The Bastion of Hoopa

Where the dead live on (dead characters only)

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

The Bastion of Hoopa

Postby Ben » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:37 pm

The Hope Wastes, once home to hundreds of thousands of souls was becoming more and more deserted as these souls were summoned back into the world to fuel the army of the Soulless. However, there were still a good number of demons and, for some reason, undead in this shadow of Velmaneth.

He'd had a strange feeling ever since he arrived, as if someone was calling to him and so Katy had travelled to the Hope Wastes equivalent of Gweria. He'd fought his way through the undead not findng a single uncorrupted soul until he finally crossed the narrow causeway into Varya and that was where everything changed for the Varya of the Hope Wastes was much like the Varya of his memory. Here people, or at least their souls, went about their business and a group of uniformed men saluted Sir Katy before bidding him to follow.

Katy was led up to an impressive building that looked as if it had been severly damaged and was still in the process of being rebuilt, inside he was shown into a great hall where, a large man of nearly 7 feet wearing armour and a string of red beads on his wrist. At Katy's entrance, the man smiled.

"Sir Katy, welcome to the Bastion. Originally this place was built by followers of the Goddess Hope, however a couple of years ago it was destroyed by bards who were unable to control their power. With the destruction of our people on Velmaneth, I left the heavens and rejoined them here.

I wanted to thank you for protecting my son."

Varya
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Re: The Bastion of Hoopa

Postby Peter Levy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:33 pm

My Lord,

**Katy kneels.**

I hope I have performed my duty well.
You turned your back on him
Shut up.
Too eager to 'defend' the others
Shut up.
To defend the Vampire, even!
Shut up! Shut UP!

**He takes a couple of deep breaths.**

My apologies. I shall endeavour to keep him in his box. Is Lenton still safe?

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Varya looks concerned at Katy's somewhat-outer inner-struggle

"Lenton is well, either your desire to protect him sent him back to Velmaneth from the realm of Suffering and to balance this act you became possessed...or you suffered by becoming possessed and in balance you were given your desire to protect Lenton. An avian and egg situation."

Varya looks concerned for a moment.

"I seek information about my son. Not Lenton, though he is referred to as a son of Varya, he is in fact my grandson. I seek information on his father, General Xanus, for I do not know what has happened to him. With almost no followers in Velmaneth, I have little influence there...I have become a deity in the Hope Wastes if not of the Hope Wastes and he is not here. Do you know what has become of him? Did he escape my city with Lenton and you?"

Varya

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 pm

**Katy shivers slightly, kicking Mikhail into the back of his mind.**

No, my Lord. Xanus remained in your city when Lenton and I first travelled to Ingolé two years ago. We had little to no contact with home after the Glooms came. A few weeks ago, just before I found myself here, we -Lenton and I- communed with an artefact of Yashmanar...

My Lord...

My Lord, General Xanus is dead.

**He smiles harshly, staring intensely into Varya's eyes. Rapidly, he drops his head, beating Mikhail down with all his will.**

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Varya holds his gaze, slight shine of moisture in his eyes or was that just the light?

"But his soul is not here...either it has been trapped...or summoned."

Varya keeps his eyes on Katy and the knight can no longer feel the demon, as if it is suddenly elsewhere, unable to witness this conversation.

Katy, I have three tasks for you. First you must return to the world, return to Lenton's side, help him to become the leader he must be, help him gather the remnants of our people and rebuild. I gave leave to some of them to join Runebreaker as they were promised freedom from this place, something I was bound by the laws of the gods not to do. Second, find my son, if his soul is trapped then it must be freed if he is the living dead he must be slain. If his soul can be cleansed and sent here rather than beyond I would be much happier. Third, rid yourself of that creature within you. There is a way...though it has its risks. The more demons you kill, the more powerful it will become. When it gathers enough power it will be able to manifest without you, at that point you must slay it before it escapes."

As Varya finishes speaking, Katy feels the demon return once more.

Varya

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm

I understand. It will not be easy, but I swear I shall give all I can to see your will done.

**He rises calmly. There is a slight twitch in his left eye, which briefly turns a deep red.**

Thank you for your guidance, my Lord Varya.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 am

Varya smiles before rising and walking over to Katy. He removes the beads from around his wrist and places them around Katy's neck

"Sir Katy, I do not know how much weight it might hold in the world in these troubled times but I sense that in your internal struggle you may need something to hold on to in the future. Whatever else happens to you, whatever thoughts and feelings enter your mind, be they your own or from another source, always remember that you have the blessing of Protection. I name you Paladin of Varya."

Varya

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm

My Lord... I am honoured.
Big sodding deal.
Shut up.

**Katy clutches the beads, composing himself. He feels the connection between him and the deity before him strengthen. For the first time in... too long, he felt hopeful once more.**

It is a terrible age, when the living are cast into the Wastes, while the dead walk Velmaneth. I shall do all I can to reverse this trend, to protect the people of Velmaneth from further harm, to restore our home. We will claim the land back, and all will know that they can rely on the protection of Varya.

Of course, that is significantly more challenging to achieve while
we... I am here. But I will find a way.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:31 pm

"The Night of the Nearly Living Dead is coming. I will send my assistance, should any person break the wards to return then I will use my influence to ensure you may step through as well."

Varya

Tome of Magic 6.0

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Thank you my Lord.

**Katy looks around the Bastion a little**

In the meantime, is there anything I can do to assist here?

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Katy spends the next few days with the Varyans. They seem...content...happy even, a strange juxtaposition to the rest of the Wastes but why shouldn't they be? They are a whole people, men, women and children carrying on their 'lives' for want of a better word as if nothing has happened. Perhaps, in that way, genocide was kinder: you didn't enter the Wastes alone but alongside your brothers, your friends and family.

In the Hope Wastes, as they had in the world, they had fought against overwelming odds to eke out a little plot of safety. Katy joined them in expeditions out into the wild wastes, clearing out pockets of undead and demons that still existed this far to the north-east. They also found lost souls, several of who had died at sea when the glooms came and had made their way ashore here and took them back to the city of Varya.

It felt as if weeks had passed and Katy almost felt at home when he was summoned before Varya.

"Sir Katy, The Night of the Nearly Living Dead is upon us. The Fey Lord of Death has fallen and Kan Slar has returned to power. Four have found their way out including two demons. You may leave as promised but I charge you with removing those demons from Velmaneth."

As Katy leaves Varya's presence back outside into New Varya he finds dozens, hundreds of the inhabitants lining the square to bid farewell to their Paladin.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Return to “The Hope Wastes”