A land of forests and jungles from where the beastmen first came

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Stevie

Damntown: The Founding Story

Postby Stevie » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:36 pm

Damntown: The Founding Story

Day 1 – Year 164, Month 8, Day 3

Dear Journal,
First off I guess I'm sorry for not writing in you enough, I know its been a while but I've been busy. Today is the first of what I hope will be many successful days ahead; Velmaneth seems without immediate threat for the first time in forever. After driving my slide whistle into Leathir’s flank and almost single-handedly saving the world I can finally rest. I took the portal out of Sanga and headed straight for the site of Damntown, to begin my next big task.

The area here is huge; unfortunately it’s almost entirely dense forest. It will take some time to clear enough away for the site of Damntown. I've walked the borders of Damnation and have so far only run into a few mindless undead, which were quickly dealt with. I've drawn a little map of the area just to get my bearings and hope to erect a semi-permanent shelter over the next week. The weather so far is mild, so sleeping under the stars shouldn't be an issue tonight.

I'm a little tired now Journal, so I'm going to catch some sleep. Tomorrow the real work starts.

Stevie

Re: Damntown: The Founding Story

Postby Stevie » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:25 pm

Day 7 – Year 164, Month 8, Day 9

Dear Journal,

FUCK!

It started to rain heavily last night. The temporary shelter I built fell down and I got soaked. I tried to use burning hands to keep myself warm but ended up burning a big old handprint in my shirt... this is a much harder endeavour than I originally thought.

I managed to run across two peasant field workers fleeing from Varya, they said they didn’t know much about building structures but I hired them anyway. I figure it can’t hurt to have some strong hands to split the workload with. We took down a few trees this morning and we have a basic plan for a hut. It should serve as a base camp for a while.

I should do a count of the money Sylas gave me at some point soon so I can accurately budget, I don’t want to be paying Jeff and Otts too much for their work. I already taught them the theme tune and they loved it, Damntown is happening.

Day 10 – Year 164, Month 8, Day 12

Dear Journal,

The hut is up, it seems sturdy enough and keeps out the cold. I’ve sent Otts out to the nearest village to pick up some supplies and see if anyone is looking for a reliable job, I’m hoping he comes back with a few more hands. I’ve staked out the area of Damntown and we’re going to make a start on removing all the trees as soon as we can. There should be more than enough lumber to start construction on a city wall and some other structures.

We need to find a quarry for stone, there’s a mountain range in the South West of Damnation that should suffice but transportation could be difficult. Hopefully I can find a decent sized cart and some animals to pull it along; we’ll probably need a road leading into Damntown. I never thought it would be this much work, I kinda just assumed that word would have travelled fast and that there would be lines of whores and barkeeps ready to set up shop.

Stay strong... if you build it, they will cum. (Heheheheh)

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:48 pm

Day 37 – Year 164, Month 9, Day 8

Dear Journal,

We have quite an operation going here. We’re up to 11 workers! I have 5 working at clearing the site of Damntown of trees; we’re hoping to have the first quarter razed by the end of the month. I have 4 strong hands mining stone and another lovely lady transporting it back to our main worksite by horse and cart. The 11th is on his way, he’s a well respected mason who built quite a lot of Ingolé back in the day. He should be here within the week.

I’ve started mapping out a road, I’d ideally like roads into Damntown from the North, South and West. It doesn’t make sense for people to be robbed of their money before even coming to Damntown so having a safe road is a priority.

It’s getting a little colder now that autumn is here. I think getting a large stone building up should be priority number 1 when the mason gets here, the small tents and lean-tos that the workers have here won’t last the winter.

Day 51 – Year 164, Month 9, Day 22

Dear Journal,

It’s been about 10 days since the mason arrived and my god is he good. He’s already restructured the workers and sped up our process of mining and transportation. The main winter shelter is about 50% done and it should have space for around 20 beds. I’ve had to hire two Everni chaps to gather food for us to last the winter, luckily the woods here were rather untouched so they’ve been able to build up a good stockpile or deer and rabbits that should last.

I have 2 cows and about two dozen chickens coming in the next 2 weeks so we can have eggs and milk through the winter. The first quarter of Damntown has been fully cleared and we can start building on it. Mason the Mason (I know... would you believe it) has already drawn up plans for buildings so we can start staking those out and laying the foundations. He suggested the first buildings to go down should be for simple accommodation, I battled with him long and hard but I eventually agreed. I guess it doesn’t make sense to have bars and brothels if no-one is about to use them.

Below are the plans Mason has drawn up for houses. He thinks we can have the entire quarter finished in 5 months, he’s already sent word back for his apprentice to travel down to lend a hand which should help.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 pm

Day 102 – Year 164, Month 11, Day 12

Dear Journal,

We’re over 100 days into this project and I can tell already there are many more days and nights ahead. I initially thought having a town and being a mayor would be easy... maybe it is if you don’t have to build from scratch.

Some of the residential houses have been fully built and a few of the workers and their families have moved in. This actually works really well as I can deduct the rent from their wages, which means my little pot of money can stretch a little farther. I don’t expect many of the families to stay once Damntown is in full swing but a large number of the un-attached workers will stay for all Damntown has to offer.

We’ve started talking through the designs of the other Quarters; it’s quite handy that the space cleared for Damntown is largely square. The residential area has already been staked out and we’re going to tentatively mark out the other areas just to get a feel for size. The main land entrance into Damntown is going to be from the west, and as you enter you’ll have the Residential Quarter to the south and the Wet Quarter to the north. Wet Quarter for now is referring to the bar/drinking Quarter of Damntown, it sounds slightly better than Liquid Quarter but I appreciate some people might confuse it with the Whoring Quarter, which I am tentatively calling the Sloppy Wet Quarter.

As you continue further into Damntown you’ll have the Gambling Quarter to the south parallel to the Residential Quarter and just above it in the north the Sloppy Wet Quarter. The centre should be free for the biggest fighting pit in all of Velmaneth. I haven’t decided where to put the Mayors Estate... my heart tells me somewhere near the centre but my brain tells me to be tucked away somewhere quiet.

Return to “Arnad Gaurhoth”