In the desert, you don't remember your name...

The harsh deserts mainly home to nomadic tribes and the lizardmen of the Shirikan

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

xochiquetzal

In the desert, you don't remember your name...

Postby xochiquetzal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:06 pm

Toshak finally scales the sand dune, and looks out over the desert at the sun, low in the sky.

When am I going to finally leave this place, see the world that I've heard about for so many years? There is so much to learn, so much to experience...

His thoughts are interrupted by shouting. A desert elf calls out to him. 'Toshak! Come back here, it's time for us to eat.'

'Yes, uncle!' the young elf shouts back, before skipping back down the dune, his drum bouncing at his side.

(OOC, yes this was basically that scene in Star Wars!)
Maximus - Jehovern Celebrant
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

xochiquetzal

Re: In the desert, you don't remember your name...

Postby xochiquetzal » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm

The young light elf stares into the embers of the small cooking fire, his food barely touched. A few elves have got got up, and are ready to dance. 'Toshak!' one of them calls out. 'Start playing that drum of yours, and give us something to dance to!'

'Okay, K'Vell!' Toshak calls back, his meditation disturbed. He gets up, and starts to beat on his drum - slowly at first, but then faster and faster. The other elves make rhythmic movements, and leap and dance around the large tent. The other elves sitting in the tent laugh and drink and sing, and make merry throughout the night.

A few hours later, when his drum beat is no longer needed, Toshak makes his way out of the tent, into the cool night air. He looks up at the stars, and sits down.

Within an hour or so he is joined by another elf, this one a desert elf. 'You know, you'll miss all this when you're gone.'

'I'm sorry?' Toshak asks.

'When you go. You've probably become tired of the same repetitive life, always roving across the desert, always playing the same drum tunes. I don't blame you, either. You've heard so many stories about the lands beyond the desert, and now you want to go and see them. But believe me, you'll miss all of this. The tents, the music, the kinship...'

Toshak nods slowly. 'You're right. I will miss all of this. But I also know that unless I get the chance to see the other lands for myself, then I'll just turn mad!' Then he turns to the desert elf. 'I'll miss all of you. My family, and all of the desert elves too!'

The desert elf smiles, and embraces the light elf. 'Goodbye, Toshak.'

Toshak is about to reply, but tears choke him before he can. He just nods, and then turns his back and walks away into the desert sands, with nothing with him except for his drum and a few throwing knives.
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:20 pm

He had been travelling now for a few days, and Toshak was enjoying the freedom of it all. He could quite easily survive on the occasional bit of fruit found on the cacti, and he sometimes even caught some animals to eat. All in all, he was doing okay.

Within the next few days things were not going so well. Toshak was getting quite thin, and he was thirsty. The cactus fruits contained water, but it wasn't enough. He didn't know what direction he was meant to be going in, either - he was just wandering. It was only the rhythmic beat of his drum that kept him going. For some strange reason, he had formed a strong attachment to the simple instrument, and its regular beat kept him from just collapsing and dying.

It didn't last much longer. Eventually, even the drumbeat couldn't stave off the effects of hunger and thirst, and he succumbed to exhaustion. How long he lies there, he doesn't know. In his dreams he sees his family, gathered around the campfire with the desert elves, singing and drinking and making merry.

However long he lies there, he knows one thing - he will be dead soon, and the vultures will pick his bones clean. Here in the desert, nothing is ever wasted. Between moments of slipping in and out of consciousness, Toshak thinks he can see a shimmering shape, on the horizon, but coming ever closer.

What... what is that...? It looks... it looks like... a person... but it... can't be...

(Enter an NPC? Either Kor tribe or desert elf or Shirakan or whoever else lives here.)
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:23 am

The shape disappears. Just a trick of the scorching heat rising from the dunes. As Toshak sinks back down to the ground his fingers touch something solid under the sand. It was round, and sharp in places. As he pulled it from the ground the sand rushed off it revealing a brass lantern, battered and scratched.

How peculiar...
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 pm

When he feels this new shape, adrenaline kicks in. Although he doesn't exactly leap to his feet, he struggles to at least get his head off the ground. What is this? Some kind of lantern? But for what?

He tries to concentrate on the shape in front of his, but it flickers into and out of focus.

(If I rub it does a genie appear?)
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:08 pm

When Toshak inspects the lantern - a standard candle lit one, cylindrical and with glass panels - he finds nothing special. However, within moments he realises he is not alone. A thin, but tall man with brown curly hair, and pale marked skin stands behind him. He wears robes of the Kor, and has a white ring upon his right hand middle finger. He carries an orb in his left hand, crystalline.

I do not give wishes. He said in an accented tone.

He makes to walk off and when Toshak does not follow the man turns.

Come on Pasha. I can't be late for the room to open now can I?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:12 pm

(ERMAHGERD! ISHAAAAN!)

Toshak looks up at the man, confusion on his face. With a small, rasping voice, he just about manages to ask 'What?' His vision is blurring all the more, and he's not sure if he is hallucinating.
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:49 pm

The room... people will want it to open. But it wont. I'm dead. But not for a while.

He looks at the elf with a frown on his face.

Are you... what's the word... it relates to amenity... no... hungry? THIRSTY! That's the one. It's been such a long time since I've had to... nevermind.

He pauses for a moment and then the orb in his hand glows softly. Water pours out from it, and where it touches the sand a solid rock bowl forms to catch it.

Drink Pasha. Many miles to go. I think...
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:32 am

Toshak drinks from the bowl, slowly at first but then faster and faster, until he splutters and chokes on it. He is not yet strong enough to talk, but he uses his essence to send a mind message to the man.

My name is Toshak. Who is Pasha?
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:26 pm

Pasha is a construct made from... you aren't made of sand are you? How strange.

He stops and look inquisitively at the Light Elf.

It really has been a long time. Sorry. What's your name?

He starts walking again with renewed purpose now, stopping every now and again to get his bearings, despite the barren landscape, destitute of landmarks.

I could always teleport us I suppose, but it's a bit of a rite of passage to leave the desert on foot. At least it was for my people... I think... yours?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:36 pm

Toshak, despite wanting to just use his essence to speak, attempts to talk. His voice is barely audible, and his voice is strained.

'My name, it is Toshak. I am not made of sand, I am flesh and blood. My people are the light elves, they do not come from this place. I lived with desert elves my whole life, they believe that desert should be walked, not skipped. Who, who are you? Are you Kor?'

He musters all of his strength, and tries to rise. Slowly at first, but by his strength of spirit he stands up. A bit wobbly, but he is standing.
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:37 am

Once a Kor, always a Kor. Though they wouldn't recognise me now I think... My name is Ishan-Bey Ibn Akatosh Ibn Kor. A sorcerer of little power.

He stopped and smiled as if remembering something

I am also a Djinn. I do not grant wishes.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:55 am

The young elf's eyes widen upon hearing this. 'Djinn? Really?' Then, after a moment's silence, he talks again. 'Why did you think I was Pasha? Do I look like him? And how did you come to be here?'
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Luke

Postby Luke » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:05 pm

Pasha is not one person. Pasha is a type of thing. Mine was made of sand, for a moment you looked like one.

How did I get here? I was born here. What about you?

Also where are you heading? - I can make sure we leave the desert closest to your destination.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

xochiquetzal

Postby xochiquetzal » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Toshak shakes his head to get rid of the sand in his hair.

'I was born here in the desert, where I have no idea. We move around too much for me to remember it all. As for where I am going, that I do not really know. I just want to leave Dolen Talath, and find the lands outside. I have heard so much about them - Sinya Palurin, Noore I'Meles, Gweria, all of them - and I want to see them for myself. As far as I can remember, I was heading to Sinya Palurin.'

He looks at Ishan, and then asks 'How are you now a Djinn?' He takes another drink from the bowl of water. 'Can that orb of yours create food too?'
Toshak - Light Elf Bard

Return to “Dolen Talath”