Inside the inn in Pathway

For IC discussion within the fortresses of Pathway

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Blue mage

Inside the inn in Pathway

Postby Blue mage » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:23 pm

The Inn was full of people and travelers of various races and skills. A few people were seated having a quiet meal whilst others were drinking as much alcohol as they possibly could, flaunting money and having a good time with friends. A human wearing Serke-kemian clothing with a notable scar down his left cheek wandered inside, leaving the door open behind him as though expecting others to arrive. Outside, anyone looking could see a human wearing white with a hammer, a feline, another human in furs, and depending on the angle, it was possible to see a human in simple clothing being approached by two undead. Few noticed this from the hustle and bustle of the inside, but those who did found it might help to either drink more to get rid of the though of the undead, or some just thought they had a bit too much.
The human who had wandered inside went over to the bar and ordered some Mead and some Sake, taking the drinks over to an empty table. The usual tables he would have chosen were those in the darker corners, but these were taken and would look suspicious anyway.
Plopping down into a seat, he sipped some of the Sake, placing a katana down beside him, carefully. As he drank, those who passed by him felt a cool breeze from his body and noted hearing an eery howling of wind...
As it turns out, our battle plan is NOT "Synchronized Panicking"

Chaos_dwarf

Re: Inside the inn in Pathway

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:41 pm

As he follows Galatine inside, Marcus explains his analogy in depth.

"Galatine, I'm not comparing you to a vampire! You must understand that it is in their nature to drink blood, to feed, to kill. They see life differently. We are prey; they are our predator. They are not like you and me. You are above them because you have control. And you are not evil. I know that. I think, perhaps, you were taking me too literally."

He sits down at the table, and puts his feet up. "Cheers!" He drinks deep of the mead.
Skarsnik - Undead Goblin Scout - In the Deep
Twenty Anvils - Lotus Clan Artificer - Alive?!

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Galatine hid a laugh.
And when, prey tell, did I suggest that you were comparing me?
He let out a slight giggle, then settled down finally.
Dont worry about it, I was talking about my ideals, not our race. Anyway, Im not too different to a vampire...I, for one, like the taste of blood. You probably never noticed, but whenever I get blood on me, I tend to lick it off. Its just a habit I got from hunting when I was younger. Anyway...Im not evil...but Im not good either. Thats something you have to consider...there are shades of grey, not just black and white. People can change...is that not the basis of Hope itself?
He looked up at Marcus, sipping his drink with curious inquisitive eyes.

Chaos_dwarf

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:41 pm

Reeling a little from the strength of the mead, Marcus puts his feet down and leans forward, placing his elbows on the table and steepling his fingers. He says, "Shades of grey sully a man's soul, Galatine. Yes, men can change. From evil to good, and vice versa. I realise this harsh creed is hard to stomach, but as you are new to the faith, I suggest you embrace this ideal.

Good and evil, Galatine. No shades of grey. You are a good person. Yes, you possess a demon blade, but you did not choose it willingly. Therefore, since you found it and it bound itself to you (or do I mistake my understanding of you bond?), evil was forced upon you. Yet you do good; by your own word you seek to protect, not seek and destroy. A vampire is incapable of such change. It's very nature is evil; it relies on blood to survive, blood of living beings. There is no manner in which you may dress up the drinking of blood in such a manner to be read as good. I would therefore advise you to cease your habit of licking off blood after a battle. It comes too close to the darkness of the vampire.

You can choose to do so, whereas a vampire cannot; it is compelled to drink. Therein lies the distinction between you and a vampire - the ability to deny one's baser nature. Sooner or later a vampire will kill; it is in it's blood. You have no such compulsion; you are purer than that.

Consider this well, my young friend. I mean you no disrespect, I am just trying to guide you as best I may."

He drinks again of the mead.

"But come, enough talk of morals. Let us discuss how to free Aquilla from the Hopewastes. Have you any idea of how to do so? Or should we leave this until we can find a library to-morrow?"

He sits back, resting the mead on his stomach.

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:58 pm

The young swordsman seems to understand, but makes a final point:
Oh, theres a grey space. I prefer to be there. Is'nt that what Kar taught us himself? besides...I do good things, so Im tilted towards the light...but I dont do them because you ask me to...I do it because it is right. There is a difference between what is GOOD and what is RIGHT. For example, if there was a choice to be made that others may find hard, if it did not endanger the lives of innocents or those living in peace, I would take it, just as i took Despair upon myself. You dont have to LIKE the fact that a grey area exists...just accept it. Its how I live, and how I choose to live. And to correct you, my sword has ALWAYS been with me, it wasn't a matter of choice. My choice is too keep it with me to prevent it from causing harm to others. Enough of this talk...
He poured some more Sake into a cup.
Well, we could always just find a way in through a ritual to take us there, carve our bloody path through to Aquilla and Adreana, make our way back and all would be good again...but nothing is ever that easy is it? I would suggest further research...

Chaos_dwarf

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:15 pm

Marcus looks at Galatine. "Then your life's path rests upon a knife's edge. Stray but a little, and you will fail."

Taking another swig of mead, he pauses, then his expression brightens. "But come, we are two young men in a bar. Let us drink and be merry! For who knows what tomorrow may bring?"

He swigs the mead again. "I for one wish to know more of Kann-Slaar. His strengths and weaknesses, his fears and failings; in essence everything, or anything that might give us an edge."

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Galatine smiled at this, as though relishing the thought.
Your point being? Im a swordsman, Marcus. I've always accepted I can die. I consider myself very fortunate to have lived this long, and have died in the past anyway.
He grinned and sipped the Sake, pouring another cup.
I dont usually drink, so consider your self lucky to see me doing so! Well...lets have some fun before returning to the usual ways of life...
He chuckled to himself.
I dont think many walking God's have weaknesses and I dont think we should consider how to defeat Kanslaar but rather how we should avoid him. Here's something I can tell you:
Kanslaar uses a staff that will kill any that it touches. I have fought staff wielders in the past and, while a staff is not always as dangerous as a sword, they can do damage. A staff also has the advantage of reach and two ends to strike with, making it a good weapon to use against sword wielders if the staff user is talented. I have never got away without harm against such fighters, even if they have little talent. Kanslaar can kill you with but a touch. The last thing we would want to do is even consider fighting him. Instead, why not consider how we might AVOID him, instead?

Galatine's eyes had changed during the speech to a serious darker look, making him appear far older than he was. When he spoke of tactics in combat, he was not a child but a swordsman of great levels...the Kensei.

Chaos_dwarf

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:04 pm

"I wasn't considering fighting him. I was actually considering playing dirty and seeing whether we could find some way to manipulate him."

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:36 pm

The Kensei looked at Marcus as though Marcus had turned into some sort of terrifying demon.
Ok...that...thats a bad idea. He's a walking God who can kill you as soon as look at you and from what I judged, has a short temper. In short: He fucks with you, you DO NOT fuck with HIM! Its sounds simple but...seriously...surely there is another way? Maybe a way to get INTO the Hopewastes and out again with whomever we find...but WITHOUT alerting or pissing off the VERY scary God of the Hopewastes?
Galatine took a big swig of the Sake to try avoiding thinking of the consequences of upsetting Kanslaar...and felt the burning feeling at the back of his throat shortly after, causing him to screw up his face, trying to get rid of the horrible feeling. When it died down, he looked at his elder to hear his thoughts on the subject.

Chaos_dwarf

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:46 pm

"My line of thought was that we need to get in and get out again with Aquilla. As far as I'm aware, only a certain number of people can get in or out. I don't think sacrificing our lives for Aquilla's is what he'd want; therefore we need a bargaining chip or some leverage to make sure we all make it out alive. The question is, what?"

He paused, thinking. Marcus sips his mead. "I know it's a million-to-one chance that it'll work, but million-to-one chances work nine times out of ten. We need more information."

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:54 pm

Taking another (careful) sip from the cup, Galatine nodded.
They say that in the root of all problems lies the answer...or that problems are merely solutions in disguise. Dont they say Bards are connected to the Hopewastes in some way? What about asking a Hopeslayer for a way? They seem to know plenty as they summon up creatures from the wastes. Theres probably a way in...wait a minute...
Galatine paused for a moment, with a look of shock on his face. Shaking it off he says quietly to Marcus:
I have a friend who lived near some way into the Hopewastes...but I havent seen him in a while, and i doubt he would want to show us a way in...
He sighed and pouring another cup, but not drinking it.
The best bet is to ask someone with connections to the Wastes in someway...any thoughts?

Chaos_dwarf

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:39 pm

Marcus splutters over his mead. "You know someone who lived in the hopewastes? What the hell?"

Blue mage

Postby Blue mage » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Galatine shook his head and folded his arms.
Dont treat me like a..never mind...no, I mean he lived apparently near a way into the Wastes...not sure where though, he was never specific...

Chaos_dwarf

Postby Chaos_dwarf » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 pm

"Galatine, I fear that you misunderstand me. I was just surprised you knew someone who willingly lived near the hopewastes."

bedevere

Postby bedevere » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:00 am

*Nathaniel enters, and approaches the bar. Reaching into his bag, he hands over several large bottles that could not possibly have fit inside it. Once some money is handed over in payment, he returns one note for a drink, adds a little something of his own, and begins drinking slowly, next to a window*
So then he goes, YOU SHALL NOT PASS, and I say "I've got WINGS? I can FLY?" It was hilarious! The dwarf was tough, but the elf was delicious and they had some men and these four bite-sized guys, too. The wizard was fuming when I flew off.

Return to “Pathway”