A new beginning

Don't even go there

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Re: A new beginning

Postby Ben » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:31 am

The elf nods and leaves the forge via the network of corridors.

“Slas!”

The Elves assemble and the Elder points to several of them as he speaks.

“Clear land near Thorn. Form Sign ten heights wide.”

Then he points to several others.

“You will hunt. A feast for the coming of Slas. Seek the Beasts.”

As the crowd disperses the Elder turns back to Ashout.

“Beasts strong. Fresh Slas body come back.”
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:33 am

Ashout sits down, his legs crossed and begins quietly chanting
............................................................................Image

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

Ashout turns to the Elder

Slas Elder, if you have any magical artifact, weapon or similar around, bring that for the Ritual. We shall nullify it in the name of Slas.
............................................................................Image

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:02 pm

The Elder looks thoughtful

"We not make magic."

He follows the group who are even now making a clearing near the Thorn. He digs around in the earth for a minute before coming up with a small rock which he cleans off. Beneath the mud, it is obviously Pure Shard.

He knocks the metallic rock a few times on a larger rock until the metal cracks and begins to flake off. Beneath the metal is purple crystal that radiates power. Ashout can feel the small piece of the Heart of Eremine lashing out with power but the Null Elf seems unconcerned.

"Thorn surrounds magic. Traps it. You use?"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Ashout grins

Perfect. I will start to perform the ritual shortly.

Ashout disappears

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:16 pm

In a flash of meta magic, the shadowy figure of Ashout returns to the Slas village carrying a satchel.

He makes his way to the open area the Slas had prepared for him. He motions to a couple of the Slas Place the dead body here

Around the dead Slas corpse he marks out a circle, roughly 20' in diameter. You he points to a Slas during the Ritual, I will call you forward. I will need to draw some of your blood.

He pulls down his hood and begins to chant, slowly walking around the circle as he does My Lord Dakron, here my call. Here I stand, your Paladin, the leader of your faith. Here stand the Slas, new to this world, innocent in their knowledge of it, willing to perform a deed in your name in exchange for returning the one they worship. My Lord Dakron, grant me your blessing and grant me your power as I perform this ritual.

I call forth the power of meta magic here now, that magic that is the balance of Null, and open now this circle
(open ritual circle 100)

He stops And so it begins

Ashout steps into the centre of the circle Gods, new and old, here I stand to tell you a tale, the tale of the Slas and how they came to be.

One once walked this world, a messenger of sorts, a gatherer of knowledge, a teller of tales, a Bard. He was a Wood Elf and had the most unoriginal of names, Thorn. This Wood Elf was new to the world of the adventurers, his name not of note to any. He travelled to Serke Kemi, home of those resistant to magic.

He met the Emperor, he partook in tea, faced the most powerful of demons. This lowly Wood Elf even died and bargained for his life with she who controls the Wheel of Life. Some would say this was remarkable and more than some adventurers would do in their whole career. For Thorn, this was just the beginning.

From here he traveled back to the main land. He heard rumours of a great power forming in the North, in Gweria, the lands of the dead. The great city of Varya had called for aid and Thorn, fresh from the events of Serke Kemi, eagerly traveled North, ready to face whatever was there.

Somewhere along his path something happened to Thorn. Whether it was his developing magic skills or his exposure to such powerful magic in the group, he was losing his sanity. For hours he would shout that there was to much magic, that magic needed to be removed. This did not sit well with one Lemrah, devout of Onlurin.

That evening, their group was transported to the Hopewastes, the most dark and vile of places. Here Thorn felt at home, the magic here tainted him less. Maybe it was the lack of life, maybe it was of the Shadow Jewel, no one really knows but what transpired would start a legend.

The next day Thorn entered a ritual circle, what he said or did was unknown but the magic of null flowed from the Shadow Jewel and into the circle and Thorn screamed, his body being ripped apart by raw magical energy. Latent magic power lashed out at any who came close.

Lemrah used the power of the God of Magic, Onlurin, to push into this circle. He foolishly tried to balance the lack of magic but he could not stop that which had started. Thorn, the Wood Elf was no more. Instead, left laying there was a new form. An elf with purple skin, the first of his kind, Thorn was dead but Solace, the Null Elf was born.

Solace, the originator of Nullify, the power of Nullification. Solace, he who stood in front of a God and exclaimed "My magic is stronger". Solace, creator of this Island. Solace, creator of the Null Elves, CREATOR OF THE SLAS.

Ashout paused

These people here, those new to this world, innocent of its ways, ignorant of its history, worshipers of Solace. They, the Slas, wish him back. They will exchange favours, perform deeds in the name of Murder and Deception to bring him back. Their belief and conviction is strong.

And so I, Ashout, Paladin of Dakron, considered among the most powerful of "heroes" in existance, stand here, performing this ritual to bring them back this Solace.

Ashout steps over to his satchel and removes a Chalice, the Chalice of Eremine

This artifact has the power to return life, simply by placing liquid inside it and pouring that into the mouth of the fallen.

Quayle and D'arven performed a ritual to return the Chalice to balance, the Chalice tainted by dark powers and demons. They drank and drank, calling forth magic of all the elements to purge the taint from this holy artifact. With each drink they would shout "TO THE END" but they forgot one. They forgot to bring the power of Null to the Chalice, the power of Solace.

Ashout removes a transparent container from his satchel, the contents as purple as the skin of the Slas. He removes the lid and pours the contents into the Chalice.

Quayle, this ones for you.

He takes a sip, whincing slightly as the potent alcohol is swallowed

Heroes stood before once, oh Lady Eremine, ready to fight for this world you made. They saved your High Priest, purged your temple and purged your Chalice. I stand here now to finish what they started and truly bring balance to this most holy of relics. With this liquid, symbolic of Null, I bring the power of anti-magic here and finish that which was started.

He downs the liquid, and raises the chalice high above his head

TO THE END!!!!

So, a story has been told. The Slas have learned more of their origins, from where they came. Lady Eremine has been appeased and her chalice brought truly to balance. So that leads us to this body here.

Ashout moves to the head of the dead Slas and kneels

You are not Solace but you will be his vessel. The Slas watching here now thank you for your sacrifice and mourn the lose of your soul, as it travels on from the Wastes to stand by Lazar. You will be remembered as the one who brought back Solace to your people, you will be remembered in legend and tale.

He places his hands on the head of the fallen Slas

By my power and the power bound within this circle, I change this corpse laying here. Memories lay deep within, memories of Solace, the Null Elf, walking the Wastes, seeking a way out, a way home, a way to be with his people. I use this power here now to shape this body anew, twist it, turn it, make its shape as that of Solace

In front of the eyes of the Slas, the body contorts and changes, slowly becoming that of a different Slas, one they had not seen before but felt strangely akin to.

Ashout looks to the Slas he spoke to before the ritual began

Slas come forth and the Slas did. Ashout drew a knife from behind his back and offered it to the Slas You are chosen to give part of your lifes blood to return your father to this place. Take this knife and give your blood to this Chalice The Slas cuts into his palm and drips blood into the Chalice of Eremine until it is half full I thank you Ashout motions for the Slas to leave.

Here we have the Life blood of the Slas and with it we shall begin the resurrection of Solace Ashout slowly pours the blood into the mouth of the dead Slas Power of the Chalice, I bind you here. Bring back to this fallen body the soul and the power of the first Null Elf, Solace. Chalice, in this act I use your power on this mortal plane. Your power is not longed for mortal use. Your power will be expelled and sent to its rightful home. The power will return to its rightful owner to do as he wishes. the last drop of blood leaves the the Chalice and its power fades For Dakron to do with as he wishes Ashout strikes the powerless Chalice and it crumbles into dust (Ritual Shatter)

He steps up, walks to his satchel and retrieves one, final item. A small green stone, given to him by Sylas Sage. He places it on the torso of the fallen Slas

And the last but most symbolic of gestures he marks a line from the top right of the circle to the bottom left, now the circle looks like the nullification symbol Here, in the presence of the Thorn, raw Pure Shard I finish this ritual. The steps have been taken, a story told, a purification, a transformation. None of these things truly represent the soul we try to bring back, but this will.

He looks to the stone

Sylas Sage, a man of great power and of great belief in Magic. He loves magic, loves toying with it, playing with it, making rituals, making items. This is the last item he made, a stone with the power to make someone at one with the Earth. The Earth, the woods, something akin to what Solace was in the early. Now, as I end this ritual, I make it something that Solace is now and call to his spirit to return with the only way I know how

As he looks upon the stone, placed directly in the centre of the now Null ritual, he shouts but one word

NULLIFY!!!!!!!!!!!

And with that the power of the circle fades (over to Ben :) )

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:55 pm

As the ritual transpires the Slas cheer and cajole at the appropriate moments, shouting Slas in reply to every mention of their race or of Solace.

The power of the broken chalice surrounds Solace's new body, arcing into the other Slas, into the circle and back again, building up more and more power until, as the ritual circle breaks, the power flies from the circle into the Thorn as if the great metal mountain was a lightning rod.

With a great intake of breath, Solace wakes "MYMAGICISSTRONGER!"

Somewhere else, the gods watch...

"He distinctly said 'The power will return to its rightful owner, for Dakron to do with as he wishes.'It's mine."
The woman looks at him in silence.
"I know you made it but that doesn't make you its rightful owner."
She continues to look at him in silence.
"Or its rightful home."
They continue this one sided argument until there is an interuption.
"It is a magical item, sacrificed in a ritual."
The woman turns to look at the intruder.
"Stay out of this Onlurin."
"How dare you!"
"Her words, not mine."
The woman smiles.
"But I would like to point out this was a ritual about Null not Magic so you don't get the chalice."
"Gentlemen."
Dakron, Eremine and Onlurin turned at the voice.
"It was destroyed. Again. It's mine."
Dakron curled his lip in disgust, he'd been there during the altercation between Quayle and Larweyella.
"You want to test me boy?" Onlurin spat.
"Perhaps, but not today."
"Then the chalice is mine."
"Too late, I already took it."
"What?" this was Dakron again.
"Your follower said, whilst holding the chalice, and I quote 'Quayle, this ones for you'."
"He meant the drink!"
"Tough, my claim predates yours by exactly 147 seconds."
The woman looked at him, her eyes narrowing.
"She's not happy."
"But I am. The joy of balance. I think a contest is in order. The new 13 gates. I will place the chalice behind 13 magical challenges and summon adventurers living and dead to retrieve it. Anyone who dies is dead forever but the winner, should there be one, gets the chalice."
There is a murmer of approval from Dakron who could see the possibilities for lethal competition and from Onlurin who liked such magical challenges. There was a silence of approval from Eremine who just wanted her cup to be used.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Ashout looks down at the now living Solace

Welcome back

And addresses the crowd, loudly speaking

See what has happened here, this is the power of my Lord Dakron and the power of me. Rejoice and feast

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:45 pm

There is a cheer, chants of "Da Kron" interspersed with "Slas" and the occasional "Nullify" and "His magic stronger". Some have formed a crowd around Solace while others are more interested in Ashout the ritualist. The smell of cooking begins to fill the air as torches are lit around the village.

The Elder, whose hand is now bandaged from the blood sacrifice, bows to Ashout before joining the group around Solace.

Tome of Magic 6.0

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:44 am

Ashouts sits down, takes a quill and paper from his bag. He scribes and message before casting a series of spells. Soon after, the paper disappears.

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 am

**The paper reappears! But, this time it is between the first two fingers on the left hand of a rather smug, and pale halfling.**

Paladin of Dakron, I presume?

**He holds out an old, dusty bottle**

Not sure what this is, but I'm sure it's good.

**The smugness disappears, and he looks visibly nervous.**
Señor Ref

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Ashout nods

You are amongst friends here, no need to be hesitant.

He begins walking out of the village

Walk with me, there is much to discuss

The two followers of Dakron leave the village

So, Billy, tell me what you know of your brother, what you think of our Lord and what you plan on doing in the future.

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:14 pm

**Billy adjusts his bag, and ruffles around for whatever fruit he has left.**

Apple? Grapes?

**He takes a bite of his apple, looking out toward the Slas settlement. He raises an eyebrow, then turns back to Ashout.**

Bailey and I were reasonably close when we were young. He always had a slightly more aggressive attitude when our tricks and pranks went awry... I always preferred to run away, he'd lash out. Then he went off to join the adventuring world, we lost contact.

It's our family that suffered for his... way of life. We were totally excommunicated. My fiancee stayed behind with our son and daughters. No idea where my mother, father, or aunt -Bailey's mum- went. I ended up working as a cook for a slightly shady dwarf up on the north coast, where Nauko used to be...

About a year ago, a sort of cult came to the dwarven township. They were daemon-worshipers, following a group called ''Pal Ki'Ar'', the Princes of the Hopewastes. Eventually, the Dwarves decided they should take up arms against these cultists. I got drafted. They handed me a little sword, an showed me a move or two, then sent me on my way...

There were six of us in the first infiltration. Only I walked out. I sat with the Dwarf captain, and planned an attack on the cult. He went for my plan very enthusiastically...It was, of course a trap.

What the hell had he done for me? Nothing. He never paid me; I just took what I needed. The Pal Ki'Ar, they offered more; more knowledge, more security, more power. The infiltration group were surrounded, and they made a stand. I took away their knees.

The cult bound one of their daemons into me. We forged a plan to wipe out the dwarves: I send them in, the Cult surrounds them. It was a roaring success. I left the cult and went to Ingolé. They're possibly still looking for me...

I guess that's really where I fully embraced the art of betrayal.

**He ponders what he just shared... Was that the right thing to say? Too late now, see how he responds...**

I've not done too much murdering, could probably work on that. I think it's important to find the right target. I almost feel guilty for carving up that man in the blue pyjamas... Almost.

As for our Lord, I've felt his presence for as long as I care to remember. A sort of urge. No, not an urge, a guiding force let's say. Since I started paying full attention to this guidance, I think my lot's improved quite considerably. I've only died twice, both times coming back stronger.

There was a time when, if you mentioned the name 'Dakron' in a public place, people would become silent. People feared his followers, his Order. I wonder whether that fear still exists. People used to think there'd be random killings, which there were, but I'm pretty sure the majority is for a purpose. But a reputation is a difficult thing to establish, and I believe ought to be maintained.

And you, sir, have quite the reputation. Word is, there's not a single being that you couldn't eliminate. The world lives with the knowledge that the Paladin of Dakron is out there, able to strike at anyone, anywhere, and there's toss all they can do about it. Some day, I'd like to have that kind of power. Bailey had that sort of reputation, but he was never really in control. Controlling the power, the fear, that is the art of being the figurehead of our faith.

In my humble opinion.

**Aware that he's started babbling, Billy stops talking.**

Hatsuo1980

Postby Hatsuo1980 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Ashout looks at the fruit

No thank you

He turns to Billy

I didn’t know Bailey for a long time but there were some things I did know of him. He was immensely talented, perhaps the most talented to have ever followed Dakron, maybe more talented than even I.

In breaking into Fort Drake and reading the Book of Prophecy, he went mad. This made him the psychotic murderer everyone knew and feared. In our line of work, these things happen, it is something we must all be aware of – every mission has the chance to go wrong.

Pondering the words of the Pal Ki’Ar

Interesting. Are you loyal to these Pal Ki’Ar?

It is important that you are loyal to our Lord. I have no issue with you having allegiances to other people or factions, after all not everyone is as devout as I, but our Lord ALWAYS comes first. This is an important lesson, less you wake up 1 step closer to the Pal Ki’Ar Ashout taps one of his minimum length one handed swords I trust that is clear.

You show promise. The art of betrayal, the act of murder, the way of deception. You may do well. Who knows, you could even be the one to take my place one day.
You I would see go far but first, a test of loyalty and ability, if this is the path you really wish to take.

He pauses
I’m sure it is, otherwise you would have to be very stupid to come here and meet me.

Peter Levy

Postby Peter Levy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:35 pm

The Princes of the Hopewastes want to learn more of the land of the living. No idea what happened to the rest of their cult, but I'm sure I'm a conduit for the Pal Ki'Ar to learn more of Velmaneth. As far as I know, the daemon lives inside me, but I have my own mind. I owe them no particular loyalty...

I see no harm in them learning the way of our lord...

If you wish me to pass a test, name it. You are the voice of Dakron within our world. If you wish it, it is his desire and I will follow.

**Billy stands as tall as he can muster, maintaining eye contact with the Shadow.**

Return to “Murder Isle”