At the end, a beginning...

The homeland of the humans and location of the Telerfret city Ingolé, the Larkant city of Mahtar, the Everni city of Nandine and the ruins of the capital city of Sanga

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: At the end, a beginning...

Postby Ben » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:28 pm

The general slumped slightly as Sorak and Durak leave and listens carefully to Ten Tigers' offer and the counsel of Doran.

"Thank you both for your support and wise words. If it would be acceptable Ten Tigers, I will send those who cannot or do not fight to Serke Kemi the elders and those too young to fight along with the lame and many of our craftsmen and of course warriors to protect our people and train the young. Our craftsmen will hopefully be able to both learn and share their knowledge and send back supplies we need."

Gungrol
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Very acceptable. But I would beware of sending too many old and injured. Her Untouched Grace and her council may see it as an insult to send only the weak. I will send words ahead but you should also. In Serke Kemi, delivering your loved ones to another clan is seen as submitting a hostage. It would be unfortunate if my people saw this as the same.

I hope this can be a fruity and bounty-ish joining.

Ten Tigers grinned and bowed. Maybe these foreigners' strange sayings weren't that hard to learn after all.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:38 pm

The general nods.

"Thank you once more for your wisdom. We would not send any more non-combatants than we could defend, after all we do not know what we will face in Serke Kemi until we are there."

A letter appears in Gungrol's hand which he unfolds and reads before offering it to Doran.

Esteemed General Gungrol,
Due to recent events Haran Harwood is currently unable to talk with you so you've got me instead. I don't know why your troops have left the front line in such numbers but I have all the respect in the world for the Orcish people and want to find out whats wrong. If you can send me details or even better come and talk to me at your earliest convenience, that'd be helpful.

Dellam Kellbeck, Avatar of Mamazumo

"It appears as if our people's displeasure at the humans actions is spreading...although it is obviously not something Harwood is dealing with personally any more."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Jake

Postby Jake » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:38 pm

Doran scanned over the message, face stern. It seemed his Larweyella following kin had begun something bigger than even they had imagined. Was one war not enough? He felt an uncharacteristic surge of fury, hot in the back of his throat. Doran understood the need for war, it served a purpose where no other resolution was possible. But this, this was not about justice, it was war for the sake of the thing. War that a sickening number of his people appeared to support.

He calmed himself, and looked up from the paper. 'It seems that we are dancing on a spear tip, Sir. We may be forced to pick a side in this, or risk broken ties with the Humans and our own. I do not believe that the Orcs that support this 'War' have the numbers or resources to fight a prolonged war against us and the Humans, however many of our nation may be justifiably horrified at a decision to take up arms against their brothers and sisters.'

'I do not know why Dellam is dealing with us rather than Harwood. I have met Dellam, and whilst he seemed a capable soldier of unquestionable faith, he did not strike me as a leader or a diplomat. Might I suggest that you call for an Orc by the name of Grom, or'
Doran seemed to deflate visibly, 'Bubbles.'

'He is a little out of touch with our society, but he knows much of human society and is well acquainted with Dellam. Perhaps you may also garner reports from those who defected from the front lines? Mayhap many are illinformed about proceedings, and wish to atone their actions.'

Doran stiffened a little and stood tall. A subtle shift from counseller to subordinate.

'I understand that this is a difficult and sensitive situation General, and I am a loyal servant to the Orc nation in times of peace and war.' He paused, hesitant, 'However I would respectfully ask your leave to travel to Noore I'Meles. In Little Piddling, I shared a drink with a Roderran named Lorax One-Eye. He told me of the efforts they are making to rebuild. I would like to go there, and share what I know of the earth and how to shape it.'

'It would also be an oppurtunity to see that our needs and desires for our home are protected.
' He regarded the General earnestly, and bowed his head in deference.
Doran Onatah - Orc celebrant of Gerethenax
Duvall - Sellsword and wanderer

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:22 am

**A small unit of human soldiers approaches the camp. At their front is a man who is recognisable as Harwood. At a respectable distance they stop and wait to be approached.**

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 pm

General Gungrol sends a squad to show Harwood and his men into the camp, the men are taken into the mess while Harwood and any guards he wishes are taken to Gungrol's private quarters.

"Haran, it is an honour."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:01 pm

**Harwood smiles and nods deeply**

"General, it is good that I have found you. You must forgive me for not coming to address this matter sooner, I have had some rather... unfortunate incidents with teleporting recently."

**The human steps forward and extends his hand in a gesture of friendship**

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:59 pm

The general reaches out, grabbing Harwood's wrist rather than his hand: the shake of a warrior.

"It is I who should ask forgiveness for it is my men who have deserted their position, I should have traveled to you but the journey is long and I have little truck with teleporting myself."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:51 am

**The Haran sighs deeply, a mixture of frustration and worry passing his face**

"Indeed, it is of course that which I have come to speak with you about. I understand a couple of your boys had issue with a matter of military discipline on a recent mission, and as a result seek war? As I understand it, the soldier in question attempted to murder another soldier in a rage fuelled bout of misunderstanding. When challenged the following morning, neither he or anyone else put forward any defence and as such an execution was carried out? A couple other soliders took badly to this and saw fit to murder in cold blood the entire unit except the original victim who, being without essence, was not harmed by the device. These two, and the original culprit are followers of Larweyella and have fled into the wilds where they are attempting to further incite war by stirring up some imaginary prejudice held by the humans against the Orc peoples."

**Harwood sighs again, catching his breath as he does so**

"Is this your understanding also? Because frankly, it strikes me that this whole situation is rooted in a couple of followers of Larweyella looking for any excuse they can to start a war... as if we needed more..."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:46 am

The general nods

"Yes, that sounds correct. I disagree with the execution but if did not justify the retaliation."

The general sighs before continuing.

"During my absence a darkness has grown in my people. It started long ago and has built, it seems that many of my people are giving into their base urges, turning from their honourable nature to something primal within them."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:41 am

**Harwood frowns slightly**

"The decision might have been a bit hasty, but given the situation was, I am told, a fairly intense military mission, I think you and I would have been hard pressed to find a different way forward. Hind sight is a wonderful thing."

**He begins to pace slightly**

"The issue now is this discontent, we need a way to deal with the current situation and I have an idea..."

**He looks Gungrol straight in the eye**

"I would like to offer you the position of General over the southern armies of Sinya Palurin. You will have the power of command, life and death at your discretion over Orc and Human. I want you deeply involved in our councils, looking forward to the rebuilding of this world. I will grant your people lands in Sinya Palurin, for those who wish to reside there as historically many have done."

**He pauses**

"There is no discrimination against Orcs. This is an imaginary situation cooked up out of no where. The situation on the mission would have had the same outcome were the culprit Orc or Human. I will be outlawing the practising of the religion of Larweyella throughout Sinya Palurin and ensuring that those responsible for this disaster, and the murder of a military unit are hunted down and brought to justice.

What do you say?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 am

The General listens and then considers for a few moments before continuing.

"Haran, I was alive when the world was young. No one ruled the people, they rallied them, convinced those of a like mind to follow them. In this way were the tribes of humanity forged and from these humble origins the process of election was formed and rule over the people established. As your earliest rules state, the Haran has absolute authority over his own people and no other. Authority over the people.The Haran never ruled the land, not the Heartlands, not Sinya Palurin. They were places of freedom where all the races of the world could live."

He looked at Harwood carefully for a second.

"It was Erathil who claimed to rule over a land first but still I believe Sinya Palurin remained free, yes you held cities here but the law remained that you ruled people, not land. Do you now claim that Sinya Palurin belongs to humanity? I am not making a claim over it for the Orcs, we have called it home in the past as we have Noore I'Meles but we have never claimed ownership of the land, I merely seek to know who the Haran of the four tribes is."

He stops once more before continuing.

"Do you rule the tribes or do you rule the land? If you rule the tribes you may ban the practice of worshiping Larweyella, or any other deity, throughout humanity though this seems a dangerous idea - the only example of such intolerance I am aware of is your predecessor outlawing the worship of the Celestial Dragon. If, on the other hand, you rule Sinya Palurin then you can ban it within your borders but then you drive the followers of the Goddess of War from your land and what do they do then? They fight."

He sighs deeply.

"I am a man of war as are many of the men under my command. I do not believe in making war for war's sake. I believe that war should be the last resort, that we make war because we cannot make peace and that we only fight until we can establish that peace. A follower of war can be dangerous, they will seek to continue the war for as long as possible and then will seek another but I would rather have them on my side in a time of war than on the enemy's. If their abilities can be harnessed then they should be. We do not need to be fighting on yet another front."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:24 am

**Harwood considers his words, then speaks again, in measured, calm tones**

"I appreciate the sentiment General. But you cannot get away from the idea that the land and their people are difficult if not impossible to separate. The people define the land and the land defines the people, as much as they are their own entities. Like two persons in a relationship, they begin to fit to one another. So no, I do not claim to rule the land, but it is an inescapable fact, not arrogance, that humans are the dominant race by far in Sinya Palurin, and as such define the land as the land also defines our people and how we live. I wish to extend to the Orcs an opportunity to have their own space in that land so that they might be closer and perhaps in time integrate with humanity. Please do not water down an offer of friendship and bonding with technicalities, though granting lands may have been the wrong choice of words. Perhaps a better way of saying it might have been, encouraged to establish a home away from home with a promise of co-operation and aid."

**His tone takes a slight edge and firmness to it**

"Regarding outlawing religion... do we not make it illegal to murder, or to steal? Do we not punish those who do bad things? We are talking about a religion that encourages murder on a grand scale, and I would, if I were a less grounded man, outlaw the religion. But you miss the subtleties of what I seek to outlaw; the practises, which as I understand it refers to the inciting of war. People would be free to offer prayers and worship, but when they go out in the world aiming to bring about more war to this world, they will be stopped, by the people. Perhaps that distinction would need to be made clearer."

**Harwood manages a smile**

"This is why I came to you with these thoughts first. As well as the obvious political gesture, you have always been a person of great insight and wisdom, would I would relish working more closely with"

**He shifts his stance briefly, clearly still weary from past injury**

"A war on another front... of course we do not want that, but in what sort of numbers do you believe her followers to exist? Not more than a few dozen, maybe a hundred at most? That's not how I would see the outcome, but maybe I do not appreciate the situation..."

**He look Gungrol straight in the eye again**

"So, what then say you?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:45 pm

"This is not about technicalities. It is not a philosophical point, it is a practical one. Your predecessor outlawed Shadow Magic...indeed all magic without a license I believe...and applied this to everyone throughout Sinya Palurin. He decided, much as Erathil did with the Heartlands, that he ruled Sinya Palurin not just the people of the four tribes. The question is this, do you rule the halflings, the dwarves, the orcs, the beastmen who make their homes here? If you outlaw something, are they expected to obey? If they do not, then what? Yes, you are the dominant race in Sinya Palurin but how far do you see your reach as extending? Are you ruler of the tribes who elected you or are you ruler of this land?"

He smiles for the first time.

"Perhaps this is something you need to consider before you can answer? Now...Larweyella. I understood your careful wording, ban the practice rather than the religion. You consider that her religion encourages murder on a grand scale. Perhaps. I have fought in many wars, I suppose I have encouraged those beneath me to 'murder' on a grand scale though I have never considered it that way. Have I incited war? Perhaps. Outlawing the worship of Larweyella would certainly be the simplest solution though one I would be wary of, if not then you need to decide what you will outlaw. Outlawing the incitement of war...it sounds difficult to prove. I think you need to be specific about what you do not want people to do and indeed what the punishment for breaking this law is."

He looks thoughtful.

"You are almost certainly right with your assessment. A handful of malcontents, a few dozen perhaps. Not numbers that could not be crushed with an army. However, a handful killed Erathil, a few freed Serke Kemi, a couple of dozen slayed Velnashar. I would never underestimate a group working together towards a common cause."

He stands, reaching out a hand to Harwood.

"I will accept your offer, may orc and man prosper in a brave new world."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:54 am

"I am ruler of the people yes, and by people we mean humans. I believe the numbers of non humans in Sinya Palurin are something in the region of less than one percent. I ask nothing of them, and expect nothing in return, but if they are dwelling in our cities and enjoying our protection, then I expect them to uphold our laws, a very reasonable expectation I might add."

**He frowns**

"Drawing comparisons with the Emperor is not helpful... he had his own, personal and selfish reasons for doing what he did. I am, I believe, making decisions with the best interests of my people, and yes, the rest of the people of this world in mind, for whilst I may not rule them, I still have a feeling of responsibility towards them"

**Harwood reaches out and accepts the hand shake**

"War for the sake of war is entirely different than any other. That is what we are facing, and that is what we will combat. Together"

Return to “Sinya Palurin”