A new beginning

Don't even go there

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Hatsuo1980

A new beginning

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:13 am

In a flash of Metamagic, the Paladin of Dakron appeared on his new home.

Well, this was a bargin he smirked Time to have a look around

For the next few hours, Ashout roamed this new Island to judge size, inhabitants (especially the non-friendly sort), sustenance and anything that may be of particular interest.
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: A new beginning

Postby Ben » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:29 pm

The island was relatively large, similar perhaps in size to the recently renamed Coshwood Isle. The shore was pleasant enough, the fresh sea air blowing across the sand but the sand rapidly gave way to dense jungle where it became dark and humid.

The ground was a thick mulch of plant residue, rich with fungus and insect life and thick stemmed rubbery plants and trees towered above jostling for space, growing as high as they could to reach air and light while cutting these vital supplies off from smaller and weaker plants which would shrivel and die far below, their remains feeding those that had killed them.

As he pushed on through the undergrowth he found a dead animal, some sort of wild cat. It's eye were rimmed with blood and there was foam at the mouth. Examining it further he found a small puncture mark on its neck, the smell suggesting the presence of venom in the wound.

He was about to move on when he heard a strange sound coming from the cat and watched as tiny jade bodied insects began to pour from the sting mark and swarm away. A moment later, a small purple skinned creature darted past grabbing the body and disappearing into the undergrowth.

Tracking the creature wasn't hard and after a mile or so he entered a glade, a space in the seemingly endless jungle. Small huts were aranged in an oval, both at ground level and in the trees connected by bridges of wood and vine. Through the middle of the oval there was a line of rocks drawn diagonally separating North-West from South-East and in the centre was a raised altar with a strange black and red sphere, perhaps 18 inches in diameter and perfectly smooth.

The hunter, a strange purple-skinned creature somewhere between a halfling and a human in height but with pointed ears poking through its matted hair, approached another of his kind who stood in front of the altar and handed him the corpse. The elder looked at it before tearing it open. Ashout could smell it even from this distance, from the look of it the toxin from the insect had completely liquified the internal organs of the creature. The creature made a strange sound that sounded like "Slas" and suddenly several dozen more of the creatures appeared from the huts and approached the dias. Each was handed the corpse in turn and they would drink the foul-smelling soup, muttering strange words towards the hunter. Eventually they had finished and the elder tipped the bones out of the animal skin before tying it around the young hunter's waist.

There was a collective gasp from the crowd as they looked at the floor. The Elder chattered excitedly and as they moved apart, Ashout could see what they were looking at. The bones had fallen in a pattern identical to that of the village: an oval with a line dissecting it diagonally. As the elder finished talking, the creatures began to chant, louder and louder, faster and faster.

"Na. Na. Na. Na.Na. Na. Na. Na. NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NA! NULLIFY!"
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:05 pm

Ashout continued to watch, thinking to himself The Null Elves? Hmmm, I have only ever met one, Solace, I thought he was the first, the only. What to do, what to do. These people could be very useful to my Lord.

He waited, remaining hidden, using his enhanced senses to study this culture more....
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:16 pm

After a few minutes the Elves settle down and look to the Elder expectantly until he begins to speak.

"The Orb"

He gestured to the ball in the centre and the other elves cooed appreciatively, they had heard this story dozens of times but it was important and deserved respect.

"Rathil made. To use in Dark After. He went Dark After. Orb stayed."

Hushed whispers or were they hisses?

"Stolen. Hidden in darkness."

More hisses came from the crowd.

"Slas came."

A cheer.

"Slas the great. Slas the mighty. Slas the powerful. His magic was stronger. Stronger than Rathil's. He open circle. He use Orb."

Another cheer.

"Orb sank through world. Gathered speed. Through great metal. Through crystal. Gathered power."

Gasps.

"Out! Bringing All from Sea. The Land. The Thorn. Us. The Slas, born of Thorn!"

His audience burst into cheers even louder than before.

Ashout noted that every time the speaker had mentioned this thorn, the audience's attention had wavered behind him to a path that seemed to lead steeply out of the camp although he couldn't see much further as the vegetation quickly grew dense once more.

Skirting around the camp he followed the path which grew steeper and steeper until, once more, the plants just stopped and there before him was a...

...it was hard to put into words. It was a thorn, a couple of hundred feet high. It looked like a smaller version of the Sting of Serke Kemi but instead of a vivid purple crystal this one was made of a dark metal. Ashout recognised it immediately, for a few weeks he'd had some attached to his wrist, it was Pure Shard.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:54 pm

An Island created by the events of Varya and Solace Ashout thought to himself Interesting

Now. Do I approach these savages? Learn more about their culture? Judge their powers? Maybe, bend them to be a new weapon of my lord?

The Paladin thought for a while before blending into the shadows, quietly walking into the middle of their village.

Ashout appeared amongst the Null Elves, loudly speaking to the tribe

Elves of Null, hear my words. My lord, the God Dakron, has sent my here as a humble messenger. We know Slas, we have met Slas, the Great Elf of Null who made this Island, made your home. Slas is dead, killed by the evil got Eramathal. Ashout sighed But I, using the power my Lord has given me, can help you bring him back from the dead.

Ashout attuned his sense of hearing and was ready to move, in case this didn't pan out the way he anticipated....

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:12 pm

There was a parting, people backing away from the new arrival and lots of excited chattering. The Elder, however, stepped forward to address the new arrival.

"Faceless one tell of Gods. Of Meena and her sons, Shar and Thal, Nax and Las and of the Gods who came after. Da Kron brings death, not life."

He sniffs the air.

"You have The Sense. Faceless one tell he is only one with The Sense we can trust. He take shards of Thorn to fight others with The Sense."

The crowd seems unhappy with this revelation.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:55 pm

Ashout doesn't seem entirely shocked by the revelation

You are wrong about my Lord, Dakron. He only brings death to those who have deserved it. My Lord has granted me a power and asked me to travel to the place. I believe he knew of you here and wanted me to give you this chance, to bring back the one you worship.

He looks at all those in the crowd, pointing at random people as he speaks

Do any of you want the chance, to bring back Slas, or Solace as I know him? Do you want this one to stop that happening? Some of us with "the sense" are bad people, some of us want to help you. If you want Slas back, step up and speak. My lords will can make this happen.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 pm

The Elder motions for quiet.

"The Slas not fools. We have The Sense. The Faceless One want what we have so we trade. You offer what we want. What you want from Slas?"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:29 am

Ashout smiled

No one here is treating you as a fool. I would ask for several things of you. Information being one. Another being a small amount of help in bringing your Solace back. Some helping building and establishing my home on the isle would be appreciated.

he paused

And the last, to return the favour. A life for a life. I will give you a life back and, in the future, you will take a life for me.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:47 pm

The elder picks up a stick and motions for Ashout to follow him into the largest of the huts. Inside is a large room with corridors leading off, presumably to the adjoining huts. He leads Ashout through a maze of corridors until eventually they are outside again, standing in a glade hacked from undergrowth so thick that the only way into the glade was via the system of huts.

The elder speaks as they walk, "We know of Slas. He who use Orb leave part of self within. From Slas come The Slas. You and Slas call him back from Dark After Slas kill for you. Who? Why?"

In the glade there are small outhouses and in the middle, a forge. Beside the forge is the statue of a man, made from metal, though several parts of the figure have been removed.

The Elder gestures to the remains of the golem, "Payment. We trade metal from The Thorn for man made of metal. Same weight. Here we make for Faceless One."

He picks up an earthen mould from beside the forge and opens it to reveal the design of several Pure Heart amulets carved into the terracotta, "Make many."

Looking round there are other moulds, for manacles and chains and even daggers. The Elder picks up a dagger carefully, non-threateningly.

"Add sand to Thorn metal. Make knife break. Faceless One want it to break." he stabs the anvil with the dagger and it breaks like glass, the shards falling to the ground.

"Slas add Man metal to Thorn. Make knife never break." he drew his own dagger and performed the same action but this time it stuck, the point half an inch into the metal anvil.

"We help you make home. What knowledge you seek?"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:19 am

Ashout smiles No no no wise Elder. I will happily bring Slas back before you kill for me. I do not know who yet or when but, at some point, I will need you to pay a debt. The why is simple - some people bring unwanted attention upon themselves and anger the wrong people. My people are then paid to remove them. It is that simple.

He looks at the Golem You shouldn't trade or help the Senseless. They hate those with the sense. Once they kill all with the sense in society, they will turn to you next. I can help make the same trades with people who wish you no harm, for a small few, of course.

Simple things is all I wish to know. How you craft with the Thorn. What you can craft. Who you trade with. How you contact them. How much you have given them. All simple things.

Ashout bows slightly Help to build my home on this Island will be greatly appreciated. Once we have finished discussing bringing back Slas, we should talk about cohabiting in this place.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:31 pm

The elder nods.

"Soon after world begin, Faceless One come on ship. He tell us of world. Of Rathil. Of Slas. He want Thorn metal to fight those with The Sense. We not let him have from Thorn but he can have from rocks around Thorn. What he have to trade?"

The elder gestures the body.

"Metal man walk from ship. Faceless One tell us to hurt metal man. Metal man stand there, Slas try but Slas cannot. Faceless One kill metal man. We get rocks from Thorn. Get metal from rocks. Trade same weight Thorn for metal man."

The elder picks up a hammer and a chisel from the forge.

"Made from metal man. Use man metal work Thorn metal."

"Faceless One not want to touch metal. Not want to be on ship with metal. He use The Sense to leave. We make many amulets, chains, knives. Half what they trade used. They take rest. Not see since."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:38 pm

Hmmm this is very interesting, Slas Elder. I may have to find out more about this "Faceless One"

Ashout pauses

So, do we have a deal?

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:17 am

"Dead man not Slas. We agree."

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:11 am

A small smile crosses Ashout's face Then a deal we have. I need a couple of things from you to bring back Solace.

I need a clearing in which to perform the ritual, perhaps some where that can see the thorn, it would be somewhat appropriate.

I will also need the remains, fresh or old, of a dead Slas. Solace's body was long destroyed so we need something close to what he was to restore him

Return to “Murder Isle”