At the end, a beginning...

The homeland of the humans and location of the Telerfret city Ingolé, the Larkant city of Mahtar, the Everni city of Nandine and the ruins of the capital city of Sanga

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: At the end, a beginning...

Postby Ben » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:05 pm

"Your words are very reasonable, however assuming the orcs in question are not dwelling in your cities then they do not have to uphold your laws? They may preach the ways of Larweyella and attempt to incite war as long as they do not do so within the cities?"

Gungrol's voice gets louder, more passionate as he continues.

"Comparisons will be made, if not by us then by the people. They'll compare you with the Emperor, with Erathil, with Uthred, with your father or your grandfather, with Sulves or Rothiko. Hells, they'll compare you to me, to the Emperor of Serke Kemi or to their local elder! Sometimes it will be favourable and sometimes not. You don't want to be compared to the Emperor? Don't be ruler of the four tribes. "

He calms taking a deep breath.

"Haran. Harwood. For good or ill you have been voted the Haran of Larkant, Jehovern, Everni and Telerfret. Thousands of humans, more people than you have ever met, somehow chose you to rule over them. Now you have to decide what you want. Do you want to rule a handful of cities where some sort of law applies but between them is a lawless wilderness or do you want to rule a land where there is one law that applies across it? You may not like the Emperor but he united the four tribes under one ruler, something you have not chosen to undo. He then imposed laws for the land, not just the people. He made the decision that those who lived in Sinya Palurin should follow the laws of Sinya Palurin no matter their other loyalties, no matter their race. You have the men, the power, the might, the will of the people to ensure law throughout this land but you have to believe it's the right thing to do and be able to live with the criticisms, the comparisons."

He looks thoughtful for a moment before retrieving a large tome and leafing through the pages. Each is dated and seems to be a record of events since during the General's absence. Eventually he gets to one dated exaclty a year and one week before.

Code of Laws: The Free Peoples

All trials to be held in public.

Every trial must have a prosecution and defence advocate, however the relevant individuals may speak for themselves if they so choose.

One judge to sit on trial, must not be connected to the prosecution or defence in any way, will decide upon and pass sentence, will maintain order.

Five people to sit on jury, may not have any connection with any other person involved in the trial, both defence and prosecution must agree on all jury members, will decide guilt or innocence after both cases are presented and all evidence examined, for a successful conviction a majority of four votes is needed.

No one with a criminal record may be involved in an official capacity within the court unless acting as an advocate upon their own behalf.

Anyone who disrupts the proceedings of the court can be held with contempt of court and have to spend the next 24 hours in custody and pay a 5 rava fine.

Crime and Punishment: The Free Peoples

I - Murder: The unlawful killing of a sentient being.
Punishment: Your life becomes forfeit. Jail term of a minimum of 2 years.

II - Rape: Assault of a sexual nature.
Punishment: Minimum 10 year jail term, removal of sexual organs.

III - Attempted Murder: Attempting an unlawful killing of a sentient being.
Punishment: Minimum 1 year jail term. Must pay any medical costs of victim.

IV - Theft: Taking property without consent.
Punishment:
First Offence: Fine of twice the value of the stolen item.
Second Offence: Fine of twice the value plus 3 month jail term.
Further Offences: Varying jail term of between 3 months and a year depending on severity of thefts.

V - Assault: Physical attack on a sentient being.
Punishment: Anywhere between a 10 rava fine and a 6 month jail term depending on severity of attack.

VI - Manslaughter: Accidental killing of a sentient being.
Punishment: Ranging from no punishment to 2 years imprisonment, any degree of punishment between these, including fines, is acceptable.

VII - Destruction of Property: including arson.
Punishment: See punishments for theft.

VIII - Treason: Committing an act against the society of the free peoples.
Punishment: Death, then we come to the Hope Wastes and kill you some more.

IX - The raising of Demons and Undead: Self explanatory.
Punishment:
First Offence: Slap on the wrist, 10 rava fine per creature.
Second Offence: Burning at the stake.
Further Offences: See treason.

X - Conspiring to Commit a Crime:
Punishment: Discretionary, based on punishments for actually committing the crime.

XI - Slavery: All forms of slavery, including magical domination.
Punishment: Hard labour, period discretionary based on severity of crime.

XII - Impersonation of a official of the People:
Punishment: Banishment, outlawing.

XIII - Failure to co-operate with Council authority:
Punishment: Dependant on circumstance, entirely discretionary.

XIV - The Handling of Stolen Goods:
Punishment: Dependant on circumstance, ranging from no punishment up to equal to actual theft.

XV - Perverting the Course of Justice:
Punishment: Discretionary, but up to the same as relevant crime, or banishment.

XVI - Assault an any official appointed by the council:
Punishment: Banishment and outlawing. If the assault resulted in an unlawful killing then execution.

Exceptions: The Free Peoples
All Demons and Undead are outside of the law, they are not protected by them in anyway.

Anyone who is outlawed will not be protected by the laws of the state, they have no rights within the eyes of the law. Outlawing can be revoked by performing tasks for the state or wronged party within the trial setting.

Anyone who is banished that returns to the lands of the Free Peoples without being invited back by a member of the council will be executed on site by designated law enforcers.

Jurisdiction
These laws are enforced equally by the Council of the Free Peoples and the Haran, crossing the border will not protect you as upholders of the law will prosecute you equally from all lands.

"I am aware that the Free People as a state no longer exist and do not necessarily agree with all of the punishments listed but the laws are generally sound. Create a council beneath you with representatives of the tribes, the Hopstarved, the Orcs, beastmen even the elves and adopt or adapt these laws. The people, all the people, will see they are represented on the council and even those who rebel against their representative will not be able to argue with such reasonable laws. Who can argue against a law for murder? For slavery? Those who try will be shouted down by the majority."

He slides his finger down the page to number 8.

"And if you change this to committing an act against the society of Sinya Palurin including the incitement of war between Sinya Palurin and its allies or something similar then that will cover our current issues."

Gungrol
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:32 pm

**Harwood takes a deep breath, clearly steadying himself**

"I did not say that comparisons would not be made. I said that they weren't helpful. Which they are not, in this instance. It would be a weak ruler who allowed fear of people's judgements and assumptions about his direction to guide his hand. It does not help us, here and now, for you to make comparisons with the Emperor. I know full well that others do so, often in the least flattering of ways, but I do not let that weigh me down and I hope that between allies and comrades we can leave the gossip and speculation of the world behind."

**He looks thoughtfully at the pages**

"You are absolutely right to present such a document. It needs heavy updating of course, but now that we have some breathing space, it would not be a terrible thing to re-establish clear laws throughout the lands. Perhaps we could work to create an updated version that would be acceptable throughout all the peoples of Noore I Meles and Sinya Palurin, strengthen a unity between the nations.

And I know that such a law would do little to those responsible directly, but we have to anticipate. If Dakron had killed Shade on our watch and then moved to another country, would we have not made murder illegal just because the original culprit was no longer within our reach?"

**Harwood extends his hand again**

"Come General, we agree very much so, let us not get heated over wording. I would very much like to begin the journey of forging a world where all the races can live in harmony, and with us leading the way, setting the example, the rest will surely follow."

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:14 pm

The general shakes his hand.

"I was not around for the Emperor's rule. From reports I have read and stories I have heard since my return I see little issue so comparisons are not meant as any insult or judgement."

He releases the grip.

"My issue with borders and jurisdiction is this...if an Orc kills a Goblin in Sinya Palurin, outside the cities, who has jurisdiction? What if it happens in Gweria? What if a Larkant kills an Orc in Sinya Palurin? What about an elf? My belief is that you need to state who, what and where your authority covers. I believe it best for humanity and for the other races who live here if this authority covers the entirity of Sinya Palurin not just humans and not just the cities."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Plot Bot

Postby Plot Bot » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:57 pm

"I think for such laws to stick we need general agreement from whatever passes as leadership amongst the races to come together so there can be agreement."

**Harwood steps back a bit**

"I will send runners and gather those I can together, and a meeting will be had where we can define these laws and see about the future of this world. In the meantime, let us ensure that these ridiculous notions of Human oppression of the Orc race are squashed wherever we find them and get the unity back that we need to finish taking the fight to the Soulless"

**He smiles gladly**

"How is Noore I Meles managing at the moment?"

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:30 pm

The General nods

"I am unsure of the current situation. Farrek Char advised us of his intention to destroy and rebuild our land using magic...I believe he was successful with his initial plans but I believe he fell in the process, the land is warded from entry or so I am led to believe."

Gungrol

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “Sinya Palurin”