What is Tides Of Darkness?

Moderators: Ref, Senior Refs

Chee

What is Tides Of Darkness?

Postby Chee » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:37 am

Web Site: http://tidesofdarkness.webeden.co.uk/#

What is Tides of Darkness?

Ties of Darkness is a new Larp system based on the Warhammer 40k setting.

The system will use Laser Tag guns for the ranged combat and standard larp melee weapons for the close combat.

The missions (or adventures) will take place concerning the events surrounding the human imperial military. All players are human and are either a guardsman (Rifleman/sniper/heavy weapons) ,Officer, Commissar, Cleric, Tech priest, Psyker or Marine Scout.

The Tides of Darkness club will be providing all the laser tag equipment which is the Light strike series by the company Wowee. The guns are being heavy modified including complete repainting and rewiring new sensors into the product to create better game play.
http://www.wowwee.com/en/products/toys/light-strike

The missions will be day or evening missions (4-8 hours) and later we will be considering events if the system is successful.

The rules are pending construction. At the moment we are still trying to pin down the core game mechanics as the blend of laser tag and larp melee is proving and interesting mix. The imperial guardsman rules set should be released soon with the core game mechanics. Please check the website for more updates on the rules developments.

The next core games mechanics play-test to test out the latest sensor prototype will hopefully happen at little piddling H.O.P event. This should let us know if the core combat is sound and we can build the system and various character classes around this framework.

The web site is in progress and should be complete once the rules are finished and the first full play test as been completed.

Chee

Re: What is Tides Of Darkness?

Postby Chee » Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:45 pm

After careful consideration, we have decided to make Tides of Darkness not set in the Warhammer 40K universe. This is for quite a number of reasons but the most prominent ones are copyright issues, the laser tag equipment and limits of this technology not being compatible with the weapon sets of 40K and rather more importantly, I just don’t think I can do Warhammer 40K justice with what I have as a Larp system. The massive range of story and art that has already gone into the WH40K universe is staggering and what I currently have at my disposal just doesn’t feel like it will measure up to what’s out there.

However, this is a good opportunity to make some original content but enough familiar stuff for people to understand and really get their teeth into. The world mechanics and technologies can now line up with the OOC laser equipment we have so we don’t have the issue of bolt guns looking like laser pistols etc. It also means that we can throw in some unknowns and mysteries at the players as most people familiar with the warhammer 40K world will already know most of the ‘shocking truths’ and ‘big reveals’.

With this change I have reviewed the different ‘player character professions’ and with some alterations I believe the new character options give a sufficient range of areas of expertise. Once the full skills lists are published it should hopefully be clearer what’s available and what each class offers as game play experience.

The latest technical play test of the new laser rifles with the attached sensor Riggs was extremely successful. A Big Thank You to everyone who took part and helped out! Major modifications are now being applied to all the laser equipment.

Will
Over 9000!!!!
Location: Exeter, Velmaneth, Azeroth, The Three Kingdoms, Labyrinthia...

Postby Will » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 pm

<cough> RISEN world <cough>
Saga 2015 will be entirely celebrating and drinking with nothing bad happening and no bad guys showing up at all ever

Chee

Postby Chee » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:39 pm

With what I’ve got in mind so far I’d like to have a clean slate to start with and develop it from there. I’m looking at a space-age setting that allows for some more exotic explanations to the game content. The core game mechanics and character generation however could fit very easily onto the ‘risen’ setting template so we could try running some laser tag risen games at some point.

Ben
More posts than Nikki

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:02 am

<cough> HoP world in a thousand years <cough>
"And unconscious people always count as willing"

Tome of Magic 6.0

Phil.Priest

Postby Phil.Priest » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:44 am

1000 rava for a laser gun. Post to Darvan in year 163.

thx!
Kalist, Hope-Bringer, The Emissary of Hope
Lazar, God of Darkness
D'arvan Weyoun of House Aerielys
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do"

Chee

Postby Chee » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:45 am

In an infinite number of alternate worlds.... this actally happens

Dellam

Postby Dellam » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:07 pm

I think we need more settings where humans are the evil douchebags and the aliens are the huggy ones that want to get along...mostly...

Also necrons
Player of;
Vynrael, the Hound of Asternia
Jaguar, High priest of the Party
Ekrit, Nomad Magic Weapon maker of Yashmanar
Thromlui, Psychomancer, Nightmare made manifest

Return to “Tides of Darkness”