of the cave. Fell to his knees at the representation of his god, and then raised his eyes to look at the statue.

Is it time already? Is there danger?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:07 pm

The statue speaks slowly.

"Yes. It has been time for this for over sixteen decades. But I am not in danger."

"It is foretold that the sons of Eremine will fall. This is what I have wanted for the entirety of my existence
."

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:19 pm

...oh. Okay. Do you need me to try and bring one of your brothers down? Most churches are buildings made of stone... I'm sure I can manage that. Or my Brother could defeat their High Priests and Paladins.

Warryn felt like he wasn't grasping his Gods meaning...

Wait... you wanted to fall... but... what would you do then? What about the Earth?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 pm

The avatar understands the confusion and a moment later Warryn is standing on a rocky wasteland, above which six great orbs fill the sky and a swirling mass of shining light hovers between them and from this force comes a woman's voice.

"My son, you exist to bring balance to the world but what gift can you give which will not destroy this balance? For should it be disrupted all of creation will come to an end."

From the red burning orb, a different orb replies "My mother, my creator, I give them free will, the choice to do what they wish with their lives. By the light of my day they shall create more destruction than I could even imagine and it will all be by their own hand."

With this the white energy that had spoken first sank into the blue-green orb. As it disappeared the rest of the orbs, the moons of Velmaneth, seemed to likewise move closer to the distant planet of Velmaneth as they too began to become one with the new world.

"Wait." it was the firey orb once more, "mother wouldn't allow me to become one with this new world and if I can't, nor can you. You stay up here, cut off from life, water, air and earth, floating around this void as I must. Try and I will destroy you."

Warryn couldn't hear the replies, the gods of earth, air, water and life were arguing with Velnashar at the speed of god. A moment later, the discussion was over, only the blue orb of Lavelas moved towards the world and Velnashar, true to his word murdered his brother, shards of broken moon crashing into the newly formed world. Warryn was back in the cave in front of his lord.

"My brother fell. We failed to help him and he cursed us all to fall. Eremethal and Velnashar are dead. Lenamo has fallen from the heavens and so shall I. I will join with the earth as I intended in the beginning. It is where I should be. Too long have I spent in the heavens."

A sphere appears in the statue's hand and he squeezes it, flattening it into a disc which he hands to Warryn. For a split second it weighs a billion tonnes and then the feeling is gone. Looking down, the diamond elf recognises what appears to be a now flattened moon of Gerethenax.

"Plant this in the earth of this island and slowly it will grow like a seed. Over the next few years the only evidence of this is that high tide will be a couple of feet lower every day as this stone expands to the size I held in the heavens. It will increase the size of this land a hundred fold. This is my gift to you for your service, I give you earth to plant and tend, I hope it will bring peace. When it is complete the current island will exist as the tallest point of the tallest mountain on this new continent."
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:24 am

Warryn nodded.

Okay.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:46 pm

The figure nods in return and steps back onto the plinth.
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “Coshwood Isle”