The Shrine of Gerethanax

For IC discussion within the fortresses of Pathway

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Luke

The Shrine of Gerethanax

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:25 am

it was less than an hour after the sun had set upon Pathway. To the north, and slightly off to the side of the road stood 8 stones. Each inscribed with a tenet of the faith of the Earth god. Now the shrine was still, the stones casting no shadows as the darkness swept across the heartlands. For all that could see, though none were present, two figures had instantly emerged in the centre of the circle. The pure magic rushing from the figures and back into the Earth. Both stood completely still, at least for a few moments. Then the larger of the two figures walked towards the other, and carried him out of the circle. The carried did not move, a perfect statue.

Just outside the circle, and facing away from the centre, the statue of Shogo Matsumoto stood. The second figure, Warryn, stared at what was left of his friend. A stone statue of a broken body. Then, in silence, he began work. The elf moved in a strange manner, his low breath chanting the required prayers and words of power as normal, but his legs moved in an arch; his arms swung round forming odd composures that he had seen his friend master. The Earth gave way to the elfs pleas and soon, only a few feet high, rough stone walls rose from the ground; four in total, enfencing the statue in a small clearing next to the shrine. Finally, taking a deep breath the elf stomped his foot, and the statue was lifted up one foot off the ground by the stone beneath it. Without realising the elfs movements had drawn the symbol of his god in the dirt... only slightly larger than his shoulder breadth.

Speaking outloud the Earth elf adressed his lost friend
Well, I guess that ends this part of the story, even you didn't forsee this. It wasn't to some dark creature, or some strange foe, but to one of our own. Some vile traitor. You were better than that, and you deserved more.

The Elf took a breath, his blood rising as he thought about the day

You know, maybe Onyx is right, maybe this is just the fate of this world. These leeches don't deserve the life they are given, they take from the Earth, they steal and rob it blind, and then they stab their friends in the back. They even enjoy it. Maybe they should all be encased in stone, buried under the ground they walk o...

Warryn-san, you know that is not true.

The Earth elf knew the voice of Shogo was in his head, but he couldn't help but look up, and there he was. The Serkanian stood, unmoved by the wind and dressed in the same attire as he was when he had died. Warryn did not need to see to know that if Shogo turned around, there would be deep wounds in his back. It was his friend, the moments before he died. Though the harder he looked and the harder he wished, Warryn knew this was not real.

This is not what I want. This is not how my death should be.

Tears formed in the elf's eyes, he knew his friend was right, but it was so much easier to be angry.

What now? I can't find your killer. I can't find my own quarry. I can't even bring you back.

I will bring myself back Warryn-san. There is nothing that can stop me, I am one of mind, body and soul.

The Elf looked up, but the figure was gone. He looked at the ground for inspiration or strength but instead felt the voice of his friend in the back of his mind.

Do not worry Warryn-san. I have not left you yet

Warryn stared into the dull eyes of the statue, his shield out on the floor. He had forgotten he had it with him. He needed time to think, and space to breathe and for a moment, he was thankful he had both. It was then, in that instant, that he noticed his hands. They formed the crude symbols that Shogo had done before, only poorly practiced imitations, but they helped him to concentrate. Anger, fear, loss and depression rolled over him, overwhelming to someone usually so unused to emotion. His hands stopped. He realised he couldn't move, and when he tried his thoughts came crashing into his mental foreground. The exhaustion hit the elf and there he sat, unable to move, unable to think. He was defeated.

It was days before the elf would move, knelt down staring into the eyes of that statue. As passers by enquired he gave no answer. His skin grew dusty as the layers of rock fell off it. This was the most vulnerable he had been in months. Warryn sat, talking to Shogo, all in the confines of his mind. Reminiscing over past achievements or jokes, apologising for misgreivances, and finally, saying goodbye. The voice would remain, and when his memories were sharp enough Warryn could conjure the image of his friend. Always in the same messy attire, with his grandfathers writing kit.

Then, no more than a week later, at the break of dawn, he stood. Warryn bowed to the statue, and performed some collected forms from his memory, his hands forming the sigils as they had done before. Once he had finished he bowed low, turned to his left and walked to his shrine. Standing in the centre as he had done previously.

That is better Warryn-san, that is better...
Warryn Coshwood - Diamond Elf Paladin of Gerethenax
Ten Tigers - Serkanian Furious Blade
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Re: The Shrine of Gerethanax

Postby Edd » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:13 pm

**A deep rumbling fills the earth. Warryn once again feels the presence of Onyx in his mind, the rumbling in the earth sounding like a deep, dark laughter. The laughter becomes more and more violent, and even the Shield Warden is knocked down to his knees. As the elf struggles to cast his usual protective wardings, he finds his magic slipping out of his grasp...with each prayer to Gerethenax it takes him even longer to reach his essence...

The stones in the shrine around him crack and fracture, some splitting in half, others comming crashing to the ground. As Warryn tries to draw strength from the earth it too feels as if it is slipping away from him...panic starting to rise Warryn hears a familiar soothing voice in his mind...**

"It is time Warryn-san...you must face your destiny...you can do this...you have the str...."

**...before being replaced with a thundering growl...**

"NO! I will not let you use him as a comfort blanket...HE IS NOT REAL...this on the other hand, very much is..."

**The rumbling in the earth has stopped though the pain Warryn feels vibrating through his bones feels like an earthquake through his body. Only after that too stops does Warryn search inside himself to find....

Nothing.

He knows it. His Lord is no longer there...and with his absence Warryn feels the loss of his divine magic. Unable to form a coherant memory of Shogo, and without his Lord's constant comfort, even the earth seems alien to him.

Just as he comes to terms with what has happened, a sudden rip tears the ground beneath him, splitting his shrine in two, down the middle. The thundering voice returns.**

"It is time Warryn. Come and find me."

**The earth magic that strikes him seems to come from the earth itself, and it feels different...wrong, he has time to recognise this before...EARTHSTRIKE EARTHSTRIKE EARTHSTRIKE.

A day later, he awakes to find nothing is different...**
Razorwind - Paladin of Quaos
Doki Rinsei - Sword of Life and Fire
Caspian 'Fledgling' Coshwood - Psycomancer, Erathil's Prodigy
Scorch - Efreeti Null Mage

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Warryn wakes and takes in his surroundings, his shrine lays in ruins, the four large stones cracked and fallen. The Tenets of the Faith unreadable, just words buried in the ground. His vision was blurred and his chest felt heavy, the bruising forming under his armour, which he felt as he ran his fingers over it, was beaten and bashed to uselessness.

Warryn let his head fall back on the ground and then sharply rose to his feet. Alarm taking hold of his features and his body tense. He stood too fast, as pain hit his head and the blurring claimed his eyes. His sight returned and he ran as fast as he could across his shrine. The Earth below his feet gave him no comfort and twice he stumbled, unsure of his footing, crashing into the dirt that he had once called home. However the elf kept going, making his way past 3 of the stones in the ring, taking care to avoid the fissure in the ground. As he raced forward he made a 90 degree turn, skidding sideways spraying earth outwards.
He saw what he had feared. A small podium, surrounded by rocks and boulders, his paddock destroyed. Along the Podium he could just see the words:

SH - GO MA-T--M-T-

Fissures obscuring the letters where the rock was cracked. The statue of Shogo however had gone.
Warryn rushed to the podium, panic gripping his mind and forcing him to keep his eyes open. Behind the podium were a pile of rocks, he recognised them from the walls he had constructed and then, as he stared upon them he saw the light grey tint of his petrification spell. He knelt down and moved the rocks, carefully so as not to break the statue underneath. Piling them up he made short work of it and there lying before him was the complete statue of Shogo. The same as he had always been since the day he had died. His arms making those foreign symbols and his eyes staring forward.

I'm sorry Shogo...

Sorry doesn't cut it.

The voice was Shogo's, but it was the harsh tone Warryn had invoked on Brockman Isle, the tone he took with the Werewolf Demon, the tone he took with the man of blood.

What? You're not him. What did you do to him?

What did I do to him? Isn't it more the question of what you failed to do?

Why are you being like this?

Because you need me to be like this. You need to wake up. Stop relying on everyone else to do what YOU need to do. Have you learned nothing from me? Or are you just a dependant fool who need carrying. You claim you'll protect people, but you've never succeeded!

I don't know what to do... Loph, You, and now my God...tell me wha...

YOU DISHONOUR YOURSELF! You still ask for the answers, you still wait for someone to do what you need to do! Stop relying on others and find yourself. Find enlightenment Warryn, as I strove to do.

Then the voice disappeared, leaving the Elf alone with a pile of rocks. He sat there and thought. People were always taking from the Earth, they robbed it of its riches, they stole its materials and gave nothing back, he couldn't help but draw a comparison to himself; firstly his memories had been taken from him, then his friends and now the comfort of the Earth itself.

He found himself making one final comparison, one he couldn't help but make. In ONE way he was like Onyx, if Warryn had been robbed of himself, his friends and his God, with nothing given in return... he would take them back. One by one.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 pm

**The days and nights pass by without notice, in his state of concentration Warryn does not notice the passage of time, however he does become aware of a presence. For a second it is as if his god has returned, and his with him once more, but then he realises it is not a divine power, it is an old man, sitting opposite him. Over his left eye is a tribal sun, the points spread across his face. He stares at Warryn, his brown eyes unblinking.**

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:54 pm

Warryn doesn't seem startled at the man, his heart sinking as the phantom presence of his god leaves him again. He looks up, used to apparitions these days. When he realises the man is real, he takes note of the Symbol on his face, he speaks in a dull, but sad tone:

If you're here for worship, I'm afraid the Shrine isn't at it's best. Maybe if you return in a month or two it will be in a better state.

He stares back at the ground, sat with his legs crossed, his shield against his back.

Warryn-san don't be rude...

You're back?... My name is Warryn Mason the latter part of his speech directed at the newcomer. Warryn nodded and tried to smile, but his intentions weren't matched by his will.

Only to remind you of who you are...

I guess that's fair... I prefer you like this - Warryn spoke outloud, though quietly and under his breath. He didn't care if the man thought he was insane, these days he probably wouldn't blame him.

Honour yourself, and I will stay this way...

I guess that's fair aswell...

He then spoke louder with more confidence, hiding in his dim witted shell
Can I help you with anything?
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Postby Edd » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:04 pm

**The old man smiles as Warryn talks, gently, kindly, and looks around him as Warryn mentions the Shrine.**

"I have seen the Shrine you built, as I saw your other Shrines on Brockman Isle. I also know your name, as you include it in every prayer, every spell and every devotion. You never met Threan did you? A shame, you and he would have got on well - for you both served me well."

**The old man smiles and sighs, spreading his hands, palms up.**

"I am Gerethenax. Or at least, what Gerethenax has become...."

**Despite the obserdness of this claim, Warryn knows it to be true.**

"Onyx has managed to usurp me. He's strength of purpose, his force of will...he has taken many of my followers, they too now believe as he does. I have little power left, soon he will rise as the Moon God of the Earth, and he will be a vengeful god, an angry god...another Velnashar. Warryn, you have been faithful to me for only a short time, but your strength of faith, your devotion, is beyond anything Onyx could hope to imagine...I have one more task for you, if you will still accept me...?"

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:15 pm

Calm Warryn-san, show respect...

Warryn stands, slowly, leaving his shield on the ground. He straightens out his clothes, brushing the wrongful dirt off his clothes. Then he keeps his eyes pinned to the floor, Haze had taught him not to stare into peoples eyes, he bowed low, Shogo had taught him to do so, and then he stood straight, as Loph had done.

Lord Gerethanax, I'd ask you what it is you wish me to do... but I think you know I'm going to say yes.

He waits, hanging on every word of his... Lord.

Why would your followers betray you? If they left you, I don't think they were ever followers at all...
Onyx can't do what he's doing, but I'm loathe to kill him. If he followed you before, maybe he can be brought back round.

Then Warryn shuts his mouth, he was talking too much, about things he knew nothing of. The Earth Elf looked up, unable to meet the man's eyes. Waiting for answers.
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Edd

Postby Edd » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Gerethenax smiles and wearily draws himself to his feet. He places a comfroting hand on Warryn's shoulder.

"He makes a compelling argument. He angers himself because he feels like I ignore the disrespect of others. He has taken a more active stance than I, and it seems many of my followers prefer his more...agressive approach."

He smiles to himself, a far off look in his eyes.

"You have always been true to me Warryn. You have made your journey with faith in your heart, and now it comes to a climax. Go and gather your friends, those who will help you in this task, and return to me here..."

Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:40 pm

Warryn looks up, and stands slowly.

He nods to his god, still a little confused.

They might want to know what it is they are gathering for... I'll tell them it's to defeat the usurping Paladin.

Warryn stands, collecting his shield and other effects. Taking a glace around at his shrine he sighs, it would take a long time to fix.

As he walked along the travelled road to Pathway he looked round, to see if his god was still standing there. It had been a strange week...
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Walking pon the road back to Pathway Warryn leaves the rest of the adventurers and goes to visit his destroyed shrine. He walked, focussing on the earth beneath him and trying desperately to avoid thinking.

Warryn-san, what are you thinking about?

I'm trying not to, because then imaginary people will turn up.

oh, that is most unfortunate, we would not want that to happen. So what is it that causes them to appear? what thoughts might that be?

Well, it's pretty much whenever I need some help, I tend to imagine that your there talking to me in my head, and then there's Onyx... who apparently is also a figment of my imagination. I really don't know what to do about that. He says I can't kill him, without me dying in the process - which means I have to give up my life - which isnt a problem. But if he's my imaginary enemy, that means that if he kills me then he is dead also... so why does he always try to kill me?

I'm afraid I do not know Warryn-san, perhaps he has become more than just your imagination?

I think he probably has, but if we are linked as 'brothers' then maybe it's me that should change, and then he will. Maybe it's better to accept what Onyx is trying to do, but do so in moderation. Accept that part of the Earth, the retributive side, along with the more gentle side...

Then the earth elf stopped... what of Gerethanax? where was he now? Maybe he was stronger now the avatar had been defeated?

I'm glad we had this talk Warryn-san, I would not want your imagination to conjure up fantasy. You need to be focussed.

Of course I do Shogo! Look! I got through an entire conversation without my head playing tricks on me

Warryn grins...

oh wait...
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Niamh

Postby Niamh » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:26 pm

Noticing Warryn slip away from the group Kel follows the elf, keeping a tactful distance - his gait and bearing, as well as the manner in which he escaped the other adventurers, told her that he did not want to be disturbed. Still, her curiosity must be satisfied as to what Warryn was doing so mysteriously, especially after the events which had taken place during their time clearing the entrance to the Hopewastes. As she begins to catch up with him at what appears to be the remains of some sort of cairn, freshly-shattered rock strewn around the landscape, she stops; Warryn seems to be having a conversation with himself - it seems to be personal so she busies herself with her diary. When he is finished, she moves beside him, unable to resist bomabrding the elf with questions.
Hello, Warryn. Sorry to intrude, but I'm curious - are you alright, who were you talking to? What is this place? What happened after the ritual? It all seemed to end so....suddenly.

**Kel**
Keladry 'Kel' Wright - Telerfret high mage, Principal and Professor of Water at the Arcane University, High Priest of Yashmanar
Gizmo - Light Elf Sorc/crafter, Captain of the Nomads, friend to rocks
Cinder - Efreet scout, High Priest of Eternity

Luke

Postby Luke » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:19 am

The elf doesn't seem too shocked. Not a lot more could go wrong...

I was talking to Shogo. He keeps me company. Sometimes...

The elf said this without a hint of shame, he was aware others looked down on him for such activites but he wasn't ashamed to resort to extreme measures in such harsh times.

Did the ritual end suddenly? It wasn't much of a ritual... I didn't even get to lead it. But that avatar is dead, and that's the first blow to Onyx. Or to me, I'm a little confused on that front. Oh I have something for you.

Warryn moves forward, slowly scanning the ground. He takes care to avoid an old man sat near the petrified statue of Shogo. Bending over he picked up a small flat stone. He then walks back and holding it out, palm faced upwards speaks in a monotonous voice.

I am going to defeat Onyx the usurper and reinstate Lord Gerethanax as the rightful god of earth. I've rounded up some people who wish to help. It will be dangerous, and possibly result in disaster, but if you would like you may come along. If you accept take this stone and when i call come to this exact place.

Warryn takes a look around his shrine... soon, he would fix it...
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Luke

Postby Luke » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:21 pm

Warryn leaves after his encounter with Kel and moves to the centre of his shrine. He prostrates himself in front of an old man standing in the centre. He then stands, and bows in the Serkanian manner of politeness.

Lord Gerethanax... I followed your instructions. I summoned the avater of Onyx and defeated it. I seperated him for the other gods. but... he said some things that have confused me.

Warryn pauses as if he is afraid of being reprimanded as a child is when they have to tell a parent that they broke into the cookie jar.

He said that we were brothers. That, at least in part, he came from me... is that true? He said that if I kill him, then I die too. That we are linked together. What does that all mean?

He looks waiting for answers at the old man, genuinely sorry for having to bother him.

**Warryn**
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Chee

Postby Chee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:06 am

A grey Shirakan approaches the shrine, grey robed and carrying a small ornate totem. He looks over at Warryn, giving a small sigh of relief.

There you are my friend. I was concerned. You should not run off on your own like that. I believe I have already pressed the importance of your survival and the danger you are in, you should not go unescorted.

He approaches and takes a seat a respectful distance from where warryn prays in his shrine.

Besides, it is obvious from the mission we undertook that we are, as a whole not ready to face the trials ahead. I had to witness you die even though I was mere yards away and still powerless to help you. If it had not been a test, the path would be doomed as would your god. It is of Vital importance that we being immediately in assessing your weakness’s and addressing them. You cannot fall again or else far more than just your life will be lost.

He looks over at Warryn and realise that his words are falling on deaf ears. Warryn is obviously focus upon his communication with his lord. Dr’eth decides to wait, sitting politely at the edge of the shirne, awaiting Warryn to grant him his attention.

**Dr'eth Kar**

Luke

Postby Luke » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:16 am

The old man merely smiles at Warryn.

The earth elf stands and walks over to Kar.

I know, I'm sorry, but I needed some space... I'm not used to so many people taking an interest in my whereabouts recently.

He picks up his shield, which now looks like it is encased in earth, the metal turned to stone. No weapon would break it.
I agree. I am not strong enough. That is why I have made the decision to enter the Hopewastes. I am going to find Shogo and Loph, they will be valuable allies.
He seemed firm on this point, no amount of ''it's too dangerous'' would dissuade him.
However, you mentioned before about discussing weakness and strengths, that, I would very much like to do.
The elf shakes himself down, he was wearing less armour now. His normal attire, his shield difficult to lift but very much comfortable to him.
Don't hold back, give it your all...
Ishan-bey - Kor Sorcerer

Return to “Pathway”