What a Scorching Waste

The harsh deserts mainly home to nomadic tribes and the lizardmen of the Shirikan

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

What a Scorching Waste

Postby Luke » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Ishan-Bey had sweaty palms. That wasn’t unusual when living in the Scorching Wastes, a place of sand and sun, but today the source was different.

The young man stood nervously outside the caravan of the Kor Tribes elder. It had sleigh runners instead of wheels to help it cut through the dunes. He knew why he had been summoned, mistakes were punished harshly by the Kor, they had little room or patience for them. Incompetency could lead to loss of life in such harsh conditions.

Ishan-bey knew his creation would be nearby, it never strayed too far. Incredible really, like a child to a parent, or even like a fool to his God it seemed that all creatures were loyal to their ‘creators’. He was musing over how much the Pasha had learned before a sharply dressed woman left the caravan and summoned Ishan inside. The woman gave Ishan a derisive look, he was pale where she was tanned – the result of staying inside to study instead of helping trade.

Inside the elders of the Kor waited. Ishan stood and gave no sign of reverence.

“Ishan-bey Ibn Akatosh Ibn Kor, you have been brought here today to discuss your future.”

“Really it was a mistake, I know, but I think I can fix it! If I can just move the Water angle with the Sun, and then match it with the Sand angle I’m su…”

“Ishan-bey Ibn Akatosh Ibn Kor. You are being send away from the Kor.”

Ishan was shocked.

“For… just for…”

“It has nothing to do with last weeks… transgressions. You will travel to the lands of falling water, and enquire after an ancient being of power, a Djinn. The creatures are dangerous and our ancestors left us little information on how to combat them. You are to investigate, and nothing more. Ishan-bey Ibn Akatosh Ibn Kor, do you understand?”

Ishan nodded dumbly, his mouth wide open. The woman added a leaving line,

“Ishan-bey. Take the Pasha. Someone will need to carry your bags…”

He climbed down from the caravan wide eyed, and dumbfounded. At first he felt mortified to be leaving the sands… but then deep down he realised that this is what he had always wanted, adventure!

With a smile on his face he moved towards his tent, whistling for his Pasha to join.
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Re: What a Scorching Waste

Postby Edd » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:05 pm

A man made of golden sand walks over, Ishan's whistle still ringing in his ears. Dressed in simple desert robes, he has a large bag filled with Ishan's scrolls and tools slung over one shoulder. He carries with him a staff of wood, bound at either end with a metal ring - he still drew the odd stare, not just for being made of sand, but for being made in the shape of a male and carrying a weapon. (The staff he got away with by calling it a walking stick, as many who carry such weapons do.)

"Ishan-Bey, what were the consequences of our actions? Judging by the smile on your face, and the fact neither of your hands have been cut off, I would assume that they have not punished you and have, in fact, offered you an opportunity?"
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:26 pm

I suppose they have in a way. We have to leave the sands for a while, go looking for a Djinn. Some old enemy of our people or some such.
He said it smiling but his tone was serious.
You know... thinking about it, with the right components, and perhaps with the sun at the right angle...
He chuckled at his own maths joke, then traced a shape in the air.
Yeah, then just move the third symbol to...Yep. I bet I could make one. Probably.

Anyway, bags to pack, walks to be having. Though actually that's a stupid idea. Pack the bags, then go stand in the circle. Time to teach you how to teleport. Well for you to learn it, I've never done it so I can't really teach you. I'm rambling. ADVENTURE TIME!
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:36 pm

An hour later and they were ready. Meta magic had been bound to the Pasha and it began chanting arcane words. For some reason it stood with one leg in the air but Ishan-bey didn't really mind.

He stood looking up at the night stars, it was terribly cold actually. He viewed the camp, watched it intently, when he noticed the sand move. It was just a flciker at first, an illusion. But there! By the caravan, a man, rising from the... oh shit.

Zombies and skeletons erupted from the sands, crude rusted weapons in hand. They attacked far faster than Ishan would have thought. Cutting swathes through the men as they feebly tried to defend themselves with magic and tricks. The women fared better, of course. A defence was organised, encircling the camp. In seconds it was clear, however, that the camp would not last.

Ishan began to chant, and he felt power draining from his body, and from his soul. He would fight until he died, this was his family. He wasn't sure what spell he wanted to cast, he wasn't even sure what he was truly up against.

FLASH. BANG.

The Pasha and Ishan WHALLOPed onto the green grassy floor of Sinya Palurin.

Ishan turned to his Pasha, who looked drained.

Wha..? Wha..?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:59 pm

The Pasha just stared back with simple eyes, and began to shake. Sand began to fall to the floor as it's overuse of magic wracked its body. A large cavity appeared in it's chest and then crumbled down to components; stone and sand.

Ishan-Bey looked around. He was alone, in a foreign land infested with undead. So he aimed for the only place he ever wanted to go; the library.

Wherever the wastes that was.

He found his way with some badly worded divination spells, and after paying for a candle sat down and got to work.

Djinn. The Quarin. Curse of Undeath. He even thought about reading 'Gods and Faith' but dismissed it as a children's book.

He had a few questions he wanted answering. He asked the steward for any recent adventuring requests, any names that stood out, or places to go.

It seemed like every time he asked for a specific text the answer was ''Well, before, in Ingolé..."
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Three days passed and he had acquired the scraps of information he thought might be useful.

No history of the Quarin had ever been produced and he seemed increasingly convinced one would be helpful.

An idea formed in the Sorcerer's head, he would need help, and a powerful ritual circle. Luckily there was one nearby!
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Dolen Talath”