Not your typical dawn hunt

To the North East, birthplace to the undead and home to their great Necropolices

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Erynion

Not your typical dawn hunt

Postby Erynion » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:02 pm

As the sun broke over the horizon, Chase was lying flat on his stomach watching his target. He held his bow in left hand, and with his right he slowly drew an arrow from his quiver. In the grass at the edge of the stream no more than 15 strides in front of Chase stood a bear. It wasn't the biggest bear Chase had hunted, but none the less it was a meal, well 4 or 5 meals and it's fur.

Chase slowly lifted himself to a crouch and notched the arrow to the Bow string, slowly he closed the gap between himself and the bear. He had been careful to approach with the dawn sun on his back to hide his approach. The bear was watching the water, waiting for the unsuspecting fish that was soon to be his breakfast to come close enough. Suddenly the bear slapped his paw into the water knocking a large salmon from it onto the near by rocks.

As the bear reached the fish an arrow flew into the side of him piercing the skin and bringing him down. The bear had died before his body hit the rocks. Chase cautiously approached the bear checking his surroundings for other bears, or worse. He saw the fish still alive slapping around on the rocks. Chase moved quickly and put the fish back into the water. You do not need to die today

The bear lay motionless on the rocks as Chase knelt down next to him. He put his hand on the bears head and closed his eyes.

Raime I thank you for this feast, Thank you for guiding my arrow straight and true and causing this great creature no pain in death. As always I will take what I need and offer up the rest to you.
With that he pulled his arrow out, put it back in his quiver and drew his knife.

1 hour later and the bear had been skinned and the meat cut from the bones. Chase hid the meat and bear pelt in a rabbit hole while he went off to collect fire wood. After 10 minutes he returned to the rocks and built a small fire. After nursing the fire up to a good size he went back and retrieved the meat and the skin. He fashioned a spit out of a few branches and the remains of the bear and started cooking the meat.

While the meat was cooking Chase laid the pelt out and started measuring it and checking to see if he had ripped it when he was tanning it. He hadn't damaged it and he was happy with the size. He started cutting away at the bear skin, then remeasuring, then cutting, then sewing, and eventually he made a fur mantle out of it. Happy with his work, he went back and checked the meat, it was cooking nicely and he like it slow cooked so he turned it and left it cooking.
He tried the mantle on, a perfect fit, thick bear skin and fur was exactly what he needed for the cold nights.

He sat by the fire adding logs to it as the meat finished cooking. He started eating a piece of leg meat, the meat was tasty with a lush smell, the only sound was the morning song of birds and and the trickle of the steam. He had almost finished his last bite when he noticed the river was turning red. The unmistakable red that could only be blood.

He looked up stream and saw 4 undead walking down stream, one holding the remains of a young girl. He fastened his new mantle and put his cowl on. He grabbed his bow and 2 of the 3 remaining pieces of meat into his bag. The third piece of meat he threw onto the fire Raime I thank you again for this feast and for my new clothes that will warm me in the coldest nights. I offer this meat to you and ask for your continued strength and courage you have always given to me.

Chase then made his way up stream keeping low in the long grass as not to be seen by the undead. As when hunting the bear he had the sun behind him to cover his approach. When he found a collapsed tree his pressed his back against it and drew his bow. I know the killing of these creatures bring nothing of use or need to me, but simply leaving them means myself and others could be in danger, and who knows would these creatures have already needlessly killed.

The birds stopped singing, the stream seemed to slow and the wind fell as if nature knew what was about to come.
An arrow struck the first undead between the eyes, then a second arrow hit another undead through the ear, Two down, two to go. A third arrow hit another undead in the side of the head, One left. The last undead spotted Chase by the fallen tree and raised a broken axe and make his way towards him but it was to late, the last arrow hit the undead in the forehead and he joined his friends dead on the ground.

Chase retrieved his 4 arrows and cleaned them in the stream. He looked at the remains of the girl, she was wearing a metal broach, he took it and fastened it to his new mantle.

He whispered Thank you Raime before heading back into the woods.
Erynion - Possessed wood elf - Dead again
Quinn - The jester - Dead
Anthony Landon - How much you paying?
Chase - The hunter - only nice character I seem to have :)

Erynion

Re: Not your typical dawn hunt

Postby Erynion » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Several hours after the incident with the undead Chase was back at his camp. He was aware he was having to travel further and further every day to find a good meal, or any meal for that matter. The bear he killed that morning, he had been tracking for nearly 2 days. The undead had been a problem for so long and now food is becoming scarce, something needs to be done. But before he he could worry about the bigger problems he had to worry about where his next few days worth of food was coming from.

He thought back to earlier that morning and how he had seen the bear patiently waiting for the fish, and the ease in which he caught his prey. He smiled to himself and put his hand on the mantle he made earlier that day with the bears skin. Thank you, you clever creature

Chase immediately set out, he knew how he was going to feed himself. He first stopped off at a small bamboo looking tree, he picked the strongest shoot and aimed his arrow at the base. It cut through the bamboo like a knife through butter. He spent a good bit of time smoothing and trimming the shoot. When he was happy he moved back to where he had killed the undead earlier that morning.

It was mid afternoon by the the time he got back to where he had killed the bear. The fire he made that morning was out but it only took him a few minutes to re-light it, the spit was still exactly as he left it, so he got out one of the remaining pieces of meat and started to warm it. He knew it would take at least 20 minutes to cook so he left it and headed up stream to where the dead bodies of the undead lay. One of the undead was wearing chainmail, ripped and a little rusted but still usable for what he needed. Chase pulled out his knife and started prying the links free. He collected about 10 links and went to look elsewhere, but as he got up he spotted a link that was already broken in a hook shape. He smiled and took the broken link. He then went over to another undead and took the tattered robes off him. He carried everything he collected back to the fire.

When he got back to the fire he turned the meat on the spit and left it warming the other side. He then started taking the threads out of the robes and weaving 3 together so they were stronger. After the had made 7 shortish weaves he started tying the chain links to the bamboo like shoot. The shoot was about 6ft in length and after he had finished tying 5 of the links on, it had started to look like he had envisioned. Chase then made a long weave of threads tying several weaves together until is was about 20 ft long. He fastened one end to the bottom of the wood and fed the other end through all the links and out the end. The hook was tied to the other end of the weave and the fishing rod was nearly finished.

Chase grabbed one of the off cuts from the skinning of the bear and wrapped it round the bottom of the pole to make a handle.

Two more things and I am done. Worms and a float.

The float was easy to make and all that was needed was a stick and a small stone. Chase attached the float about 2ft along from the hook.

Lets be clever about this

Chase grabbed a big leaf from a near by tree and filled it with water from the stream. He took a big drink from it, then refilled it and poured it out onto the soil. He got another 2 leafs worth of water and did the same, then waited, and sure enough up came 3 worms.

I don't need all of you, just one.

He pulled the fattest one out of the soil and stabbed the hook of his rod through the middle of it.
There was a pool a little down stream from where he was so he set his rod up next to it and left the worm and float in it.

By this time the smell of the meat was strong as it had been cooking for a little too long. Chase went back to the meat, put out the fire and sat down next to his new rod and ate the bear meat. He was happy with his afternoons work, but it wouldn't be a successful afternoon until he caught the fish.

An hour passed and nothing had even had a nibble, in fact nothing happened until it started to get dark and Chase started to get ready to head back to camp. Just as he was about to lift his rod out the float disappeared beneath the water. He grabbed the rod and pulled back. He thought of how the bear has scooped the fish out of the water and he did the same. He whipped the rod off to the side and flicked the fish onto the rocks. It was a salmon, a lot smaller than the one the bear had caught, but never the less a meal, and more importantly a new way off getting meals that the undead weren't affecting.

Chase carried the fish back to his camp knowing it would make a good meal for the morning

Erynion

Postby Erynion » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:01 pm

After several days of fishing, trying different techniques, baits and floats, Chase was confident he knew how to catch the best fish. He had also made a crude reel from things he found in an abandoned stables. It meant landing the fish was a lot easier. From his spot he worked out there were 3 types of edible fish and he knew how to catch each one.

Fishing was a peaceful activity and it suited his way of life. He had moved his camp closer to a lake he had found. The river flowed in and out of it so there was a steady supply of fish. He had a small spot hidden amongst some rocks where he could see the bank edges but he was well hidden from everyone else.

Fish was a solid supply of food but Chase knew he would have to hunt for other meat on land. So after his morning fishing where he caught 2 small salmon he packed his rod away and took out this bow. He headed west in the direction of the sun, eyes glued to the ground looking for tracks. Half an hour into the trek he knelt down and moved some leaves, and found some rabbit droppings. He pulled out some string and set a snare trap. He moved a few branches to make it more funnel like to channel the rabbits or other small animals in to the trap, then headed back on his way looking for tracks.

About three miles down the road he stopped. There on the ground were footprints, a mix of deer and ones that looked like human but with toes missing and chunks taken out. Chase readied his bow and kept going down the path. His feet were silent so his approach wouldn't be heard. After another mile he began to relax and put the Bow back on his back and started focusing on tracking again. The only thing he could find were the human like tracks, then he heard a noise ahead and a deer came racing towards him, he grabbed his bow, drew an arrow and shot at the deer as it bounded over a bush. The arrow had hit the deer but only in the neck and didn't kill him. Chase raced over and quick fired an arrow through its heart.
Raime please forgive me for this unclean kill. I did not mean to cause this animal pain in death. As always I ask for your continued strength and courage and thank you for all you provide.

Just as Chase pulled out his knife to start skinning and taking the meat of the bones he heard a kerfuffle coming from the direction the deer ran from. Chase grabbed his bow that he had laid down by deer. He pulled the two arrows from the deer's deceased body and made his way back to where he spotted the deer. He crouched down behind a low bush and peeped over the top. His face dropped when he saw the number of soulless coming his way. He knew he had 12 arrows, so 12 kills at best, but there were at least 30 of them, and while Chase wasn't one to run from a fight, but he wasn't stupid enough to enter one poorly armed and so badly out numbered. Reluctantly he left and headed back to camp. He hated himself for taking the animals life and just leaving it.

When he got back to his camp he lit a fire outside and sat watching river flowing by.
The soulless wander this land as if it's theirs. They don't do anything other than kill
Chase grabbed a rock and launched it into the lake.
But how do we stop them, doesn't matter how many you kill they keep coming

As he pondered the problem the sun started setting over the lake leaving a red sky. Chase noticed how red it was
The sky shows the blood I spilt for no benefit. Raime I offer this salmon to you for the deer I killed.
He tossed the salmon into the fire and sat back watching the landscape change colour as the sun set.

Erynion

Postby Erynion » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 am

Killing undead made you friends, even if you would never talk a person, you kill some undead and save them, you have a friend for life. Well this was what Chase had found in his experience. It was because of something like this that Chase had been able to borrow a horse and cart.

The undead presence had always been a problem in Gweria and Chase had learnt how to avoid them for the most part, but with the increasing numbers he had made a decission to move his camp and find a new place to live, somewhere there were other humans who would be fighting the undead.

He knew the path would be a long tough one, the horse would be worked hard and would have to keep a pace the undead couldnt follow. After he had finished loading the cart he checked his arrows, the feathers were all fine, the shafts straight and the tips razor sharp. He then checked his bow You've never let me down He slipped his knife into the top of his boot and took a deep breath.

Chase jumped on the cart and slapped the mare to get her moving. As the rode off Chase held his bow ready to fire.

Raime I am always in your debt, and I live my life how I feel you would want me to. Please guide my arrows as you always have and ensure a safe passing through these lands.

Safe passage! There was never going to be a safe passage, the best he could hope for is just to make it through regardless of how much fighting there would be if he could make it then may be he could find a land free of these creatures.

Return to “Gweria”